The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions for a Biter? Other horses, not people.

Am looking for a solution I may have not thought of yet.... (Other than physically removing the horse from my property, but we are rapidly getting to that. I am frustrated.)

This horse needs to be top dog in whatever group I put him in, which is fine, mine are all pretty low key, go-with-the-flow types. But, he isn't happy just being the boss. He bites. He breaks skin, draws blood, bites other horses. Besides skin, he has destroyed other horses' blankets by the power of his teeth - they are pulled open like sardine cans. He bites down, horse moves on, he hangs on, and 'rip!', there goes another turnout. He has cost me hundreds in blankets and has found a way to even use the muzzle against me....

I have finally bought him a muzzle. It works wonders. But, it is rubbing his nose a bit. It is fleece covered, but it is still rubbing. Am thinking of sewing some more fleece onto it? I was also thinking of trying one of the other grazing-style muzzles that comes in nylon or heavy leather. I can see him destroying that, too, though. He has become wise enough to also use the muzzle as a sort of destructive tool to rip boards off of fences. 4 board fence, he positions edge of muzzle on edge of board and twists until board is laying on the ground. Never in my life have I had a horse this destructive to other horses and property.

Horse must be on full turnout. Private, single-horse turnout is not an option. Is there a better muzzle out there that won't rub noses? Self defense classes for my other paddock-mates to Biter? Just live with nose rubs as he is a jerk of a horse? Am glad to see peace restored to the paddock with the muzzle, but am feeling a little guilty caging him up.

At first glance I'd say muzzle, and a hot wire around the top of your board fence to keep him off it. Depending on what your options are.

I don't know what his pasture mates are like, but how about a larger herd, or a group of rowdy young geldings that will play with him? Could tire him out a little and/or help to satisfy him emotionally.

I feel for you. Destructive horses can be incredibly frustrating to manage.

I've known people that have used a shock collar on aggressive horses, and when used correctly it works very well.

http://www.tthorse.com/

Grazing muzzles will rub too, you may need to get a couple of different ones. I'd like to rig a string from between the ears/poll strap and down to the top of the muzzle, take the pressure off their nose...might take some ciphering to sort that out.

He's a dominant, non confident pig of a horse. He doesn't want to play, he wants to dominate.

If there is ANY way to offer him solo turnout with hotwire to keep the pig off the fence, I'd go for it. Lacking the ability to bite the other horses, he may go to his other weapons to act out. Chasing them through fences, cornering them and attacking with kicks, etc.

I feel for you. I LOATHE this personality in a horse. It makes for a lonely life for them.