The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff: Getting a catch rider/free leaser for a talented greenie

I have an awesome late 3 y.o. that I'm hoping won't creep above 14.2.
    I'm 5'8", out of shape, and in vet school.
    I've gotten the pony broke. W/T/getting there on the canter. He hacks everywhere, crosses bridges and poles, LOVES water, self loads (actually trots TO the trailer).
    Pony has a great mind, very bold and willing, and is very talented. He's green but very balanced and forward.

I don't know anyone of AA standards in Colorado, and pony lives at home now. I'd love to send him back to my trainer in NJ, but that's financially impossible with boarding in central NJ and shipping costs.

Think there is any chance we could find him a catch rider/free leaser? He'd be awesome for someone who wants a top caliber pony but can't afford one- and is a skilled rider working with a trainer to bring along a young horse.

My trainer recommended putting him in training for a month or two with one of the best trainer I could find near Denver, and if he really is as good as I think he is, hopefully they'd be able to keep him on for working students and such.

I can help pay some of his bills (but a free lease would be perfect). I'd consider a long term lease, and he isn't for sale. So, basically, kid can bring along greenie and keep him as long as they want (i.e. reap the benefits and be able to show him at the bigger shows).

Any ideas on how to get it started? Or, do I have to pay a trainer for a few months to get him in a local pro's barn first?

Sounds like a situation where if you knew trainers in the area you could find a kid to catch ride the pony, but finding a free lease for something that green is pretty tough.

You did not describe the quality of the pony's flat movement. For AA, they have to have 'the look' on the flat. Otherwise, there are some nice barns in No Colo that do the CHJA shows. I can PM you contacts to try or someone who will know who to call. I imagine you would need to send photos and a video link or DVD.

I also think I would be leery of putting even free lease training time in said pony if there was any chance of it growing over 14.2.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com