The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Featherlite Trailer/2007 F-150 - Interior Lights/Accessory Plug Question

I just bought a new (to me) used Featherlite trailer from someone at my barn. It's a 2002 model 9407 that is practically brand new. It was only used for a couple thousand miles by the original owner, then bought by another woman who NEVER used it (she didn't have a truck to tow it with ???). So it sat for over a year. ANYWAY, I have no problems with the trailer lights except the interior ones...initially I thought they were burned out so I replaced both bulbs. Nothing. I was going to take it to a trailer place to have it checked but a friend of mine plugged the trailer into her truck and the lights work just fine. She said there must be something wrong with the accessory wire setup in my truck. The truck is also like-new...it's a 2007 F-150 with under 15k miles on it. I've never had any problems with the factory hitch setup (or the lights/plug/etc) with my other trailer, or this one (interior lights being the exception). So now I'm wondering - do I take the truck in to the dealership to have THEM look at it or do I take it to a trailer place? Obviously the dealership is preferable as the truck is still under warranty and if there is a problem with the truck's hitch setup they can fix it. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions on something I can do at home to fix this? It's no fun trying to load a horse in the dark Thanks in advance.

I have a 2007 Silverado 2500HD and bought a new to me Featherlite...when the trailer dealer went through all of the checks on my truck, the interior lights didnt work, but when they plugged the trailer into another truck,they did.

when my truck was in for service I inquired about it and they check out the adaptor where the trailer pigtail hooks up to...they found a wire that had never been hooked up (so they said) and attached it.

Havent had a problem since. Its worth a check.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

All wiring is truck and trailer specific, so it sounds like you need a wire either attached or switched on your trucks wiring. Either the dealership or a trailer place (or even a marine supply) could fix it for probably really cheap or free. In my Ford (which I bought new in '03) worked straight out of the factory with the barns Sooner, but when I got my Featherlite I had no emergency flashers or inside lights (everything else was fine). The trailer dealership took 2 seconds and said I had 2 wires switched for the Featherlite setup, and didn't charge me to swap them. If they still have the owners manual there is even a diagram in it that shows how the wiring harness on your truck needs to look like. You could probably fix it yourself if you can match wire colors to the diagram.

Thanks guys! I think I'll make an appointment at the dealership first (it's right down the road from our house so not too inconvenient). If they can't figure it out I'll suck it up and go to the trailer place. I just hate going there because I always feel like they are pulling a fast one on me...the two times I've been in for trailer work have always ended with "surprise" repairs. Sometimes I think it's because I'm a girl...and blond, and they think I won't know any better. And they do always charge way more than they should...they quoted me $100 to fix some hanging wires on my previous trailer. My sister helped me fix them the same exact way they would have done it for $5 in parts and ten minutes of time.

Default hard wire

I have a 2006 Expedition. I called uhaul and they checked out the connectors and ended up telling me I didn't have the correct fuse. They could correct that there for $45. I had a family member that was familar with trucks run the wire, give me extra fuses and it was only the cost of being a friend.

If your not crazy about the dealership, stop in a local mechanic - ask a coworker if they no someone. They appreciate any extra cash or lunch.

This is potentially wacky, but my friend had a similar problem with her 2006 Featherlite. A tube of dialectric grease squirted on her trailer plug fixed it. The grease improved the connection between plug and connector.

In the RV industry there are some standards for wiring and each maker who subscribes to the RV industry code must comply with them. Sadly, no such standards or code exists in the horse trailer industry.

Each manufacturer has their own wiring practice. The best thing to do is have a Featherlight dealer or your truck dealer fix the problem.

G.

jn4jenny - I was actually planning to do this anyway because the trailer plug is a little wanky and I sometimes have to fiddle with it to get it connected. The BO's hubby (who is a pro at all things mechanical) suggested I put some dialectric grease in there. So my plan of attack is: 1) Grease, and if that doesn't work 2) Check the fuse that several people have mentioned to me, and if that doesn't work 3) Take it to the trailer/truck place (I like my Ford dealership so I'll probably take it there first) and see if they can check/correct the wires. Thanks to all who responded. I knew I could get some answers on this forum