The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Spinoff: Vacuuming horse questions??????

After reading the vacuum thread, it convinced me to buy a vacuum. So I bought a shop vac 5 gallon 2 horse power quiet series. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8477891
    Now I have some questions about it.

I used it today for the first time on my mare (she was great, didnt even blink an eye). So first off how much suction is to much? I tried to use the flat attachment (the one for floor cleaning) and it seemed like a lot of suction. It was pulling at her skin alot. After that I used the round brush attachment and it worked well but the suction was not very strong and the area it covers is very small. Which means it takes forever.

Sooooo.... what attachment do you all use? How do you decide what to much suction is? Any other tips or tricks would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ShadyLady_DQ; Oct. 27, 2009 at 12:13 AM.

I use the flat attachment, but angle it up at the top so the suction isn't flat on her...so if you were to put the attachment on her neck, lift the top up, and then when vacuuming, don't stick it straight on the skin, put the bottom down first. (It's hard to explain on the internet, lol.) But I'm glad somebody else has a shop-vac for their horse!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Ainsley I loved using it, her coat was so smooth after. Thanks for the tip I will try it today.

I bought a curry comb attachment for the Shop Vac online. It was $20 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I bought a curry comb attachment for the Shop Vac online. It was $20 IIRC.
    Like this one? http://www.stagecoachwest.com/produc...ode=showDetail

I was thinking of getting it, how well does yours work?

I just bought a shop vac cannister from Ace. It is a canister, with an 18' hose. It has lots of attachments, and an extended wand.

It is super, and does a great job at cleaning cobwebs.
    With the 18' hose, I am also hoping to use it to vacuum the horses.

It is on sale from 85.00 to 65.00 with a 25 rebate for a final price of 40.00 until saturday.

I love it so much and wanted to share.
    shop vac hang up 5 gallon wet/dry vac. # 2107290

This thread brings back memories. Back in the 60's when I was a kid, we had a large pony and were going to a show. It was too cold to bathe him, so we "borrowed" our mom's vacuum and cleaned him that way. My sister and I somehow figured out that this would be a good way to clean him and he was good for it, but boy was that sucker loud! It was one of those huge canister models and we used it several times after that on the sly.

I remember mom wondering how the heck the bag got so full.....

years later I saw ads for horse vacuums....

I wouldn't worry about the suction. Have you experienced the suction on the vacs made specifically for horse grooming (very expensive)? They will suck the tires right off your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the suction. Have you experienced the suction on the vacs made specifically for horse grooming (very expensive)? They will suck the tires right off your car.
    Off my CAR!?!?!?! well now I know how to change a tire lol

Anyway, I loff my vacuum I have been using it every time I ride. I often ride late in the day after school and my mare is getting her winter coat so no more just hosing off sweat and sticking her in the stall. I have found that currying the damp hair then vacuuming gets out all the gunk and dries the hair super fast!

Love hearing everybodies sugestions keep em coming!

So funny as I went to Lowes just yesterday to look at shop vacs for my guys. They make a mountable canister model that has a 20' hose which would be perfect when I get the barn built. For now though it cant be mounted and I am afraid it would tip over alot until then. It would have been perfect if it was on wheels.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...111&lpage=none
    Once the barn is built I would like to mount it in the wash stall but will probably mount it near the aisle so I can vacuum the aisle as well. They make an extender wand where I could probably use it on the cobwebs as well! It was only $59.00 which makes the deal even sweeter.
    For now I am just going to use my regular vacuum. It is a dyson "animal" so will have not problems with the hair or dirt.

Just a sidenote that if you are looking for a home vacuum (upright) and have pets, look no further then the dyson animal. I cherish this vacuum and hubby and I sometimes fight over who gets to vacuum because we love to see what all we can pull out of the carpets. We are sick we know

My horse would freak if I tried to vaccuum him! Haha.

I've only ever had one horse refuse to tolerate being vacuumed, most love it. My guys usually do Elvis imitations when they're being vacuumed.

You just start with the vacuum off and use the brush on the horse's shoulder, they adjust very very quickly.

I use an Electrogroom and just got an Anivac (combination washer and wet-vac machine from Canada).
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"