The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Ok, let's get the vet's covered for X-mas as well

We're getting some good ideas on farriers on another thread here, how about the vet's?

I've got a 5 woman vet practice that I use. There are also a lot of techs and office help as well. While I generally request one particular vet because I have an old horse that she knows very well, I do use anyone for an emergency or lameness with the other horse and I genuinely like all the vets.

In the past I've taken cookies over (good old Rum Balls), but I'd really like to do more. I'm thinking of looking for a large box of chocolates for the entire staff. Even though I'm quite a chocoholic myself I don't generally buy it for myself. Any suggestions for chocolates make locally - i.e., Rochester area?

Also how about some other ideas that I can do for the entire practice?

PS. PLEASE don't suggest a pointsetta though as I really dislike them.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Maybe a plate or two of couple different kinds of treats for both humans and 4 legged ones.

Always thought a nice pic framed of the "patients" that the vets take care of specially if one has come back from a major issue. It could hang in the waiting room or something.

P.

My vet got a new digital xray machine from me.

Pony's 5k in medical bills paid the down payment (though I did send him off with 2 bottles of wine...)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    My vet got a new digital xray machine from me.

Pony's 5k in medical bills paid the down payment (though I did send him off with 2 bottles of wine...)
    New xray machines are nice, hope the pony's ok.

I'm pretty handy sketching, did a portrait of the vet's dog and she loved it so much she darn near cried. (It wasn't christmas or anything but I had been shadowing her and helping out at the vet clinic for a while since I want to be a vet).

Mine has an addiction to funky colored ultra thin sharpie pens...she uses them to mark indelibly on all kinds of meds etc.
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Hm, I like the wine idea. Maybe some wine, cheese and crackers for their own X-mas party. Thanks for the thought LittleBlackMorgan.

And OUCH for those vet bills! I hope the pony is doing OK.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I have given nice large trays of nuts! They are always a big hit. One of our local stores does beautiful trays - including things like chocolate covered raisins. I figure it is a welcome change from cookies - and perhaps a bit healthier. Altho one can never have enough cookies.....

One year I bought a very nice large (maybe 12 inches high) container filled with pistachio's for my farrier (Costco). His wife called me the next day to thank me! She esp. loved the container!

My vet is my best friend's mom!

I usually send cookie, home made of course! But this year, because I have the inside advantage, I will make her fav!

Comestibles are always good.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Yeah, we've renamed our farm the VRF Farm (that's the Veterinary Retirement Fund Farm). Vet thinks it's pretty funny. But I'm serious.

Although not for Christmas yet, I made Willie's surgeon a stained glass likeness of Willie for trying so hard to save him for me. Of course, I make everyone stained glass presents for everything.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

I'm going to get mine a rubber stamp that says "30% off" for all my future invoices.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I'm going to get mine a rubber stamp that says "30% off" for all my future invoices.

"It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Awww we love getting treats this time of year. Mine (and my staff's) personal favorite is Cougar Gold cheese. MMMMMM
    One of our clients gets us a huge tin and assorted crackers every year (she graduated from WSU)
    http://www.wsu.edu/creamery/
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    Awww we love getting treats this time of year. Mine (and my staff's) personal favorite is Cougar Gold cheese. MMMMMM
    One of our clients gets us a huge tin and assorted crackers every year (she graduated from WSU)
    http://www.wsu.edu/creamery/
    I'm a coug alumn and this is the BEST gift any former coug can get! My BF's family ships us a can at Christmas. My mom and dad stock up when the can. If you are really nice, get her the double aged cougar gold if they have it. Its even better than regular (if thats possible)

Best. Cheese. Ever.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

Harry & David's gift basket! My vet's office loved it!
    Cindy