The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

SMH718 Guest

Default Footing for indoor riding arena

Hi,
    This is my first post, but I love following this forum. We are going to be redoing the footing in an indoor. The indoor will be used for lessons, light jumping and basic flatwork. What are your recommendations for footing. We are trying to stay very economical, and the gentleman who will be doing the work has suggested a mix of mostly sand, crushed bluestone and calcium chloride. I have heard that calcium chloride is controversial and causes lung problems. Anyone have any tips? Currently the footing is mostly sand and a lot of sheep poop. We are taking over management of this barn.
    Thanks in advance!

When we did the footing in our indoor, we first put in an 8" base of Ag lime (crused limestone) and had it rolled and laser leveled. We then added 2 " of sand and 1" of Permaflex rubber. It's held up well --over 13 years, with some refreshing here and there with a bit more rubber and sand. The horses seem to love it, we have 10 or so that use it daily. We pick out their feet before they leave the arena--you'd be surprised how much footing you lose when they walk away with it! We water it once a week and there is no dust.