The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Carriage Identification

Hello.

This weekend I found a carriage listed on my local Craigslist. They wanted to barter for it, and I had an item worth about $700 that was of no use to me that I traded. I think I made a good trade. I do drive, but I only own a Road Gig and a Puddle Jumper marathon cart. I've never owned a 4 wheel wooden carriage. The previous owners said this is over 100 years old. It's dirty, but seems to be in good condition. The wood is all intact and solid, the leather is in great shape, it rolls easily with no squeaks or binding. It was always stored inside.

I hope my link to the photos comes through.

If you can see the photos, what do you think? Is this a 100 year old carriage? What type of carriage is this? What would you check out to see if it's road worthy and safe? I know I need to have the bearings checked. It has no brakes. Would you use this for driving, or as a lawn ornament?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1563895838
    Diane
    The Willows Welsh Mountain Ponies

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by WillowsWelsh View Post
    Hello.

you can see the photos, what do you think? Is this a 100 year old carriage? What type of carriage is this?
    it almost looks like a "Courting buggy" the mennonites would use
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I'd never use a carriage as a lawn ornament!?!

I'd want to have a better look at it to see what it needs to make it fit to drive.

Wheels and shafts in particular.

I wouldn't want a 4 wheeler with no brakes at all. But that's easy to sort out (for me anyways )

I agree, it's a courting buggy, but it's the Amish that use them here.

Looks like a runabout; couldn't tell you how old it is though.

It's not a cut-under vehicle, which would worry me if I didn't have a lot of experience driving or a more experienced horse.

If it truly is an antique, and suitable for pleasure showing, I'd restore it and only use it at shows. Wouldn't be my first choice for going down the road on a regular basis. But that's just me.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

I'd love to see it. Can you possibly post the *public* link? Other FB users have done this for us non-users so there must be a way.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

"I think I made a good trade. "

I think you did too.

It is a pretty little thing and most of the vehicles of this sort, condition and age seem to run around $1000.+

The points about safety made by others you already know but the warnings are worth listening to. It would make a nice little parade vehicle with a well broken horse.

Jeez...I have parades on my mind.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Default Facebook

I didn't realize there were privacy settings on Facebook. I believe it can be viewed by everyone now. I updated the settings.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Two of the four ponies I have who are trained to drive are very experienced and have been in parades, so that's a good suggestion to use it for that. This vehicle is surprisingly light weight. I believe it could easily be pulled by a 13 hand pony, and the wheels and shafts seem to be about the right height.

With no brakes and a limited turning function I would not want to take this anywhere hilly or bumpy.

I live right in the midst of Amish country, so I'm thinking of taking this to them and have them go over it and fix anything that's weak or needs replaced. I think the posters who said it's Amish made are probably right, although I did not think of that at first.
    Diane

Quote Originally Posted by WillowsWelsh View Post
    I didn't realize there were privacy settings on Facebook. I believe it can be viewed by everyone now. I updated the settings.
    Even with the settings updated there is a pretty large percentage of people who do not have access to facebook because of filters in place where they have internet access (like work).

I for example can not look at any photos that are posted such that they require me to go to facebook to see them. Some smart person here did once show how a link from a facebook photo can be posted so even those who can not get on facebook can see them.

I think it is very pretty.

I would have it gone over to check for soundness. It is hard to see dry rot and it can end a drive in a hurry if something breaks.

I couldn't tell what was on the wheels. If it is steel, it will be very loud on roads. If rubber, you may want to have it checked to be sure it is sound. If nothing, I would look into getting something so you aren't driving on the wood.

In ADS pleasure shows, you have to use the same vehicle for ring classes and cones and since it isn't cut under, it would put you at a disadvantage in cones.

Let us know what you find out when you take it to have it checked.

I can't see the pictures so this is based on people saying it is a Runabout.

I have 2 of them and find them very comfortable to drive. Driving across a field in my Runabout vs. my mom's meadowbrook - the Runabout is very comfortable.

Not being a cutunder - keep the steel rims as they are much safer - no chance of them binding on the box it you do cut a corner to tight.

For obstacle classes at pleasure shows I have no problems going fast and being VERY competitive, winning my fair share against tough competition.

Here is a link to my carriage with my current 12H pony pair. I have also shown this carriage with a smaller pair. ~11H, a 13H single, and an almost 16H horse.

http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/t...irandpond2.jpg

Christa

Very nice photo Christa. That's a little what my photos look like except the "body" is smaller and the seat is like an overstuffed leather cushion and back.

The wheels are rimmed with metal. And there are these metal "bumpers" on each side where the wheels rub when turned sharply, I guess to keep the wheels from rubbing the finish off the wood.

I doubt I'd use this for competition, except maybe a turnout class at a pleasure driving show. I see it more as a parade or Sunday afternoon drive vehicle. I live in a part of Ohio that is very flat with lots of paved but little used country roads. It may be ideal for road driving around here. The local folks are used to seeing the traditional Amish box type carriages and I haven't had any problems with crazy drivers. Although right now the roads are full of huge harvesting equipment and I wouldn't drive the roads just now.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas.
    Diane

Diane, if you don't mind telling - about where are you located?

We were B & R in OH (northeastern) and also lived for 10 years near Columbus. We were hoping to relocate back there last year, but it didn't happen.

Yip
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

I'm in West Mansfield, a little town about 45 minutes Northwest of Columbus.
    Diane