The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default He came in lame last night.. update, vet was here..

So I'm a bit whiney. We had a show next weekend, just a little dressage schooling show, but it's not even really that, he's just been doing so very well. Nothing obvious, no heat, no swelling, his feet are like concrete, this is a horse, that unless he did something stupid, hasn't really taken a lame step in the 6 years I've had him. This morning, there's a tiny little puffy spot on the outside of his right front, about where you'd see ringbone on a draft or check a pulse. Not hot, not any visible boo boo. He went out this morning a bit better than he came in, but still "off", though not as head bobbing as he was last night. And I was just saying to my neighbor how very fortunate I've been with my big horse, he just never gets sick, injured or lame.

So palpation, flex and ultrasound later and he's got a strained suspensory. No tear thank goodness, but he's on the shelf for the next month. Guess I'll go have that bladder surgery I've been putting off now. Sigh.
    Last edited by 2ndyrgal; Oct. 24, 2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Update

That is just the most sickening feeling, one that unfortunately we all know only too well. I hope it's nothing serious.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    ....... And I was just saying to my neighbor how very fortunate I've been with my big horse, he just never gets sick, injured or lame.
    Never ever NEVER say such a thing. Don't even ever think it either.

I'm sorry-how is he this afternoon? Did you ice it?

I'm sorry about your pony! That sucks! Sending happy healing thoughts your way!

I was riding with a friend today and she said she was worried they might pull a shoe. I said "no....Fleck just had his done not too long ago, he's going to be good"! and sho nuff.....Turd pulled a flippin' shoe!!! I swear.... you just can't jinx yourself!

Oh HE!!. However, GOOD JOB to notice it. SO many people wouldn't even see a "tiny little puffy spot". Aren't you so glad and lucky you saw it today and not next week after you'd competed him and it was a real tear. Congrats. Good horsemanship.

At the present moment I have 2 horses and 4 good legs.

Those are not good stats

Hope you get to show!