The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is there a way to tape or bind stall mats together?

We have stall mats over concrete. Our stalls are pipe panel so there are no solid walls to butt the mats against, except at the back. Even at either end, there is extra space! The legs of the pipe panels help anchor the mats a bit but there is still slippage. And there is nothing more annoying than scraping wet shavings out of a crack between mats with one tine of the manure fork, only to find that I'm STILL unable to pull the mats back together.

I was seriously thinking of duct taping them underneath! My friends assure me that would not work, which I guess I knew. I can't imagine there is any sort of staple that wouldn't end up in the horses' feet. And I can barely move the mats never mind puncture them with a needle to sew them together. Has ANYONE found something that works?
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Can you fill the empty area at the end with more mats? Maybe somehow make a stop with a 2x4 or something to give the mats more of a frame to fit in? If it's concrete you should be able to bolt the wood to the ground to make a frame. In theory it's a good thing to be able to lift up the mats but they NEVER go back down the same. When we moved into this place I literally duct taped the mats together on the top. I knew it wouldn't hold for too long, but I figured by then I'd need to make myself clean underneath them anyway. Well I'm a bad horse mom because I kid you not that darn duct tape held for YEARS... I'm talking at least 4 years. I bed deeply and my horse is very neat so I'm sure that wouldn't work for everyone.

There is some kind of goo that we sealed out mats together the first time we had mats. We cut the mats on an angle where they met, so that there was a v where they come together and poured the goo in the v. It was a pain in the butt and pretty expensive though. Someone renting our house actually cut those mats out of the barn

The wood that dmalbone suggested sounds like it would work.

Well one of the last places i worked at which got a total overhaul. They glued their rubber mats to the floor. Not totally sure what kind glue but i would imagine any construction store could help you.

We also used a black silicone to cover the cracks on top of the stall mats and against the walls. We probably did have an advantage in the fact that we had a roll of stall mats so there were very few cracks/cuts in it to begin with.

With this method you can still do a super good pressure wash of the stalls a couple times a year with out worrying about water sitting under the mats or anything like that.

P.

I saw a clever way to keep mats in place at KOC's farm in Ocala. They have mats down the center aisle of their barn that are held in place via concrete anchors in each corner of the mat. They don't go anywhere.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Even if you could, I don't think it's a good idea. Because once you glue/staple/fasten those big heavy things together, it will be all but impossible to ever move them, if you HAVE to.

Better to either fill in your concrete "frame" area with the mats, as dmalbone suggested, or build a wooden frame to properly contain them.

JME.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

http://www.concretescrews.com/ These are what the barn I mentioned above used. You can unscrew them if you ever needed too.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

We used roofing tar (not sure if it is ACTUALLY tar) and heated it up with a roofing torch. sealed the mats making one big mat! no shifting/gaps! But now the mats are stuck there...

Question

Could you put up a plank of wood (2x8 maybe) attached to the legs of the panels so that it creates a wall and keeps the mats in place?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.