The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best (easiest to use) wheelbarrow?

So my after hearing my mom complain and complain about her wheelbarrow for months now, I've decided she needs to get a really good one for her birthday which is in just a few weeks. Her main complaints: flat tires, too hard to maneuver through uneven terrain (grass, rocks, potholes, etc.), killing her back.

She cleans 2-3 horse stalls (private facility, all grass, dirt, and rocks, no concrete aisles, etc.) about 3-4 days a week, is 5'3, about 135lbs and quite strong and fit for her size and age. What's the best wheelbarrow out there to make her work easier? I'm willing to spend the money if I know it will last and keep her happy Thanks in advance!

ETA: I don't know if this should make a difference, but she also does lots of 'around the barn activities' and uses her wheelbarrow for other chores like collecting rocks, moving equipment, etc.
    Last edited by *Liz*; Oct. 24, 2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: grammar ;)

This spring I got the True Temper Garden Barrow.

I love, loff and lurve that baby! It has an ergonomic one piece handle and true extra-large wheels. It turns on a dime, can be moved forward or backward with one hand and goes over any type of terrain.

My barn is on gently sloping/rolling ground, and I have no trouble going uphill with it. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, even if it did lose The New Car Smell after the first load of poop.

I highly recommend it.
    On hoofbeats and heartbeats, your love came to me. With carrots and kisses, I now set you free.
    RIP, my beloved RootBeer (4/1973-8/2007)

If she likes a push wheelbarrow, then one wheel is easier.
    If she doesn't mind that pushing it may not always be smooth and can just pull it most places, two wheel ones are "da bomb", as kids say today.

I vote for those large bicicle tire two tire, smaller ones, but smaller tires would also be ok, if that is all you can get.

A very large wheelbarrow she may overfill and ANY you pile too much on will not be that easy to handle, better make 1 1/2 trips with a light one than 1 trip fighting.

I like these; http://www.smartcarts.com/ with the smaller flat free wheels.
    I have the large one which holds the poop of 6 horses daily, is very easy to handle and is in it's 10th year of faithfull service. Your Mom would probably find a 7 cu ft model more suitable.

I love love love my rubbermaid 2 wheel farm cart. I got it when I was injured and could only use one shoulder. The thing has two large rubber wheels the size of small bicycle tires, and they don't go flat. It sits very stable- the horses can't "help" by tipping it over like with a regular wheelbarrow and can be easily dumped or pulled using one hand because the balance over the wheels is great. It was a little expensive, but I used to have to replace a tire every 6 months on my old wheelbarrows which lasted about 4 years before they got damaged. I've had this one for 3 years now and it still looks good as new. No rust either.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I like these; http://www.smartcarts.com/ with the smaller flat free wheels.
    I have the large one which holds the poop of 6 horses daily, is very easy to handle and is in it's 10th year of faithfull service. Your Mom would probably find a 7 cu ft model more suitable.
    Ditto. However, I believe this is the actual manufacturer:

http://www.ezhaulcart.com/home.php
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by blaster View Post
    Ditto. However, I believe this is the actual manufacturer:

http://www.ezhaulcart.com/home.php
    This one and the rubbermaid ones are my favourites, very easy to push.

Default Love my Rubbermaid!

I've had my Rubbermaid wheelbarrow for about 8 years now. I love it and I don't think it will ever die. Hubby did replace the tires with "no flats" because the original ones kept going flat after about year 6.
    Cindy

I got a really cool metal-framed 2 wheel wheelbarrow at TSC a couple months ago. The working students looooooooove it.

Jennifer

My favorite is the four wheel big gorilla wagon from TSC.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/gorilla...pacity-3591848

It is great for cleaning out my stalls when my ponies are in. I can park it in front of the door leaving enough room to get in then roll it so there is no gap for the ponies to escape, since it is 4 ' long it fills the door way perfectly and no long handles to get hung up on. It is my experience that it is much easier to pull than to pickup and push, I also own a very nice 2 wheel, wheel barrow that I haven't touched since getting my gorilla wagon. For Christmas you can get her a golf cart and she can pull her gorilla wagon around in style.

Another vote for Smart Carts. They are the greatest.

Hubby did replace the tires with "no flats" because the original ones kept going flat after about year 6.
    Whatever wheelbarrow you decide to get for your mom, by all means spend the extra $$ and replace the tire with a solid "no flat" tire. They are also much easier to push/pull because there's never any variation in air.

I have two construction model steel wheelbarrows and got sick and tired of loading them up and getting flats.

I spent $40 apiece for solid tires ten years ago. The tires are holding up better than the wheelbarrow frames & handles which have been replaced once already

Mali-where did you find the no flat tires for your Rubbermaid cart? I'd like to do the same for mine (which had the small tires, not the bicycle type) and I'm not sure where to find ones that will fit the Rubbermaid cart. Thanks!

If you want one you love, you need to test drive a few.

I personally hate one-wheeled ones. Others hate two-wheelers. Whatever suits the driver! I have the big blue 2-wheeled one from Lowe's, it's great.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    Mali-where did you find the no flat tires for your Rubbermaid cart? I'd like to do the same for mine (which had the small tires, not the bicycle type) and I'm not sure where to find ones that will fit the Rubbermaid cart. Thanks!
    I didn't even ask Hubby where he got 'em - I was just too darn excited to finally not have to pump up the tires every week! I'll ask him when he gets home tonight. I'm pretty sure it was a farm supply store (NOT Tractor Supply), but it might have been a tire shop as well.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    Yes - mine also had the small tires, not the bicycle ones. The new tires are just a skitch larger, but not enough to make a difference.
    Cindy

Love my rubbermaid

one of my best purchases.....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Flat free tires; http://www.airfreetires.com/

I believe the Smart Cart was the first of it's type, and was followed by the E-Z Haul. They are NOT the same. The Smart Cart plastic bit snaps out of the metal frame whereas the E-Z Haul does not.
    The best thing about this kind of cart is that you don't carry any of the load weight. It is balanced to carry it on the wheels and all you have to do is push.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    I love love love my rubbermaid 2 wheel farm cart. I got it when I was injured and could only use one shoulder. The thing has two large rubber wheels the size of small bicycle tires, and they don't go flat. It sits very stable- the horses can't "help" by tipping it over like with a regular wheelbarrow and can be easily dumped or pulled using one hand because the balance over the wheels is great. It was a little expensive, but I used to have to replace a tire every 6 months on my old wheelbarrows which lasted about 4 years before they got damaged. I've had this one for 3 years now and it still looks good as new. No rust either.
    Ditto. These things are practically indestructible. And if by chance you run into a practiced wheelbarrow assassain, you can order replacement parts online without having to buy a new one.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Default Question on Smart Carts/EZ Haul

How do the Smart Carts and EZ Haul handle ramps (like going up into a dump trailer?)

What's the turning radius?

Thanks!