The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile What do a Weds trace clip & trip to the liquor store have in common??

Opening hunt this Saturday! Dear daughter wants to make it a double header and go to an adjacent hunts Opening on Sunday. Stupid 19 year old college students, always testing the limits.

Anyone else have Opening hunt this weekend??

Default not yet

not until nov 7
    more hay, less grain

Yup.

And of course my horse broke out in hives a couple of days ago. Now he's got these little scabby bumps all over his neck. Looks motheaten. Oh gee that's just going to look swell at the Blessing. Especially since he moved while I was clipping next to his mane and he got a big chunk taken out.

And it's going to rain.

Already stocked up on likker.

Our blessing is 11/1. I've been legging up my horse, oiling tack, polishing boots and building up my tolerance to bourbon. The preparations never stop!

JSwan- I think the rain system that just sloooowly passed over us might be your Saturday weather.

I hardly got out to cub hunt this fall so everything is going to h.u.rt. Saturday unless I follow Sledge's advice and do some Bourbon prep work.

Nic Nicodemus Guest

Opening Meet this Sunday. Clipping on Saturday, so the mare should be nice and freshy fresh on Sunday morning...whoohoo! Thanks for reminding me to stop by the liquor store! What do you put in your flask for opening meet?

Default Ohhh - what to fill the flask with??

As a new member, with a new flask, and opening day 3 days away - there's a question I would love an answer to. What does everyone fill their flasks with?

My favorite is good old Blackberry Brandy. It is sweet enough but stout enough to enjoy. I also like Port which lots of folks keep in their flask.

A yummy mixture I had when a Virginia girfriend came out here to hunt was Butterscotch Snapps and Scotch. Mix it in the ratio that taste best for you. I wish I could remember what the girls had late in the season last year- they were calling it a Cowgirl something. It was yummy too! Most important thing is to return to the trailer with the flask empty, share!

My weakness is Champagne. Sometimes on High Holy Days the whoopee wagon is waiting with Mimosa's. Yummm. I'll drink one mixed then go for a plain Champagne or two.....

And it's funny, I never drink and ride outside of nipping during hunting. Well there was one trail ride a year ago.....a girls ride weekend and I arrived late. Drank some Corona's then a Seven and Seven, as in a 32 oz cup plus, then mounted up. Before we walked out of the parking area one friend took my reins and buckled them through my wire cutter case loops as I had already dropped them and got them caught between my lil mares legs. This was perfect because now I could be an airplane on my mare with my arms stretched out to both sides as I sported a tierra covered with pinky fluffy stuff and a rubber chicken septor. And all of this with a monkey on my back...a little dollar store monkey. There are pictures but they'll neeeeever see the light of an online message board.

I acknowledge that were it not for fox hunting, I could have been injured on that particular ride. As it was, coming out of hunting season my seat was rock tight- my daughter even commented on how perfect my leg was in the above mentioned photos in spite of my *extreme happiness*. Hunting forces you to ride with one hand (or no hands) when the reins slip or your giving your horse maximun length on a hill or creek so being nose to tail on a trail with no reins was easy peasey. Hunting teaches your horse to "chill" when the huntsman horn is blown or pistol is fired so an *extremely happy* person singing on their back while making circles with their outstretched arms is no.big.deal.at.all.

Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Opening Hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    My favorite is good old Blackberry Brandy. It is sweet enough but stout enough to enjoy. I also like Port which lots of folks keep in their flask.

A yummy mixture I had when a Virginia girfriend came out here to hunt was Butterscotch Snapps and Scotch. Mix it in the ratio that taste best for you. I wish I could remember what the girls had late in the season last year- they were calling it a Cowgirl something. It was yummy too! Most important thing is to return to the trailer with the flask empty, share!

My weakness is Champagne. Sometimes on High Holy Days the whoopee wagon is waiting with Mimosa's. Yummm. I'll drink one mixed then go for a plain Champagne or two.....

And it's funny, I never drink and ride outside of nipping during hunting. Well there was one trail ride a year ago.....a girls ride weekend and I arrived late. Drank some Corona's then a Seven and Seven, as in a 32 oz cup plus, then mounted up. Before we walked out of the parking area one friend took my reins and buckled them through my wire cutter case loops as I had already dropped them and got them caught between my lil mares legs. This was perfect because now I could be an airplane on my mare with my arms stretched out to both sides as I sported a tierra covered with pinky fluffy stuff and a rubber chicken septor. And all of this with a monkey on my back...a little dollar store monkey. There are pictures but they'll neeeeever see the light of an online message board.

I acknowledge that were it not for fox hunting, I could have been injured on that particular ride. As it was, coming out of hunting season my seat was rock tight- my daughter even commented on how perfect my leg was in the above mentioned photos in spite of my *extreme happiness*. Hunting forces you to ride with one hand (or no hands) when the reins slip or your giving your horse maximun length on a hill or creek so being nose to tail on a trail with no reins was easy peasey. Hunting teaches your horse to "chill" when the huntsman horn is blown or pistol is fired so an *extremely happy* person singing on their back while making circles with their outstretched arms is no.big.deal.at.all.

Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Opening Hunt!
    I think this is one of the. best. visuals. ever. that i've read on this board.

And you can't admit that there are photos and not post them. Such a tease!

Wink Uh oh!

Ya'll are forgetting the golden rule of clipping! NEVER clip the day before. Minimum of 5 days or so. Reason?!! Even a bad clip looks good after a few days.!!! OR....there's nothing that fixes a bad clip like a few days!! I mean, my god you people!!! clipping AND braiding in the same day!!!! OH my aching fingers/back/arms etc.!!!
    You-uns are lacking common sense!! And since SOME of us do both quite badly....well....never mind!!!

hopashore1 - i concur.. sharing a great story and no pics... what a tease! SLW, thanks for the great story and good suggestions... Thinking about hitting a bar tonight and asking for a slew of shots... Would it be rude to return the sample back to the glass as i try the spectrum of delectable flavored libations?

Default Our Blessing was October 3rd....

.....Earlier in the north perhaps because it freezes not long after!

Oh, yes.....and it rained.......and we lost the hounds to deer......the master and huntsman were gone nearly 2 hours tracking all of them down!

Even still, every hunt is an adventure I'd not do without! (rain, lost hounds and all)

We have a big hunt coming up next Saturday. The All New England Hunts Joint Meet hosted by Myopia. I went last year...it was my mare's sixth hunt.

There were 85 or so horse's and riders and we were out for 4 hours. What a great day. I cannot wait for next Saturday!!!

There are usually several photographers scouting around...when they post their photos, I'll pass along the links.

A nice flask concoction is a Buckwheat. Black Velvet and Amaretto.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I can't wait to try this on a good cold morning! It's fantastic as a spike in tea, too!
    http://www.coalregion.com/Recipes/boilo.htm

A friend came over and borrowed my clippers yesterday - his died 3/4 of the way through a clip job.

Dug out the string gloves since rain is predicted (oh joy).

I was rather shocked to find that I'd forgotten to get my frock dry cleaned after last season. Dry cleaned everything but the frock.

Oops.

I examined my likker collection and I believe tomorrow will be a good day for cherry brandy.

SLW - I want to ride with you!!!

Nic Nicodemus Guest

I know clipping the day before is probably a terrible idea. But between work, boyfriend, riding, and work I just ran out of time! I do have confidence in my clipping skills though, as well as an OCD friend to help me out.

Does anyone put Rock n' Rye in their flasks? Whoo, that stuff will get you feeling good on a rough day! I had some on New Year's Day hunt after a long night of partying and it got me feeling like a million bucks! I highly recommend it but not for the faint of heart.

Thumbs up nope, not rude!!

I wanna go out with PleasantMeadowFarm!!! She's buying!!!
    And no, it's not rude if you just pass the tasting glass down to Wateryglen! Then we could commisserate on it's relative value; you know: things like taste, smell, aftertaste, bouquet, throat & chest warming values, etc. It's just the polite thing to do.!!!
    Hunting friends gotta share!

Ya'll have fun & report back!

Default wish you were there last night!

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    I wanna go out with PleasantMeadowFarm!!! She's buying!!!
    And no, it's not rude if you just pass the tasting glass down to Wateryglen! Then we could commisserate on it's relative value; you know: things like taste, smell, aftertaste, bouquet, throat & chest warming values, etc. It's just the polite thing to do.!!!
    Hunting friends gotta share!

Ya'll have fun & report back!
    Headed out last night with friends I haven't seen in YEARS (20 yr. reunion tonight) and boy, oh boy, did we sample some yummy libations... None that I would put in my flask, but sweet and palatable none the less... I'd rather not give you the count. Wateryglen - I must admit, I didn't do much sharing - but did pick up the tab!

With a forecast of 50 degrees at cast off, I'm thinking something on the lighter side would be more appropriate for Opening day... mimosa, bellini? Bubbles under pressure???

Nic, For next time, remember the old adage - The difference between a good clip and a bad clip is three days
    Allow three or four days growth and MOST of the rough stuff evens out

Perfect day for Opening Hunt! The weather Gods must love us- sunny, brisk and no wind to start with warmer temps at the end. 6 couple were brought from the kennel and it was fasten your seatbelt from that point on. Bottom line at the end of three hours, one coyote was run to ground and a second took cover in a tin whistle.