The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When You Are Uneasy, Or I Think Rosie Is NQR - Update Page 1

Disclaimer: I've already emailed my vet.

Ever since the weather turned cold, my daughters pony has not been herself.

She is stocking up behind and is stiff undersaddle.. a bit unwilling to go forward. I did a 3 day bute trial and she improved dramatically. All it took was a gram a day. So the easy answer is that because she is 16, she has some arthritis and the cold is bothering her.. she needs some Adequan, maybe her hocks done and particular attention paid to keeping her warm and comfortable.

But... today I noticed that her left eye looks - NQR. She is just barely, almost imperceptibly, squinting. No tearing, no swelling to speak of.

Now. If this were one of my other horses I would not be typing this, because I would not have this feeling of dread.. nothing, nothing is worse than thinking something is wrong with your Baby Girls Baby Girl Pony. I probably wouldn't be so uneasy if she had not had a mystery illness in August - very high fever of unknown origin that was controllable with banamine but did not resolve until she was put on Naxcel. We still have no idea what was wrong w/her, the only thing on her bloods was an elevated fibrinigen.

So.. I am not 100% sure that the stiffness is just arthritis.

Where do I begin? My vet will have ideas, but will want my input. I am thinking bloods and flexion, a lyme and EPM titer.. what else?

Updated Monday, October 26 - In true pony fashion, Rosie made sure that every symptom was GONE by this morning. So by the time my vet got here, there was really nothing to see. So we jogged her - sound, active. Did a complete physical exam - eyes, lungs, heart all look and sound great. Pulled a lot of blood, poop for a fecal. And we'll have some results of that in a few days. So I guess I am waiting again!

The human baby girl also pulled a fast recovery and was able to go to school today. Maybe it's some sort of subplot of the Baby Girls.. I don't know what to think...

other than to be grateful that at least for now, everyone seems ok!
    Last edited by EqTrainer; Oct. 26, 2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Update
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Oh goodness! Jingles!!!

I don't know the symptoms as well as those of Lyme, but I would at least consider Erhlichia (sp) as well as Lyme. You've been so much wetter there than I have, and I would imagine your tick issue has been much worse than mine.

Does she walk ok, I mean, other than the stiffness, does she appear to be in full control of the direction of her legs?

Thanks JB. Let's face it, I am her fool

She *seems* to be neurologically fine but the eye... yes, that made me think neuro. LMEqT rode her this evening and she did not stumble even while circling on a hill. But she also did not want to go forward, which is odd for her as she is a forward pony. She's not grumpy.. just a bit subdued. Which basically was her only symptom last time she was sick, but I was not here so who knows, my farm sitter doesn't know her that well.

Our ticks had gone away for a while but my white doggie came in with one on his head yesterday so yes, that is on my mind..

I think I'll go take her temp again.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Remember that Lyme can sit dormant for years even, so just because you don't have ticks now, or haven't had them for weeks...

Man, first we have to take care of LMH and her little boy, now you and your little girls! Let's hope this is "just" a virus of some sort. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility it's related to whatever "it" was in August.

Jingles!

Follow your gut - every time my horses have been vaguely NQR, there was something wrong, even if it was a simple thing. When you spend so much time with them you see those little changes.

Hope it's nothing serious!

these are the exact symptoms my dog has when he has a TBD flair. He limps for unk reason, his eye on that side is usually especially "wet" and he seems sore all over and it seems squinty.

when this happened the last time, he was due for surgery and his platelet count had plummeted. It continued to drop to beyond scary numbers. Thought for sure I'd lose him. Put him on a course of Doxy and in a few days his platelets were back ABOVE normal and he was like a new oldmandog.

Hi EqTrainer,
    Want a worried NQR buddy. My 18yo gelding - same as your pony. Cleared up the eye thing about 2 weeks ago. We flushed it and use anti-b ointment, but he is stiff, unwilling to go forward, etc. Already did the neuro tests, low pos on epm titres. Drawing blood for a complete work up tomorrow.

You will be in my thoughts. Keep sharing what you know. Jingles

gry

any signs of cushings?

If you've got ticks and since you're S/E, I'd suspect Ehrlicchia. It's making a big comeback down here to horse and human alike.

Watch her temperature (they'll usually spike a big one). Other symptoms are as you described:

--general malaise
    --stocking up
    --SOMETIMES diarrhea.

Have vet run a titer. 14 days of Doxytetracycline usually knocks it.

JINGLES for da wee pony!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Thanks everyone

No temp last night and none now. But that doesn't mean I missed a spike, because she's a pony and doesn't exactly show any symptom that would mean NOT EATING Waiting on the vet to call. My guess is she will have me start her on Doxy and pull some bloods and run them to her if she's not in the area, so we can do a titer.

The human Baby Girl is in bed w/the flu.. got vaccinated for seasonal on Wed, looks like she's unlucky or has H1N1..

got a feeling this is going to be a trying weekend w/all my Baby Girls sick!!

I'll report back as soon as I have a clue...
    ---

I say go with your gut. If you think something is NQR then something is wrong.

I had this feeling about my own child's pony. Different symptoms, same feeling of dread, which has been growing for several years. In addition to being ancient, my daughter's pony has cancer that rapidly got worse this summer. Until this summer, when I'd ask about it, the vets would shake their heads and say there didn't appear to be a problem, pony is healthy. The pony is okay for now (when I let her onto the lawn to graze she takes off to visit the Shetland stallion next door), but I don't want her to face the cold winter. For my daughter's sake I am waiting for a time between holidays to put her down. This is going to be difficult, especially since I'm also very attached to the pony.

Just know that others have been there with kids and their beloved ponies. I'm tearing up just thinking about how my daughter will feel about it (I haven't told her yet). It is inevitable. I hope your case turns out differently than ours.
    "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Well my friend, you have good instincts and she is in the best hands with you. So I'd say go in whatever path your gut is leading you.

I too would wonder if it were somehow related to the episode late this summer.

These mystery illnesses are always the hardest. And so incredibly frustrating.
    I've long felt Win has something neuro going on beneath it all though we've not found anything conclusive.

Take care of that little girl, and the pony. I know you will. And remember now, take care of yourself as well!!!!

Will be thinking of you all this weekend.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

EqT, I'm really sorry to hear about both baby girls being under the weather

Jingling for quick recoveries and answered questions. Keep us posted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

I have absolutely no ideas on the pony's health, but wanted to send jingles for recovery for both your little girl and her pony.

On your daughter, H1N1 is practically the only flu circulating currently. watch her for a second wave of illness after she seems to get a bit better. That will mean secondary pneumonia (my hubby is a pediatric nurse practicioner - I've heard this plenty with regards to our own kiddo) If she seems to get better then gets worse and has fever on the second illness wave take it very seriously and get thee to a Dr. especially if she develops lack of appetite or vomiting.

Take care of yourself, too. Pony and kiddo need you!

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Awww crap! I'm sorry to hear that about both girls. Hope the two-legged one just has a 24-hour bug, and as for the four-legged one, no ideas other than what's already been mentioned. Both are in great hands though.

Jingling for you all.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Thanks everyone. Oh Eggy, nope, no signs of cushings although I manage her as if she were IR, being a pony and whatnot

The vet who is on call today is not one that I want to see my pony on a Friday so instead I had a long phone consult with my own vet, who will be on call all weekend and will be here Monday to see her regardless.

She agrees that it is most likely either an arthritic flare up or something tick borne. I am to take her temp religiously and call her if she spikes a temp, to give her 1/2 gram bute if she seems arthritically stiff and needs it OR 3 cc banamine if I think it is more muscular... and she will be here Monday if I don't need her before then.

So it will be a long weekend of watching closely and being nervous, but knowing my own vet is on call this weekend makes me feel so much better!

As of right now, neither Baby Girl has a temp, so far, so good... everyone is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping so that is positive

Here is a pic of LMEqT on her pony yesterday. She told me after her ride that her legs hurt really bad and that was why she was not "such a good rider today". Poor baby girl.. we had no idea she had the flu at that time!Minverva Louise, thanks for the tip - I am sure she has H1N1 so if she suddenly gets worse after getting better we'll be heading right to the doctor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rosebudsmaller.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	27007  
    ---

That girl was made to be on a horse. How cute are they?!?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

So far, the human baby girl is 99% recovered. The pony is holding her own, no changes in any symptom or behavior. She did trot away from me this AM but her breakfast was *late*, oh heavens, I am such a bad servant on the weekends
    ---

Being a mother also, I give you the free pass for being late for the pony's breakfast-you had other things on your mind, obviously. I hope that Little Miss EQ and the pony both recover quickly and uneventfully.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Has the pony ever foundered in past? The "did not want to go forward" made me think of either subclinical chronic laminitis or soreness flare caused by colder weather. (previously laminitics often have compromised circulation in hooves) You could test that theory (cold induced pain) by putting standing wraps on pony for a day or so, see if that improves stiffness. I hope the Vet exam does find a diagnosis and cure!
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.