The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Strange leg swelling-Diet related?

My gelding, who normally has nice tight legs, has had some slight swelling in the fetlock joint since yesterday. Swelling is in the hind legs only. He is sound, and the swelling goes down slightly with work. He is out 24/7 so I know turnout isn't necessarily a factor. There is minimal heat in the swelled area only, coronet band and hoof are cool.

The ONLY thing that has changed was the addition of a new mutlivitamin supplement (Manna Pro Show Glo). He is on beet pulp, hay and Triple Crown Senior daily and no changes there.

Have you ever seen swelling from small diet changes?

Maybe-I'm still trying to figure out if my horse is stocking up from mud fever or a diet change to a new feed, or both. I've been told a dietary change could cause it. I guess about the only way to tell is take him off it and see what happens. Good luck.

I've only seen leg swelling in relation to diet when my mare wasn't getting enough protein to keep up with how much work she was doing - never from the addition of a vitamin supplement. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen though - if you're worried about it a quick phone call to your vet could tell you whether he/she thinks it would be possible or not.

Can you think of anything in your horse's life that might have changed recently? Even along the lines of, "It was breezy yesterday and he ran around a bunch when he was turned out, which he doesn't usually do...?"

Yes, it can be related to diet change. Leaky gut can also cause stocking up.

This happens to my mare if she happens to stand around a lot one day.
    She is out 24/7 as well. Like, if we have a rainy day and she stands around in the run-in most of the time.
    Once she gets out and gets moving again, it goes away.
    This started to happen with her around the age of 15. She didnt have this problem when she was younger.
    I asked the vet about it and he said it's normal if they stand around a lot for the legs (especially the back ones) to swell some.

manyspots-I checked on my mare today-expected her to be a mess as it rained all last night. She was actually less stocked up the legs were cooler than yesterday. It's been over 24 hours since I stopped the new food. Don't know if it's just coincidence but I thought I'd let you know.