The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Pool therapy anyone?

Have any of you done pool therapy for your problems? Have you had luck with it? I am hoping that pool therapy will help me gain muscle and strength without stressing my body too much. If there is too much stress, my nerves just shut down...literally! The PT and MD are hoping the water will enable me to move more freely and correctly. I don't really care how I move when I'm on the ground. I just hope I can build strength and stamina for riding. Have any of you improved your riding through pool therapy? Does the warm pool water help soothe your muscle and/or nerve pain?

I hope this works since conventional PT has failed time and time again!
    Beth

Don't know if this counts as "real" therapy, but if you ask most any horse trainer, they will tell you that if they are very sore, maybe a horse bucked them off, a warm bath sure helps get everything moving right again.

As for movement in the water, that is known to be much kinder for many joint problems, as they don't have to fight gravity.

I would sure say that joints working properly should eventually help with riding.

I do PT at Kennedy Kreiger in Baltimore. They have really cool therapy pools there that have the floor that is a treadmill. Its great exercise without concussion!

Thanks guys! It sounds like there is hope. I'm rather worried b/c I have to switch to a new PT. When I had my evaluation, he didn't listen to me. I feel as though I'm some sort of crazy lady, but I know my body and I know what it will and will not tolerate. I could tell the PT definitely thought I was whacko. I just want to be able to ride!
    Last edited by Invite; Oct. 23, 2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: brief disfunction of my brain
    Beth