The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Went to a barrel racing practice....

and I have to say I had fun. I warmed up a friends stallion; haven't sat in a westren saddle in many years and it was only once then! One thing that I found though was the lack of helmets on children. Many kids were riding and running around. Not a helmet in sight. To top it off, the Friday before at the same place a little girl was bucked off a horse and a helicopter had to come and take her away. The announcer told us that the girl had a concussion and was okay. She also said that they encouraged helmets for children, but that is not something I saw. I know that adults do not wear helmets in western, but is it normal that children do not either?

Depends on the club and the grounds where you ride. My 13 year old daughter competes locally (she finished as Reserve Champion in her division this year) and helmets are mandatory for 17 and under. 4H also requires helmets. But the same kids can run at an NBHA show without a helmet. As a parent, I want my kid to be safe so she wears a helmet (so do I) but I guess you can't force people to do it. Helmets are not really popular in the traditional rodeo type events.