The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tough, barn-safe phone recommendations

I am joining the Crackberry community in about a month and I'm trying to choose between the Curve or the Pearl. I am really rough w/ my phones with riding and everything - I need something that will hold up, I'll be able to easily organize farrier/vet appointments and answer emails as I embark in more of a business situation at my barn. Which do you find holds up better with your everyday barn life? Which do you find helps you organize appointments, etc?

Thanks in advance!

I've used a Curve for almost two years. I have it in an Otter Box (a hard shell case that is quite nice; Google it for more info). I've "drop tested" the Otter Box/Curve combo on concrete; it passed. It's been rained on, sweated on, and otherwise dampened without ill effect (but I've never dropped it into a toilet, puddle or water bucket ). It does what I need it to do and takes a beating in style.

In January I'm eligible for an upgrade. I'm looking at the Tour. Our farrier had one and I figure it it can survive a farrier's loving touch it should be OK.

They have an Otter Box for it too, I'm told.

G.

I've had my Curve since April and I love it. It's survived being chomped on by my horse and puppy, rain, sweat, being fallen on, stepped on, and the rubber skin has protected it against numerous falls to the barn floor. I also have a leather holster that stays very secure on a belt loop through jumping and hard riding.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

I got the newest Blackberry last week and hated it. I am not a techie and could not figure out anything. The keys are way small. The screen tiny. I am old and could not read them. Dialing a phone number was awful. It went back. I changed it to a My touch 3G and I have to say I love it!! I can do amazing things with it and havn't had the urge to throw it across the barn. I can shoot a video standing in the field and upload it to you tube still standing inthe same spot. I did it yesterday. The screen is huge, it is easy on the eyes. Did I say I love it.

Thanks for all the replies! I definitely want the Curve but the Pearl is definitely cheaper - but I guess you always get what you pay for!

In the Air - is the My Touch made by Blackberry? It sounds really cool!

I've been told that the Pearl is "Blackberry Light," and was made for the less than hard core Crackberry head. A friend had one that kept dying on her, and she ended up with a Curve that she loves. The Tour is getting good press EXCEPT for key size and apparently the microphone is placed such that the person you are calling has trouble hearing you.

I am going to look at the Storm 2 when it finally makes its appearance. And, am still lusting after the iPhone.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by huntergirl007 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! I definitely want the Curve but the Pearl is definitely cheaper - but I guess you always get what you pay for!

In the Air - is the My Touch made by Blackberry? It sounds really cool!
    No, the myTouch is made by HTC and runs the Android OS. If you're looking for a Blackberry, the myTouch is not one.

But the myTouch, the G1 and the Cliq (all Android devices on T-Mobile) get good reviews and my users (I manage about 150 wireless lines) really like the Android OS.

Unless you've got a Blackberry server at work that will push your email, calendar, contacts and tasks, I'd encourage you to look at Android and Windows Mobile devices as well. Blackberry just isn't the be all end all in data devices anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I've been told that the Pearl is "Blackberry Light," and was made for the less than hard core Crackberry head.
    This is another reason why I was considering it. I am not too tech savvy and this seemed simple - EXCEPT for the keyboard. I think I might end up going with the Curve. My dad is the furthest thing from a tech person and he has a Bold and he loves it.

Simkie - are these available in Canada? They seem really neat!
    Last edited by huntergirl007; Oct. 20, 2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: maybe with a Blackberry I can learn how to spell?

OH dear God, there is a reason the Pearl is cheaper... The Curve is much better, it's what blackberry does best. I just had to trade in my Pearl for the Tour because the Pearl is just... useless...

Especially as a barn phone... dust and hay and falling out of pockets off a horse into arena dirt... it's not good for it. Reasons my old trainer had to get the g'Zone phone from Verizon... lol short of running it over with the truck, you couldn't kill it at the barn.

I honestly have no idea. Which carrier are you with? Or which carriers do you have in your area? In the US, TMO is the only carrier with Android devices. Verizon has a couple coming out soon.

The BB Pearl definitely takes some getting used to with the two letters on each key thing. It's predictive text can be very frustrating. I find Blackberry set up not very intuitive, especially if you are used to working on a Windows computer--I find Windows Mobile makes more sense to me.

I can tell you that with approx 60 data phone users, I have ONE with a blackberry. Everyone else has Win Mo or Android and I have a select few iPhone users.

IME, HTC and Samsung devices hold up very well. If you are going with a touchscreen device, make sure it is a capacitive screen, not a resistive screen.

I expect this skirts the "horse related" line. If you'd like to talk cell phones, shoot me a PM.

Thumbs up

The My Touch is not a blackberry. It is very similar to an I phone. I run a barn and teach. I don't need a blackberry. I find the 3G to be much faster than the blackberry was and I can get e-mail and look up something on the web much faster than on the blackberry. I keep my lessons in the calander and love the screen that moves when you touch it. I can retrieve messages easier and dial numbers without having to get out the reading glasses or memorize the keys. T mobile lets you try the phones out, if you don't like it return it...
    The Mytouch is fun, the blackberry not so much for me.

The Pearl is a POS. I have had the same Curve for 14 months and it is going strong (after going through many Pearls). Get the Curve.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I have an HTC and its the mail reason I dont want to switch companies...do NOT want a crackberry or an Iphone...too many friends have broken them, and I cant hear any of my friends on that dangnabbed Iphone.
    My HTC (its a T-Mobile Dash) is 2 years old, and almost dead, but has survived SERIOUS abuse from horses and me alike! I really want a MyTouch....but have to wait fro Christmas
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I have an HTC and its the main reason I dont want to switch companies...do NOT want a crackberry or an Iphone...too many friends have broken them, and I cant hear any of my friends on that dangnabbed Iphone.
    My HTC (its a T-Mobile Dash) is 2 years old, and almost dead, but has survived SERIOUS abuse from horses and me alike! I really want a MyTouch....but have to wait fro Christmas
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I have an HTC and its the main reason I dont want to switch companies...do NOT want a crackberry or an Iphone...too many friends have broken them, and I cant hear any of my friends on that dangnabbed Iphone.
    The new Dash--the Dash 3G--is a NICE device. So is the myTouch...but we're really right on the brink of a whole new generation of Android devices, I think. I expect Android (and WinMo) devices with 1 Ghz processors Q1 of next year. *I* am waiting to see what hits...like this: http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/06/h...npage_engadget (I think that's the sexiest phone I have EVER seen. It's rumored to be going to TMO.)

If you can wait and hang onto your Dash for just a bit longer, you should be able to pick up something with double the processing power of the myTouch in just a few months.

Wow Simkie...its definitely on its last legs...overheats and has seizures, how long are we talking about? I am terrified to get a touch screen too....butt dialing anyone?

But seriously, for hard barn use I would definitely have another htc!
    carolprudm

The My Touch does not butt dial, the screen locks when ever you are not actively doing something. The only thing I do not like is the holder I have for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    Wow Simkie...its definitely on its last legs...overheats and has seizures, how long are we talking about? I am terrified to get a touch screen too....butt dialing anyone?

But seriously, for hard barn use I would definitely have another htc!
    That phone I linked above--the HTC HD2--should be coming out sometime in the first quarter of next year.

There's also a Samsung Android device called the Behold 2 coming out with TMO sometime in November. They are being very stubborn about releasing any details on it, though, so no idea yet what it has under the hood.

If you'd like to switch carriers, Verizon is releasing the Motorola Droid at the end of this month--once it's released, it will be the premier Android phone on the market with a 600ish mhz processor and Android 2.0 (Eclair.)

The HTC TouchPro 2 (VZ, TMO and ATT all carry it) has had some very good reviews, but with a resistive touchscreen, some people find it too unresponsive. I do not recommend resistive touchscreens to any of my users. (The HTC Pure with ATT is also resistive, which is disappointing, as it's one of the few Win Mo 6.5 phones on the market right now.)

Whether or not you want a real, tactile keyboard makes a difference, obviously. Some users just do not like having a touch screen only keyboard. The G1 and the Motorola Cliq (in pre-orders right now, being fully released on Nov 2) have a keyboard, while the myTouch does not.

Oh, also forgot about Sprint--they have the HTC Hero (no keyboard) and, with the SenseUI, it is the premier Android device currently on the market. It's VERY SLICK (watch the "Introducing HTC Sense" video) but has the same processor as all the other Android devices right now.

hhmm, maybe switching to Sprint would be the deal for me right now, or at least threatining to, might get TMO to pony up a better deal on a new phone. I have been with them for 12 years, and they tell me I am not eligible for an upgrade???
    carolprudm

Oh, and for anyone who IS dying for a myTouch: wait until the limited edition Fender model comes out this winter. It has a headphone jack, more onboard RAM than the standard myTouch and comes with a 16 GB micro SD card. It has a funky wood grain finish.

http://www.tmonews.com/2009/10/fende...-and-pictured/