The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter/Jumper/Eventing barns in or near Toronto

Ontario, that is.

In the process of switching countries, horses, and barns (phew) and I need to find one in Toronto! I plan to take lessons for awhile and then hopefully lease or buy a new horse, maybe summer of next year... depends on a few things.

So far I've come across Wingberry Farm, which looks amazing (and expensive, though it's hard to say since they don't list anything on their website) and the Royal Canadian Riding Academy. My location is the North York area of Toronto, pretty close to where the 401 and 404 smack into each other. I'm willing to go about 45 minutes ish, but much longer and it gets tough to make it out more than a few times a week.

Thanks!

wingberry is about $1350 per month, but it is well worth it, I went to go see it but it was too far for us, but definitely a nice barn!.

www.equiman.com/forums has a lot of listings for barns

There are many top barns in Erin, king city, new market and caledon. If you want starter places to look.

what is your price range?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wtsimm
    Sanswill Designs- custom fly bonnets and wither pads:
    http://www.flybonnets.com

I can't say I've really set a price range and I'm open to a lot of ideas, but for example, $1350 a month is a little above it. (As a side note, is that just board or is that training as well?) Wingberry also looks kind of like it caters more to people that have horses already and serious A competitors, and I'm kind of looking to take a step back from the A scene. I would still really like somewhere that knows what they're doing and has a great reputation, though. I've had enough crappy lessons in my life.

Default Funny you should ask....

I have been checking out barns for the last 2 months. I have seen just about everything in York Region and some in Durham.

PM me and I can give you the scoop on the above mentioned and about one hundred others.

What is amazing is how densely populated the area is with farms and how few are actually viable.

ETA where exactly will you be living/working? Toronto is not the kind of city that you travel across every night to go and see your horse.....traffic is epic so I can at least help you get a feel for distance.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Sent you a PM

Wink

First of all welcome to Toronto....you have found THE horse capital of Canada. Just north of the city (within 15 to 20 miles) you will find just about every type of horse facility you can imagine. From top level A hunter/jumper training facilities to dressage and event training centres. And every level inbetween. If you have not already visited www.equiman.com please do so and submit your question there. EMG, as we call it, is the equivalant of the COTH site in the USA. Lots and lots of information on boarding and lesson facilities there. I am sure you will find what you are looking for within your budget too. Good luck!

Foggy River and Dream Crest are big eventing places. I'm not familiar with Sunnybrook, but its pretty close to the city.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Sunny brook is actually right in the city.

You will have a lot to look it if you don't narrow down your discipline a bit I think though - either h/j or eventing.

Not very helpful, but IME Jill McCrae @ Wingberry is fabulous. I first met her when I was helping ride Jimmy Elder's horses. She has an AMAZING resume and knows how to get the absolute best out of you and your horse. She helped me get my guy seriously going over fences and her exercises were great.

I didn't board @ Wingberry but if I had the chance (and the money *lol*) I wouldn't hesitate. Also I hear Margie is one of the best horsewomen around.
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!