The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default Santa Fe Hunt (SoCal)- anyone doing the clinic tomorrow?

I sent in my membership today for the Santa Fe Hunt! After doing the hound exercises all summer, I am really excited for my first season as a member of the actual hunt. I only joined as a social member as my work- personal travel schedule and young baby at home preclude me from joining as a full member. But I figured this would be a perfect introductory season. My young mare has been super on the hound exercises and I can't wait to call her a full-fledged foxhunter!

Anyone else from SoCal? SPLAT? Imnotclever?
    Last edited by hey101; Oct. 23, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Jealous! Jealous!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Good for you.. I too spent the summer roading with the hounds, and became so addicted I had to sign up! I even borrowed a horse the one day my mare was off... gave up a 10 yr. anniversary trip to Italy to keep going out with the hounds... I am a true addict!

I hope you have a great season!

Default Welcome Aboard

I'm doing the social membership as well. A great way to get out there and have some fun without using up all my free time.

I may even get the hubby out a time or two as well. I should send you the roading song he wrote after his first roading adventure - which I believe you were there to experience?

Are you coming down to road again any time soon? If not, I'll see you opening hunt!

I'll be there all year. I ride a buckskin pony who is an absolute saint for me. Will you guys be joining us for hound exercise? Also, if you get really addicted mid-season, they will let you upgrade your membership by just paying the difference in cost.

The most popular fixture is Garner Ranch. It has lots of friendly coops and less heavy brush than the other fixtures. It's also easy to navigate, and we don't tend to lose people there. If you have a limited number of hunts those are probably the ones to hit.

My favorite fixture for actual hunting is the Round Top fixture. It's a bit split up and we have to hack a bit to get there, but I've had some wonderful days of hunting there. This fixture is only hunted on the weekdays due to the limited parking. There are no jumps, so if you want to go first field but aren't excited about jumping, this is a good option.

Look forward to seeing everyone out, please introduce yourselves, maybe we can trailer pool sometime. Most people tend to congregate at Kingsway Farm and then head to the fixture from there.

Congratulations!!!!!!!! I can't wait to read about your adventures.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Anyone going to the clinic tomorrow at Kingsway? I am, and can't wait! I'm also going to go cubbing on Sunday, I believe it will be at Garner Ranch? This is our last set of outings (schooling shows? ) before the big "recognized competition", opening day on Nov 8th! I'm so excited for the first formal hunt. both my horse and I are hunting virgins .

I'm going to see how she does tomorrow and Sunday to decide if we will just go for it and go first field, or hang back in second or third field. Fortunately with her, the first 5 minutes of anyting new and exciting are usually wild and hairy, and then she takes a deep breath and is like "I so got this Mom, let's do it!". I think whether we go first or third field, she'll be fine after that first 5 minutes and if it's all the same, I'd rather do some jumping thankyouverymuch!

Can't wait to meet everyone. SPLAT, is your hubby still gung-ho or did that first outing kind of turn him off? I thought he did fantastically well, FWIW.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Hope you have a great time, I've always enjoyed the annual hunt clinic. I'm stuck sitting at home nursing my broken collar-bone. I'm crossing my fingers that the doc says I can ride by opening hunt. Of course the naughty pony will have to agree to behave herself . . .