The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down What's up with the name calling on COTH?

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    wow, kind of a d*ck thing to say, anonymous stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by lstevenson;
    Exactly. This is why I think MAC DEUCE is a delusional troll.

Quote Originally Posted by clm08;
    Is MacDeuce possibly related to the troll who a while ago posted about watching JB grind Cooper down on XC phase? I can't remember the specifics, I only remember the troll saying she had personally watched JB running her exhausted horse during XC earlier this year, an unfounded accusation, of course.
    Isn't there a code of conduct that we agreed to when we joined this blog group? Is this behavior appropriate? Isn't COTH supposed to be a resource for constructive discussion and information, or is it a place for name calling and inappropriate statements?

Sounds like things that elementary school kids would say. Obviously I was given the wrong impression about what this blog site was about because there is alot more of this kind of "stuff" out there.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

That's what you get for stepping in the hornet's nest of rabid fans who believe that people they hold up can do no wrong.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Toughen up, cupcake.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

*snorts*
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

LexInVA--your signature line is the best ever.

I don't think she is being too sensitive. When someone starts calling you names on a forum, the natural response would be to start issuing some serious insults right back. That's when everything starts to go downhill. That's why moderators usually step in and nip things in the bud.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    That's what you get for stepping in the hornet's nest of rabid fans who believe that people they hold up can do no wrong.
    Well worded.

Wink

I dislike IMMENSELY the way that some people do not READ posts for the meaning and instead get stuck on whatever they can find to trip someone up on some esoteric fact, or find fault with the messenger when the message they happen to deliver, which is opinion, goes against the tidal wave of popularity.
    I dislike how some posters gang up on newbies and those who take a standback look and say something, which is their opinion, and to which they are entitled, just like the self styled gurus and fashionistas who think they are smarter than everyone else here.
    You know, sometimes my grammar sucks, and I try to spell, but the keyboard gets in the way. I kneejerk post, and sometimes I am called out on my hasty logic. But I have been on the receiving end of the very unfair and steamroll-like name calling and believe very strongly that there are some smarta$$ posters on this forum who are convinced they A) write epistles from on high, B) have the right to harass ANYBODY they want with impunity, and C) think their manure pile doesn't have an odor like everyone else's.
    This is a place for opinion. Not for name calling and personal attacks. I don't like characterization as it has no place here or anywhere - it's especially unfair in print.
    And that is MY opinion! Stink as it may!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Look, Mac, here's the thing.

Questions like yours are often asked on the forums. And while they usually spawn great debate, they don't usually spawn name calling.

However, when the poster who poses the original question has no or very little history of posting on the message board, the more established posters assume that it's a random person who is just trying to stir up trouble, either just for the hell of it, or because they maybe have a personal vendetta against the person they posed the question about. A person who does this is commonly called a troll, and their sole purpose is generally to just cause trouble and drama. We try not to respond to these people.

Since you have very little history of posting on this board, and your first real conversation seems (note I say seems as this is the way it came off, regardless of how you meant it) to accuse Jennie Brannigan of ignoring signs that may have prevented Cooper's injury, many people assumed that you were just interested in causing trouble. Hence, the troll name calling.

Just to clarify, since you seem new to the board. I agree, it's not right, but it can be very difficult for us to differentiate between a troll and a newbie with a legitimate question.

It's a bulletin board, not a blog site. Sorry, pet peeve, call me an a-hole.

Obviously I missed the latest kerfuffle. Lucky me. I shan't go looking, it's tiresome and will never change the fact that this (being an old and venerable community) is my favorite BB by far. I know the locals. They are imperfect. Sometimes decidedly so. I like it that way, and this glass-house dweller is fresh out of stones to throw anyhow.
    Click here before you buy.

What's wrong Mac?

Billy Goat got your Gruff?
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Ah, yes, I remember fondly when I first started posting here. I questioned Laine Ashker's judgment at the time.

I was called a troll, told I did not know what I was talking about, etc. I also caused a kerfuffle about a certain item of apparel that shall not be named lest this thread get side-tracked.

I think, since then people have at least realized that whether they agree or not, my opinion is my opinion and I am not a troll...

No, I don't think it is right for every new person to be called a troll. When I see something that does not look right, I simply do not respond. Certain other people can do the same thing. Also, some people do need to learn to take a step back from their idols, as Lex mentioned. Everyone can make mistakes, not even Jim Wofford is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    Everyone can make mistakes, not even Jim Wofford is perfect.
    Ah hell, lightening is gonna strike now...

A good suggestion for anyone's future reference might be to avoid the appearance of impugning someone's judgement without strong supporting evidence while their horse is still in critical care at New Bolton. That tends to bring out the grumpy bears...can't imagine why...

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I dislike IMMENSELY the way that some people do not READ posts for the meaning and instead get stuck on whatever they can find to trip someone up on some esoteric fact, or find fault with the messenger when the message they happen to deliver, which is opinion, goes against the tidal wave of popularity.
    I dislike how some posters gang up on newbies and those who take a standback look and say something, which is their opinion, and to which they are entitled, just like the self styled gurus and fashionistas who think they are smarter than everyone else here.
    You know, sometimes my grammar sucks, and I try to spell, but the keyboard gets in the way. I kneejerk post, and sometimes I am called out on my hasty logic. But I have been on the receiving end of the very unfair and steamroll-like name calling and believe very strongly that there are some smarta$$ posters on this forum who are convinced they A) write epistles from on high, B) have the right to harass ANYBODY they want with impunity, and C) think their manure pile doesn't have an odor like everyone else's.
    This is a place for opinion. Not for name calling and personal attacks. I don't like characterization as it has no place here or anywhere - it's especially unfair in print.
    And that is MY opinion! Stink as it may!
    I agree totally with this post, I too sometimes post a reply in haste, particularly when I am being harrassed over something false or insignificant. There are far too many people on this board that think that it is their job to put down, or make assumptions that are totally incorrect. I have REALLY stepped back from many posts here lately after a couple of unreasonable people began their "antics" (particularly on the H/J forum as I do "cross over" into both worlds!)

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Ah hell, lightening is gonna strike now...

A good suggestion for anyone's future reference might be to avoid the appearance of impugning someone's judgement without strong supporting evidence while their horse is still in critical care at New Bolton. That tends to bring out the grumpy bears...can't imagine why...
    SUBK, there is no amount of justification for those who misinterpret a post or who make incorrect assumptions about a post to behave in this manner. And the newbie, troll or whatever thing most certainly resembles grade school antics.

Sorry, I don't accept your reason to justify your behavior in this matter.

Good grief. Pot - meet kettle.

MAC, your post originally inaccurately stated that Cooper suffered a "demise on Sunday" and queried "If only they had verbal input on their own welfare for when us humans mis-judge the signs. How unfortunate for a wonderful horse." Not only was it an incorrect statement of the facts to use the word "demise", but your statement also assumed that "us humans" "misjudge[d]" the signs of Cooper's welfare, thus implying that you believed that Jennie and her team competed the horse on either Saturday or Sunday without proper regard for his welfare.

That's a serious charge (not to mention poor grammar). I don't have a stick in this fight, but honestly, I thought subk's reaction was about right. I read your post and my first thought was that it was a return of someone who had an axe to grind against Jennie about a year ago. Didn't read like a legitimate question - it read like pot-stirring - as does this thread. I'm sure that's not what you intended, but it was a fair reading of the original post.

Most folks on here have been here a long time, and alot of us know one another off line as well. It's a pretty good group, but for the occasional hysteria which can infect just about any community, offline or on, and subk has been here for awhile and is someone I, at least, consistently think offers smart and insightful views from someone who has competed at both the upper levels and started out youngsters. Not that it's worth much, but I'd take a breath and take a good look around before you start accusing folks of being bad actors.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post

MAC, your post originally inaccurately stated that Cooper suffered a "demise on Sunday" and queried "If only they had verbal input on their own welfare for when us humans mis-judge the signs. How unfortunate for a wonderful horse." Not only was it an incorrect statement of the facts to use the word "demise", but your statement also assumed that "us humans" "misjudge[d]" the signs of Cooper's welfare, thus implying that you believed that Jennie and her team competed the horse on either Saturday or Sunday without proper regard for his welfare.

That's a serious charge (not to mention poor grammar). I don't have a stick in this fight, but honestly, I thought subk's reaction was about right. I read your post and my first thought was that it was a return of someone who had an axe to grind against Jennie about a year ago. Didn't read like a legitimate question - it read like pot-stirring - as does this thread. I'm sure that's not what you intended, but it was a fair reading of the original post.

Most folks on here have been here a long time, and alot of us know one another off line as well. It's a pretty good group, but for the occasional hysteria which can infect just about any community, offline or on, and subk has been here for awhile and is someone I, at least, consistently think offers smart and insightful views from someone who has competed at both the upper levels and started out youngsters. Not that it's worth much, but I'd take a breath and take a good look around before you start accusing folks of being bad actors.
    Too funny--this is exactly what I thought when I saw this post!

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post

As a point:

Main Entry: 2; demise
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English dimise, from Anglo-French demise, feminine of demis, past participle of demettre to dismiss, from Latin demittere to send down, from de- + mittere to send
    Date: 15th century

1 : the conveyance of an estate
    2 : transfer of the sovereignty to a successor
    3 a : death b : a cessation of existence or activity c : a loss of position or status

In other words, Cooper's demise would have been the ending of his ability to continue in the event. This would fall under definition 3a. Definition 3b also fits, as his place in the standings was ended.

I also ran Mac Deuce's initial post in the other thread through Word's spelling and grammar check. It found as many grammar mistakes in that post as it did in the post above, so I am unsure where the grammar issues are in Mac Deuce's post.

While subk can and does provide thoughtful posts, that does not mean that Mac Deuce's point is invalid or in any way less important or thoughtful than subk's posts.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    It's a bulletin board, not a blog site. Sorry, pet peeve, call me an a-hole.

Obviously I missed the latest kerfuffle. Lucky me. I shan't go looking, it's tiresome and will never change the fact that this (being an old and venerable community) is my favorite BB by far. I know the locals. They are imperfect. Sometimes decidedly so. I like it that way, and this glass-house dweller is fresh out of stones to throw anyhow.
    Nicely stated, DW!

Sorry, but if one smells like a troll and acts like a troll, one is probably going to be called a troll.

If you want to change your image, change your behavior. Maybe don't go falsely accusing people of things when you don't know the facts??