The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Briarwood Guest

Default Does anyone know a good farrier in the Macomb,IL area

I recently purchased 13 acres outside of Macomb, IL. The barn, stalls and fencing are ready, but I need a farrier before I can move my horse and mini-donkey down here. My Lip mare is I.R. and has foundered in the past. She is now sound with a normal insulin level due to the feed regimen and supplement she is on and due to an excellent farrier I have used for over 25 years. I am moving too far for him to come. I need a farrier who will talk with my current guy to find out what he does with her front feet. I don't want a "know it all" who will not even talk with another farrier (if you know what I mean.) I will pay mileage if needed to get a good farrier. Does anyone know any farriers in this area? Thanks for any leads.

I'm not really familiar with the Macomb area, but check out these two sites:

horseshoes.com
    illinoishorse.com

You'll get some good references there if you post the same thing you did here.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Briarwood Guest

Never heard of horseshoes.com. I'll try there.

Thank you.

Find Mike or Travis Finn.....Mike worked at the U of IL vet school (one day a week), and I think Travis still does. They are both great.

Do you suppose your current farrier would accept a round trip plane ticket to come show your new local farrier exactly what he's been doing for the horse?
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Briarwood Guest

My current farrier currently drives from Colorado back to the northwest of Chicago area every 6 weeks to continue to work with his long time clients. (He left the area and moved to Colorado several years ago.) I have offered many bribes/incentives to current farrier and I will be just too far out of the way for him to come here. To fly him to this area, I'd have to charter a small plane to the Macomb airport (I guess). We think that he can talk with an experienced farrier to explain what he has been doing. I know enough to know that I can't tell a farrier what to do.

animaldoc, Thanks for the tip.

Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by Briarwood View Post
    My current farrier currently drives from Colorado back to the northwest of Chicago area every 6 weeks to continue to work with his long time clients. (He left the area and moved to Colorado several years ago.) I have offered many bribes/incentives to current farrier and I will be just too far out of the way for him to come here. To fly him to this area, I'd have to charter a small plane to the Macomb airport (I guess). We think that he can talk with an experienced farrier to explain what he has been doing. I know enough to know that I can't tell a farrier what to do.

animaldoc, Thanks for the tip.

Margaret
    ..are you currently using Jim Powell?!

Briarwood Guest

Yes, Jim is the excellent farrier who has been doing my horses for over 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Briarwood View Post
    Yes, Jim is the excellent farrier who has been doing my horses for over 25 years.
    Yes! I used him when I lived nearby. HE'S GREAT.

Good luck finding someone like him.. he's one in a million!