The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help for a friend...bomproofing??or something else?

Talked to an old friend yesterday, who told me about another friend that is having problems with her horse. Note, before I get flamed, it's not me, they live in CO and I live in VA...
    This person adopted a green mustang, mustang has been backed, bends, takes contact, has been shown grocery bags and whatnot and has been "sacked out". Owner of said mustang is green. I know, I know, green on green equals black and blue.. but she seems determined to stick it out. Owner quite stupidly took the green horse on a trail by herself, when she had never take the horse on a trail at home or with anyone before. Horse bolted, owner scared, yadayada. NOW the horse freaks whenever owner moves in the saddle. Lifts an arm, etc, the horse takes off. I told her that it would be best to get rid of the horse- or take lessons. Owner is tight on cash after divorce, but my friend who has started horses before is trying to help her.
    Any ideas? Horse is totally fine with weird flapping things on the ground, it's when owner is in the saddle that problems arise- and it is probably related to the trail bolting incident. I told my friend that if she's scared, and can't get over that fear, she has no business owning a green mustang. not sure what to do, but since someone competent is helping her in the meantime- any suggestions?

Both owner and horse need to get to a trainer ASAP.

That's the only cure for this, otherwise that horse may well end up in a bad situation, and her owner in the hospital or dead.

She shouldn't have bought a green horse if she's a green rider, period. The potential for mucking up both their lives is far greater than it would have been if she'd gotten an already trained animal.

Part of the bolting is because that horse doesn't trust your friend, and most certainly doesn't see her as the leader. The ONLY way to head off this wreck is with professional training.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

What ah2 said.

No amount of despooking will help that horse until the owner learns how to ride. "Backed, bends, takes contact, has been shown grocery bags" etc just means the horse knows the basics, and is now safe for an experienced rider to go on helping him learn. The owner has no experience, ergo they both need training.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Both owner and horse need to get to a trainer ASAP.

That's the only cure for this, otherwise that horse may well end up in a bad situation, and her owner in the hospital or dead.

She shouldn't have bought a green horse if she's a green rider, period. The potential for mucking up both their lives is far greater than it would have been if she'd gotten an already trained animal.

Part of the bolting is because that horse doesn't trust your friend, and most certainly doesn't see her as the leader. The ONLY way to head off this wreck is with professional training.
    Exactly!

Normally I would recommend TTouch for "despooking" but in the hands of a complete novice it could be a disaster!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Key word - MUSTANG
    They need to work with someone who has dealt with these successfully.
    Yes, He is great and will continue to be great on the ground.
    You can probably tie his legs together if wanted.
    Mountain Lions and most other predators attack from above.
    He was not ready to be ridden and when he saw movement from above, and it all went to h#ll in a hand basket,just confirmed his natural instincts
    Comfirmation of fear-flight, or NORMAL reaction.
    Please tell her not to try it again.