The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Default I can't take it anymore..

There is a very sweet oldster at the barn where I board. He is the BO's retired horse. The problem I have is his feet.. He is going to get a nose bleed if they get any taller. No one remembers the last time a farrier has been out to see him.. safe to say it has probably been at least 6 months easy.. My Trainer said the farrier called a few weeks ago to see if the horse still lived there... DUH he's lived her for the last 13 years or so!!!.. but he has yet to come out to shoe him.

Anyways.. I am thinking of offering to pay for my farrier to look at this guy and trim him or do SOMETHING with his feet. They are so long now he is actually wobbeling on them... no steady base of support at all. He also has to "flick" his hooves to walk.. it just pains me to watch the poor guy try to move..

Lest you think I am exaggerating I snapped a pic of his stilts.. I mean hooves... and yes there are shoes nailed to the bottom of those suckers.

What would be a good kind approach??
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Oh my, heavens above the poor guy is walking in stilettos!

Ok I'm just a college student so I don't know what appropriate action should be. But it looks like this is a case of neglect? I'm not sure you should have the farrier work on the horse without owner's permission but it looks like he needs some serious attention asap.

Sigh...

Mention something to the BO that it's starting to make you uncomfortable leaving your horse in their care when they so obviously neglect the care of their own horses. If they have so little concern for their own, they must not have much to spare for your horse.

Maybe the loss of cash flow would be a bit of motivation. Do not reward their neglect by doing it for them. It's not going to solve the problem in the long run.

Well my trainer leases out their barn.. so it would cause my trainer loss of income.. and she (my trainer/BM) is the one responsible for the care of my horse as well as the other horses.

The BO just has this guy in a stall.. I mean they provide his perioglide (sp?) for his cushings and other supplements etc.. I don't understand why the feet are neglected.. It is painful to watch him try to mosey around.. He's in his late 20's I think age wise I don't know how you can miss those feet
    ';;;;;;; clique

Oh my goodness! They are just terrible. Poor guy!

Do you ever see the owner of the horse? Just walk up to him or her and say "hey what's the deal with Dobbins feet?" Offer to have your farrier do him the next visit and they can pay for it.... sometimes the direct approach is the best and easiest.

Isn't this the guy who had the elf slippers at one time? I seem to remember you mentioning that.

OK, so looking at the feet it looks as thought he is the stages of being straightened up from that. In my experience shoes just don't stay on for an eternity while the feet keep growing, and the fronts look rasped down. At the ASB barn that foot profile is not automatically evidence of neglect, they do it intentionally for whatever reason. I think they are actuallly going for that flick.

Anyway if I were you and it bothered me that much I might just ask the BO straight out "how come his feet are long like that and is it something special?" with as much wide eyed innocence as I could muster. I don't know how to segue gracefully into volunteering the services of my farrier without offending. Got to think about how to do that.

OK, there's "my farrier will be here such and such day, he is really good and <inexpensive> <just starting out> <needs clients> <loves to work on these old guys to make them comfortable> <really gifted with these older horses and their physical problems> <enjoys helping these old guys out so much he does it for nothing> . . anyway you get the drift. I'd actually sit down and have a talk with your trainer first,since on re reading your posts it sounds as though she could act on behalf of the BO and accept your offer easily, and, the fallout if you do offend could affect her and her business. (If that makes sense, it's late and I'm tired).
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

That poor horse. I shudder to think about the negative impact this will have on him. Because it sure as he!! won't be positive.

Thank you for caring about him.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Isn't this the guy who had the elf slippers at one time? I seem to remember you mentioning that.

OK, so looking at the feet it looks as thought he is the stages of being straightened up from that. In my experience shoes just don't stay on for an eternity while the feet keep growing, and the fronts look rasped down. At the ASB barn that foot profile is not automatically evidence of neglect, they do it intentionally for whatever reason. I think they are actuallly going for that flick.

Anyway if I were you and it bothered me that much I might just ask the BO straight out "how come his feet are long like that and is it something special?" with as much wide eyed innocence as I could muster. I don't know how to segue gracefully into volunteering the services of my farrier without offending. Got to think about how to do that.

OK, there's "my farrier will be here such and such day, he is really good and <inexpensive> <just starting out> <needs clients> <loves to work on these old guys to make them comfortable> <really gifted with these older horses and their physical problems> <enjoys helping these old guys out so much he does it for nothing> . . anyway you get the drift. I'd actually sit down and have a talk with your trainer first,since on re reading your posts it sounds as though she could act on behalf of the BO and accept your offer easily, and, the fallout if you do offend could affect her and her business. (If that makes sense, it's late and I'm tired).
    Nope he's never had the elf feet.. I think you are thinking of BuddyRoo.. I think she had a horse like that....I've never posted about this guy before and he is only growing stilts..

I don't see the BO much but I may just stop at the house (at the end of the drive) and ask. They are nice people and really should know better.. I am hoping they just don't realize it has been so long. But I will make it a point to talk to them next Tues when I am out there.
    ';;;;;;; clique

holy granola! Must say though, wish my horse's hooves were that hard. If I neglected his like that, they would flatten out like cow patties...

The owner must be paying bills on time, right? This is between BO/BM and owner. The BO should have his feet done and bill the owner. Not sure you, as an individual, can just pony up the cash and have them done, even though someone may need to foot the bill if owner disputes it. Farrier might not even work on the horse if a 3rd party just comes up and says, "Hey, work on this horse" even if you offer to pay for it. No good deed goes unpunished.

It's possible there are people responsible for writing a check every month for this horse (lawyer, executor, whatever) and someone has dropped the ball on submitting the right bills and scheduling the right care. Billpayer can't very well pay the bill if horsey falls off the shoeing schedule and the bill is never submitted. It happens. Talk to the BO/BM.

ETA: Missed the part where you said it was the BO's horse! That sure throws a kink in things, doesn't it? Speak to the trainer, or BM, or whoever is in charge of scheduling care.

"OK, so looking at the feet it looks as thought he is the stages of being straightened up from that. In my experience shoes just don't stay on for an eternity while the feet keep growing, and the fronts look rasped down. At the ASB barn that foot profile is not automatically evidence of neglect, they do it intentionally for whatever reason. I think they are actuallly going for that flick"

Yes, shoes can just stay on for an eternity while the feet just keep on growing. Too bad I'm so far away, I would love to have a go at those feet. The hoof trimmings would keep a dog happy for years.