The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's better for a 2 year old? Update page 2: need some more advice.

I live in a city. I could either board my 2 year old filly close by, but she would have limited turnout. Benefits include, I could work with her daily, ground drive her in the riding ring and take her for short walks. Disadvantages include limited turnout for a growing horse (paddock).

Or, I could board her out on 40 acres. Benefits include she would get to run and develop her growing bones and ligaments. Disadvantages include I could visit her twice a month, so limited time for ground training and human interaction.

In your fine breeders wisdom, what's better for a two year old?
    Last edited by Centuree; Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:13 PM.

She's two... as in three in the spring or 2 in the spring? For me that makes a difference...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

If she already has nice manners, stands well to be groomed, for farrier and vet, leads well, etc., I would give her the extensive turnout, as long as she will be fed, monitored for health, receive farrier care, vet care as needed, etc. Mine learn what they need to know by the time they are weaned and then I don't do a ton with them until they are turning 3 and ready to be backed.

Sorry, I should have clarified: she will be 3 in the spring.

Her ground manners are fairly good - but she's a dominant girl, so not always super easy. She does express her opinion from time to time.

What does "limited turnout" mean? And are these really your only 2 options?

Sorry, again I should have clarified.

Limited turnout means paddock. So she would be out all day in a 30 by 60 foot paddock, and then in a stall for night.

Turn her out for the winter, bring her in in the Spring and start her, quietly, under saddle. Young horses do not need to be handled daily to grow up into solid citizens.

Alright, thank you for the input NODQ and Home Again. So far I am hearing that turnout is a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Centuree View Post
    So far I am hearing that turnout is a better option.
    Agreed.

To me, 30 x 60 turnout is not really turnout at all. But I also would keep looking because generally I do not think it is a good idea to be an absentee owner.

Thanks YL. The problem is I live on Vancouver Island, not a lot of pasture in Victoria or close by. Its hard to have it both ways.

Turnout...and then as NoDQ and Home Again said for the spring

You don't need to handle a 2yo daily. I would turn her out. Just monitor her health and let her grow. It's even better if she gets turned out in a group.

I understand your reluctance to put her someplace where you can't keep an eye on her. But, if you are confident that someone will be caring for her, I think turn out is your best option.

I like turning dominant fillies and dumb geldings out with my broodmares. It's a good education in manners that I don't have to teach them.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    I understand your reluctance to put her someplace where you can't keep an eye on her. But, if you are confident that someone will be caring for her, I think turn out is your best option.

I like turning dominant fillies and dumb geldings out with my broodmares. It's a good education in manners that I don't have to teach them.
    Yes, this put manners on my stroppy madame!

I agree with the turnout as well. It really is best for her in the end. And even after backing and riding next year, don't be afraid to let her have another couple of months next winter. She really is still only a baby.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I have to agree with the consensus - turnout -to grow physically at this stage would be more important to me. Luckily I don't have to make that choice as it is a tough one.

Another vote for turnout! I lived in the city and had the same issue so I feel your pain. I recommend trying to get as much turnout as possible until she's 3 and then think about handling her more.

Okay thank you guys. The majority has spoken. Turnout it is. Very appreciative of your input as I was actually thinking the opposite might be better. Fortunate for me, I lucked out and found a place with big rolling fields, that is not too far from me, so I can still see her 3 times a week or so. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Centuree View Post
    Okay thank you guys. The majority has spoken. Turnout it is. Very appreciative of your input as I was actually thinking the opposite might be better. Fortunate for me, I lucked out and found a place with big rolling fields, that is not too far from me, so I can still see her 3 times a week or so. Thanks everyone!
    Perfect!!

One more thing to think about... how well drained is it?? Or will she be out in a 40 acre bog? (it being the PNW and winter... )
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I do my horses a little differently. Granted I live on acreage and they have pens and turnout but not unlimited because our soil is so poor that if I turned them out 24/7 they would live on acre dry lot pastures!! Their feet do more harm than their mouths!!

I spend alot of time with my foals, loading, leading, brushing, tying etc. Then when they are weaned I pretty much ignore them until they are 2 except for an occasional brushing, normal worming and shots, and the farrier every 6-8 weeks when he does the show horses. Even though they usually don't get handled much in the time between trimmings, they are ususally really good with the shoer because of the ground work I laid when they were foals. Then we break them at 2 for about 90 days, then they are turned out until they are 3 or 4 depending on how quickly they are maturing.

One year I sent my 2 year old in the early summer to a friends ranch 6 hours away--they were suppose to come home after the summer but one thing lead to another and they did not come home until they were 3-1/2 they learned all about the world of horses and they didn't seem to forget their early lessons!!