The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Amerigo/Vega Saddles?

Opinions, thoughts, advice? I have been on this gosh-darn saddle hunt for 5 months now, and REALLY want to be able to do more than mosey along on trail rides, however nice they are, lol. I have come across Amerigo/Vega saddles, and really like how wide the gullets are (which is what Tiger Lily likes, and needs).

From what I understand, the DJ type saddles are more for lower to moderate withered horses, and the CC for the more shark-finned? Do they run small in the seat? How wide is the wide? Looks pretty wide to me, but it's so freaking hard to tell from pictures...

So, yay, or neigh?
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I can't tell you much about the sizing as I'm saddle fitting challenged (I pay a pro to do it). However, I have a Vega and I LOVE it. By far my favorite saddle ever.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

do a search on this forum and you'll see a lot of reviews. you are correct, the dj is for lower withered, more "warmbloody" types. i just bought a CC jump for my TB and it fits him perfectly, and you can tell the saddle really is made for that type of wither. i'd imagine djs are just as appropriate for lower withered horses.

as to seat, mine is spot on, however i went with a normal flap b/c i got a great deal on it, but realistically i need a forward flap. if you are at all above average from hip to knee i would strongly suggest the forward or at least long flap option.

if you have other questions, feel free to call world equestrian brands. they are the US distributor and will get you in touch with a local rep. i bought mine from equestrian imports in florida and they were lovely to work with. they currently have a few smaller djs on sale, and they can widen/narrow the tree by 1 size if needed.

by the way, even with a smaller than needed flap, this is probably the most secure saddle i've ever sat in over jumps. doing 4' felt like jumping cross rails because it allowed me to stay in a very balanced position the entire jump.

My vega was amazing on two similarly built giraffe wither big shoulder types. A DREAM.

Decent on a normalish round wb, round pony, avg tb.

It really does fit a lot of horses well. I'd kill to get mine back ( and I have an Antares that I don't like anywhere NEAR as much as my Vega).
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I have a custom Amerigo CC (Pinerolo) and LOVE it. My guy has a huge shoulder and shark fin withers. It is a narrow tree. After a Devoucoux, and 2 Counties that were awful, it is a dream. I think the seat runs true to size.
    Last edited by Bearhunter; Oct. 21, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

I have a Vega, and a shark-finned TB. I also went through several saddle trials before keeping my Vega - my gelding is so shark-finned that mine is a narrow tree. I have had the saddle for 2 years now and love it. In my experience the seat is true to size.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

They all come in different tree widths - I don't think there is a correlation between the DJ and wither type, or any of the others. The names relate to the saddle style.

The DJ (Deep Jump) is more like a Butet in its rider positioning, thigh blocks, etc. I have it and love it. The Vega is a more affordable saddle - I have known people who have it and love it. I don't know what the CC is, but my guess is either cross country or close contact.

Bill Wood, the saddlefitter (located in VA, but does travel to other nearby states) also deals in Amerigo saddles. He might be able to tell you more about the saddle differences, and for sure he could confirm whether there is a significant difference in horse fitting issues between the models. His email address is Wgateswood@aol.com.

Good luck in your search!
    Last edited by larosa90; Oct. 22, 2009 at 12:10 AM.

CC is close contact.

The Amerigo rep tried both the DJ and the CC on my horse (and for me to try) though she knew from his conformation that the CC would undoubtedly be the better option for him. The DJ fit him okay, but nowhere near as well as the CC. Just not as much wither clearance. I don't recall whether I had a preference over the seat. I really think mine is very comfortable. I did ride in one that had a Swedish flap which I believe is a bit more forward and would consider at some point changing the flaps.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

I just purchased an Amerigo CC (Pinerolo) for my QH in a wide tree. He has a moderate wither, wider shoulders and a fairly flat back. I tried a Black County Quantum X in wide but wasn't really crazy about the seat width for me and it felt like it hovered on his back. Then I tried a Vega Jump and really liked the way it felt, however the panels were slightly too "roofy" shaped for my boy's flat back. The saddle fitter then got me in a wide Amerigo CC and it fit my guy really well. I also needed a more forward flap than the Vega as I have a pretty long femur. The Amerigo fits my leg well, though I have to admit I think the seat isn't quite as cushy as the Vega, nor as deep. Overall, I think its a really nice saddle and as soon as it gets more broken in it will fit both of us like a glove.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Love my Amerigo DJ. I was fortunate enough to have Peter Menet fit me in the saddle and he recommended that I try the DJ on my mare. He asked me all about her bloodlines and her build and said that the DJ was designed more for the warmblood-type horse and the CC for the more TB-type. Had the saddle shop bring out both and the DJ, medium tree fit beautifully. It was comfortable for both of us from day one. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit my mare's filly (she is 4 y.o. this year). It is too snug behind the shoulders. The Amerigo rep tells me it can be adjusted, so will plan to have it adjusted to her in the spring - fingers crossed. :-)

Can anyone tell me the tree size from the flap numbers on this Amerigo Vega? 17 N 3051114 M 2

Aira, it's a normal flap (N) and I believe a wide tree (2 at the end). Obviously a 17".
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique