The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chacco Blue/Lord Pezi choice for Rio Grande mare

So, we have a very pretty, 16.3 hand Rio Grande - xx mare. She has an inspection score over 7, a sister who is an Elite Mare, a mother that as a full TB was an intermediare level eventer, who was inspected AHS and GOV with a score also over 7.

The mare has had very nice hunter/dressage foals from stallions like Rousseau and Soprano, but we are looking to perhaps breed more of a pure jumper foal to keep or sell after it is under saddle. My husband and I have really loved the Lord Pezi and Chacco Blue offspring we have seen in Europe. The ones we have seen are athletic, tight jumpers with lots of scope.

The mare has quite good conformation, legs and bone, but could have more knee in her movement, and for a top jumper, some more scope. Her topline is nice, with a good neck, but ideally, the neck be set on an inch higher coming out of the shoulder, so although she is okay, I would not want to breed to a jumper stallion that didn't pass on a nice topline or an uphill tendency.

Any thoughts?

I think that Lord Pezi is not likely to improve the top line or neck set but will possibly enhance jumping skills. I would not use him if you would be disappointed with the mares conformation.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Chacco Blue! I love him. I just saw one in Germany with stunning conformation. I really looked at him hard, he looked like a conformation hunter. His top line was gorgeous, jumped like a freak, even though he was young, not at all down hill.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Has anybody seen Chacco Blue himself unsaddled or a recent conformation shot?

I had a conformation picture. I have to look, my computer crashes regularly and I just replace them.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

I love Chacco too and finally have a mare in foal to him. Here are two photos of Chacco and one of his sire Chambertin, who I like very much as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chambertin-stand.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	27032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chaccobluestand.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	27033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chaccoblue.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	27034  
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Visit our website: Gift Hill Farm and on Facebook

We were very interested in Chacco Blue but waited too long to buy semen and now it's 2x the price, so there are others to consider in that price range now. I would love to see more offspring from him!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com