The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A few questions ...if you could help me out ?

Hi there !

I am looking at my new mare as possibly breeding in the next year or 2. I am looking at breeding something for myself not for resale. I have a few questions that if anyone can help with that would be great !

I would be looking at breeding to a Hanoverian Stallion to produce a jumper. My mare is an Elite Hanverian Mare out of tambourin.

1. What is average price for semen ? I have seen anywhere from 500$ -5000$ ?

2. How far in advance do you usually have to book ?

3.any good books/links to get more informed and great info ?

Thanks !
    G

Quote Originally Posted by To My Surprize View Post

That is the correct answer! Seriously though, you will find a vast range between many of the stud fees. For an Approved Hanoverian stallion though, you will likely find them to be between $1,200-2,500 US.

As far as how far in advance you have to book, it entirely depends on the stallion and the Stallion Owner. Some of the more sought after stallion might have a full book by June. Also, many Stallion Owners offer discounts if the stud fee is booked and paid by January 1st, etc. Your best bet is to search for a stallion you like and contact the Stallion Owner and discuss booking options with them.

If you're breeding for a Hanoverian, your best place to start looking for a stallion would be on the American Hanoverian Society website.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

You may find good deals on fresh semen around now, for pre-booking of next year's season. I find it helpful to book well in advance, especially if the stallion is popular. Should you decide to opt with frozen, there is generally no need to book in advance...you just buy it.
    Price of semen is all over the map, again big variance if you decide to go fresh or frozen.
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)

That's like asking what is an average price for "a purse." It's all over the board and it's not always the "most expensive" purse that goes best with your outfit or is most practical for your situation. Generally a "breeding dose" of frozen is less expensive than a comparable shipment of fresh chilled for a lot of reasons, but there is also more risk (although not as much more with all the successful breeding protocols these days) of not getting a pregnancy with frozen. Factors like how successful a horse is in competion or how hard the horse is being competed and how many good progeny the stallion has on the ground, etc. are all components of the price in addition to the stallions own get. WIth both fresh and frozen, there can be parts of the cover contract that deal with rebreedings if your mare does not take or if she loses her pregnancy and since they vary, you probably want to get that pinned down. Also get shipment and collection (for fresh) costs pinned down and if you are going to use frozen, make sure you have a tank available on your end to store it until you use it. This might also be another fee to factor in. Frozen protocols might also involve injections which, if you are going to follow those protocols, you will need to factor in.

2. How far in advance do you usually have to book ?

This varies too. If you are going to be using frozen from a foreign based stallion, check with that stallion's representative here in the states early on to see how they work things. Often they only buy/import a couple of times a year and it really helps them with determining how much to bring over if they know what the interest level is - otoh, some have enough stock that they almost always have certain stallions on hand. If you are going with fresh and the stallion is in competition, you will want to see what his competition schedule will do to collections. Sometimes a competition horse may be unavailable for a fresh chilled collection. On the "booking" per se, there is often no reason that you would need to book very far in advance at all and often the fee and booking fee are paid together. However, during "off" seasons like now, sometimes you can get great deals that are tied to booking in advance (now).

3.any good books/links to get more informed and great info ?

Lots of great info in threads here and on a lot of repro facilities web sites. I'm not sure if you are wanting breeding info or pricing info or stallion info etc. If you are brand new to breeding, it's worthwhile to pick up one of several good breeding/foaling mechanics books. They scared the snot out of me, but I liked Blessed are the Broodmares and the Complete Foaling Manual.

Quote Originally Posted by To My Surprize View Post
    My mare is an Elite Hanoverian Mare out of tambourin.
    This is a gentle correction: Your elite Hanoverian mare is BY Tambourin—it's always BY a stallion and OUT OF a mare.

When you mention your horse's breeding, you may want to consider telling people like this (example): My gelding, Starbuck, is by Sandro Hit out of a Rosier mare—or like this: Starbuck (Sandro Hit/Reina (Rosier)) As I put it in that 2003 thread, it's Daddy/Mama (Mama's Daddy)

Just so you don't feel alone, I had this same information pointed out to me in 2003, when I bought my first baby. In fact, I was hysterical about bringing him home,... and I think it might have been Monstrpony ... or Chocomare ... ? Maybe it was Spot (who's been banned) who taught me.

Anyway, ... welcome to the very unusual world of breeding...it is VERY VERY addictive!!!
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Thanks guys ! I really appreciate it !

Actually, just as a giggle ... I had TWO people correct me!!!

It was Bundy ... are you still around, Bundy? And this is what she wrote ...

you posted as to how it is correct to refer to his breeding
    It should be :

Dormello/Rosier/Usus

It is not correct to say "Donnerhall/Rubinstein" - unless his father directly is Donnerhall, and his mother's father is Rubinstein himself.

Just a big of warmblood pedigree lingo!
    I had the unmitigated gall to say my baby was a Donnerhall/Rubinstein baby ... so it was a much bigger faux pas than yours, TMS!!! Don't worry...we've ALL been there ... even if we don't admit it!!!
    "For God hates utterly

ok so....she is by tambourin out of loretta ? IS that how it should read ?

thanks !!!

Yes! Except, who is Loretta's sire? You need to put all three!
    "For God hates utterly

we do not see mares named in describing pedigrees in holstein. sire x damsire x third sire, stam.

Actually, to be completely correct, slashes mean the next name is a stallion and hyphens mean the next name is a mare...so....

you could state her breeding by typing
    Tambourin-Loretta/Lanthan or Tambourin-Loretta (Lanthan)

or just list the sire (Tambourin) and then the first Damsire (Lanthan) and then the second damsire (Akzent I) like this:
    Tambourin/Lanthan/Akzent
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Go figure ... learn something new every day!!! I stand corrected!! Thanks ahf and ne1! I guess it's true we never stop learning.
    "For God hates utterly