The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Winter riding clothes for kids

AFter last weeks wonderful cold weather preview I am have been searching for reasonably priced winter riding clothes for kids.
    I have a 12 yr old who wears a size 14 in breeches, and has a Carhart coat.
    I have a 5 almost 6 yr old who has a Carhart coat and wears a size 4 in jods.
    I think I would like to get them warmer paddock boots, and long underwear, plus warm jods and breeches.
    Any suggestions as to what wears the best and where to find the best prices??
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Unfortunately, the best deals to be had were this summer, when no one wanted to think about winter riding!!

My DD is 7 and we lucked out and found Ariat tall winter boots on a closeout table this summer for $40. They will keep her much warmer than paddocks, even the insulated paddocks. We keep an eye out in the consignment section for winter jods, too. Short of that, we layer - tights, then leggings, then jods. Have had good luck with buying heavy hiking or camping socks at a sporting goods store. Fingers and toes seem to be the first parts to mind the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

LOL!

The TuffRider winter breeches come in kids' sizes... I have a couple of pairs (I'm small and wear kids' clothes). They're very warm; not the fanciest quality, but warm, and cheap.

I just bought a kids' Mountain Horse coat--it is SUPER warm; I can tell just from trying it on. I'm finally ready to brave winter in that thing. (:

THAT is what my 2 yr old will look like LOL but the ones who ride might have a slight issue even climbing on in that get up!! Very very funny though !!!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

the best time to buy winter junk is when it's about to go out of season, tough call tho with kids, they might grow like a weed and need new duds or if you bought them bigger they don't put on a millimeter.

I am not sure if I finally got it confiscated by my Mom, but I have a very cosi down jacket that was dirt cheap because it was last years color. white with neon yellow leopard spots....i's ski gear but I don't care when I am cold, not even the generous amounts of shout I need to keep it presentable. It's just not meant for non snow environments
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.