The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Top trainers in PA or NJ

I will be moving from Europe to the US next Spring and was wondering if anyone could suggest some good barns and trainers. I would be looking for a trainer who has trained several horses to GP level and who has a classical approach. Also the yard needs to have excellent facilities- big stables, daily turn-out, indoor and outdoor arenas etc. Could you also let me know how much I can expect to pay for this?

Welcome to the U.S. - where will you be located? There are several very good facilities in the area & it might be easier to suggest one if we know where you will be located.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Thanks! Not quite sure yet, going house hunting inDecember, but it will be somewhere between NYC and Bethlehem PA, maybe Hunterdon County NJ or somewhere around there.

He Amaii, Vlaming?? Ik ben van Kortrijk regio (nou ja, Izegem om precies te zijn) en woon op grens Hunterdon/Warren.
    How about Betsy Steiner in Frenchtown?

Hi Lieselot, I am actually South African, but have been living in Tervuren outside Brussels for some time now. Will keep Betsy Steiner in mind. Dank u wel!

Sara Schmitt-Hawk Hollow Farm-Readington
    Heather Mason-Lebanon
    Both in Hunterdon County. Rode with Sara and she is great!

Heather is good too but never rode with her.

Great! I will definitely follow up on the suggestions.

There is also

Stone Horse Farm, the sister barn of Flying Change (Heather Mason), Lars Petersen clinics threre regularly and Performance farms, with Dr. Ceasar Parra. Cathy Morrelli.

There are a tonne of top coaches in that area. Full of great opportunity and most have their web sites up so you can get an idea of the facilities. There are so many but depending on the time of year, there are quite a few that go to Florida.

I would be looking for a trainer who has trained several horses to GP level
    That narrows the field significantly.
    and who has a classical approach.

Also the yard needs to have excellent facilities- big stables,
    Don't judge the care by the exterior beauty of the facility
    daily turn-out
    Unlikely in the better show barns
    Could you also let me know how much I can expect to pay for this?
    Not many nice facilities with trainers take in boarders-only. You need to be training with the trainer. Board at a nice place is minimum $800usd. Training minimum is 1,000usd. That is bare minimum. If you find a place with an indoor for less than that, assume the hay will be not of the best quality and not much of it given and the bedding with be sparce.

All trainers are not for all riders.

Winchester Farm in Flemington NJ is dressage paradise.

The barn is stunningly gorgeous and the training is excellent. (There are multiple facilities featured in the link, look for Winchester).

The facilities include 12x14 foot box stalls, heated wash stall, what I believe are the only set of pillars in NJ (hey, you said you wanted classical), etc etc etc.

The trainer has trained horses to grand prix and can execute grand prix tests both astride and on the long lines.

He is kind to the horses, extremely educated, and I have not seen one single drawrein or similar gadget on the property and there is no "crank and spank".

Daily turnout is available on a schedule customized to your horse.
    If you have more than one horse, they can go out together.
    Mine are out together 20 hours a day.
    He can adjust to whatever rotation you request (overnight, during the day, early morning and early evening, whatever).

The barn directly abuts miles and miles of gorgeous trails with excellent footing.

Now that you have heard all of this and seen the video and are, I am sure, convinced that board is $2,500 per month (which, for the record is LESS than what some of the people mentioned above charge who do not have a single turn out paddock on their premises), rest your eyes on the fact that $650 per month covers full basic board inclusive of turnout, blanketing, and holding for the vet and farrier. Grooming and training packages are available in addition.

There is no indoor but he moves to a place with an indoor in the winter.
    The arena is professionally footed and has an excellent drainage system, so even if it really monsoons overnight the arena is usually good to go by the afternoon.
    The arena is also lit with stadium lights and he is totally open about the schedule: I have been known to be finishing up my third horse after work at 11:30pm.

www.winchesterfarmnj.com

Default NJ Trainers

Add to the list Michael Barisone and Cesar Parra.

Heather Mason, Hunterdon County, NJ. I have had my horse in for training with her and ridden with her for a couple of years. She can take a baby through the levels properly.
    http://www.flyingchangefarm.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Add to the list Michael Barisone and Cesar Parra.
    The OP stated that turn out is mandatory.

As far as I am aware, there are no paddocks at Cesar Parra's.

Thanks so much everybody! I will start to make appointments to go and see the places mentioned. As Meupatdoes stated, turn out is very important to me as I have young KWPN mare and I do not want her to go crazy standing in a stable 23 hrs a day. Can anyone confirm whether there is turn out at Cesar Parra's?

It has been a while since I have been over there, I thought I remember seeing a couple pastures out front? At any rate here is the web site. I am sure they wouldn't mind talking with you.

http://www.piaffe-performance.com/

Jessica Ransehausen. THE best.