The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mdelong Guest

Default Curious how much people spend on medical bills related to eventing injuries?

I am curious how much people spend on (human) medical bills related to eventing injuries?

Just on average for the different types of injuries..
    Last edited by mdelong; Oct. 26, 2009 at 04:54 PM.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Band-Aid + Neosporin + 40 oz. Schlitz Malt Liquor = $5

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Band-Aid + Neosporin + 40 oz. Schlitz Malt Liquor = $5
    LOL!

I have had years where shots and worming were my only expense and I have had years with over $10K in bills on just one horse. I usually own two horses at a time.

Well, I broke my wrist almost 2 years ago. It wasn't at an event, just a routine jumping lesson. Needed surgery. Hospital bill for surgery and plate in wrist = about $12,000. I paid the $100 co-pay and that's it. Plus $30 x 8 sessions of PT.
    Did you mean human bills or equine vet bills?

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I think my most expensive (for me) where co-pays to teh Chiropractor. Seems whenever I'd fall, somehow I'd wrench my hips. I'd go Lex's route until I could get into see him otherwise.

Horses? I think I got lucky overall with Char -- she was high maintenance between pads/bar shoes and joint injections, but no real injuries per se. I think my last summer with her was the most expensive... all those things plus 3 unsuccessful attempts at AI breeding. Frankie's bills were high in the year I had her but we needed to get the eye issue under control.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I got hit on the head today with a bale of hay; does this count as an eventing injury??
    (it really hurts, in case you want to know -- it was tossed from the loft above. Don't ask. Breakdown in barn routine, obviously)

Bandaids and neosporin, double yes to that.

Honestly, most horse-related medical bills that come to mind for my band of crazy eventers are NON-riding injuries...there were broken ribs from closing a stuck trailer window (ok, she is really skinny), piece of thumb bitten off, shattered elbow from turning a horse out in the mud, etc etc...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    Honestly, most horse-related medical bills that come to mind for my band of crazy eventers are NON-riding injuries...there were broken ribs from closing a stuck trailer window (ok, she is really skinny), piece of thumb bitten off, shattered elbow from turning a horse out in the mud, etc etc...
    Agree completely--almost all of my horsey injuries happened on the ground (who knew how dangerous hand-walking, trailer-loading, etc. could be!!). Vet bills the same--pretty exclusively pasture incidents, oh, except the trailer incident mentioned above.

eventing related? maybe $30 - so far my eventing related owies have been treated with advil and some of those heating pads you can just stick on you from some less than stellar xc jumping sessions/rounds (ruhroh, did I just jinx myself?)
    horse related? thousands and thousands (reconstructive hand surgery, broken finger, broken nose, sprained ankles, sprained knee, etc). Only 2 of those (1 sprained ankle when I decided to try to land on my feet when falling off (FYI, did not work ) and 1 broken finger) were even jumping related - the rest were when I was flatting or not riding.

If you mean horse medical bills- none that I can think of were eventing related. Biggest injury culprit is stupidity in turn-out for my 2 Mensa members
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Biggest "expenses" by far would've been my multiple fractures and head injury from a fall off Bonnie's mom, but I was in the military at the time so that was "free". The only other big one was knee surgery from a fall off Bonnie (why do I stick with this family of horses? I never fell off Gwen even ONCE) and there I couldn't tell you how much it cost because it was covered by insurance--we probably paid a few hundred in co-pays, that's it.

I'm lucky--if I smash or wreck something I can do my own X-rays for nothing, and frankly if it isn't broken I usually don't bother even going to the doctor. I was an athletic trainer before my current job--I know how to treat injuries. And ibuprofen is cheap.
    Click here before you buy.

does anyone think its worth spending more on safety equipment? like buying a better cross country vest or better quality helmet?
    Depends on the dollar value you place on your vital organs and your brain.

Me, I won't even sit on my Shetland without a helmet. Vests I'm not so particular about; my brain is my most valuable organ.

I wish they would do head-to-head (pun intended) comparisons of helmets so we could know which ones are BEST, rather than which ones pass the standard. I know there must be helmets out there which squeak by, and those which exceed, but how am I or anyone else to get this information? I go with the best fit, as I do think fit is important to how a helmet protects you.

Otherwise, "better" is fairly undefined when it comes to safety equipment.
    Click here before you buy.

Oh, people injuries.

I always have insurance, and honestly wouldn't step foot at the barn without it. I actually didn't go to the barn for a week when I had changed jobs and had to wait for the new insurance to kick in, I knew I would get run down by a stampede or have a truck roll backwards onto me if I went without insurance! LOL.

With that I had re-constructive surgery 10 years ago that cost my insurance company over $100,000 after the surgery, rehab, and the brace to stabalize my knee. Out of pocket I believe I paid about $1000 with the various co-pays (I had a high surgery co-pay then). That was my only hospitatization. All various ER trips for broken nose or concussion cost me $100 each as that is my ER co-pay.

Medical Bills:
    off of an Event horse = $0 (I've evented for over 10 years)
    off of a crazy *** Dressage horse that I was riding for someone => broken leg + surgery luckily I had insurance I didn't pay anything though I'm told broken legs cost upwards of $15k
    "A good feeling after the round is better than any ribbon." ~ Bert de NĂ©methy

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    I always have insurance.
    I do too- without it I think I would have been bankrupted several times over with my injuries and illnesses- insurance, however, doesn't mean I have not been out of pocket a pretty chunk of change for my medical care
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

While we are on this topic where do most people purchase their medical Insurance for those who don't havea plan through their employer?

Quote Originally Posted by advmom View Post
    While we are on this topic where do most people purchase their medical Insurance for those who don't havea plan through their employer?
    If you are any type of independant contractor you can often get a reduced rate through state programs. This is what my mom has for coverage. It is more then I pay through my work, but still manageable at under $200 a month, and she has no co-pays. Also watch the larger companies like Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Signa and such because they often will do an open enrollment that will get you in a group rate with being an individual.

Quote Originally Posted by advmom View Post
    Your options depend very much on your state of residence. In some, there are few options if you have ever had any illness or certain kinds of injuries. In others, they have to issue a policy no matter what.

I've not had any medical expenses related to eventing. However, I once took a horse out to hand graze for 5 minutes to the tune of $8,000.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post

I wish they would do head-to-head (pun intended) comparisons of helmets so we could know which ones are BEST, rather than which ones pass the standard. I know there must be helmets out there which squeak by, and those which exceed, but how am I or anyone else to get this information? I go with the best fit, as I do think fit is important to how a helmet protects you.

Otherwise, "better" is fairly undefined when it comes to safety equipment.
    I so agree with this!!! I really wish we had more info. I ride in a GPA because I am guessing that it is better than a more basic approved helmet (but have no real data to back that assumption up). I may just be paying a lot more for the same protection (but I don't think I am.....).

Quote Originally Posted by Gry2Yng View Post
    Oh, people injuries.
    And I was wondering why you needed shots and worming.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    And I was wondering why you needed shots and worming.

YOu only wonder because we have not met in person.

Had a dressage horse buck me off and give me a hematoma on my tailbone that you could see on the x-ray. I think that cost me $85. Other than massage and chiro (which if I added it up wouldn't be pretty) bandaids, neospor and coronoa. I would rather bleed out than drink a Schlitz.