The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for jumper trainer Warwick or Yonkers NY

I have reached yet another milestone in my life and it's time to move (again).

I have job offers in Warwick, NY and Yonkers, NY.

I'm looking for someone who is a capable jumper trainer. Currently, I ride in the Adults on my own horse, and my long-term goal is to move up. Board/training price is not an issue. I'd like to travel less than half an hour -- is this feasible from Yonkers?

I've seen Eammon and Drumnacross mentioned on previous threads. Does anyone have his contact info?

Are there any local tack shops?

Thanks for any info you might have. Since I don't know the area too well (my brother lives in Manhattan, so I wanted to be somewhat close), any thoughts on these areas would be appreciated.
    Ride on!

http://www.exclusivelyequineproperti...fessionals.htm

Here's a pretty good list of the local talent

Eamonn is the man! I am sure you could find his number online. I have it somewhere....I will search for it.

Depending on the part of Yonkers, you are probably 35 minutes from Peter Leone in Greenwich, CT or Arcadia in Yorktown Heights, NY. It's about 20 minutes to Stratford Stables in Purchase, NY- although I'm not sure how many jumper riders they have. There are a few others within ~30 minutes, but the ones I can think of do mostly the C circuit and some local As.

I worked at a farm next to Eamonn Hughes, loved him! When I lived in Bronxville, NY, I used to ride at Arcadia farm, but they are geared more towards the hunters/eq/juniors. Peter Leon's place is very nice, a bit pricey though. Mcclain's place isn't too far a drive either if you're interested in training there.

Also, there are quite a few places in NJ just over the bridge, if you're willing to commute. Nona Garson, Chris Kappler, and Mark Leon's place- I also looked there, it too was lovely, he is a very nice guy and the commute isn't that bad!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

I have a friend who rents the other isle from Eammon. Debbie Haimowitz, I trained with her and have some friends that have been with her a long time..She is really good with the horses and knows her stuff....She is here all year round Eammon goes to Fla in the winter so if you stay Debbie takes care of the horses anyway. She trained with GM for quite sometime and gives quality lessons and her care is awesome...They are in Chester/Goshen NY...
    Actually the closest Tack shop is Horse and Rider in Middletown, you also have Whinnies and Nickers and fr the local stuff Don Maney is right down the road...
    Warwick to Goshen is an easy ride..
    You also might consider that of you working in the Orange County area living here is pretty nice too, this way there is no bridge involved....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I look forward to exploring both of these geographic areas and the info is very helpful.
    Ride on!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    http://www.exclusivelyequineproperti...fessionals.htm

Here's a pretty good list of the local talent
    New website host with update of this list
    http://www.exclusivelyequineproperti...com/links.html

I ride with Gilles Barrandon at Granny Fox Farm. He is one of the most intelligent horseman I have ever worked with. He has young horses in training and primarily teaches and competes in the jumpers. His wife Esther Noyen Barrandon is also very talented and they both have the resume to prove it. The most impressive part is watching the horses they train go...happy correct horses!
    http://www.petitgalop.com

If you end up in Warwick try Linda Mancini. She is really good with the jumpers and is in Warwick. She also trains out of Old Field Farm in Goshen, NY. PM me for her number if interested. For tack stores there is Green Vally Tack in Pine Island, NY which is basically part of Warwick. Warwick is a great place to be IMO
    Impossible is nothing.

The thread is more than three years old.

Presumably the OP found a place by now.

You could also check out Ramapo Equestrian Center. The wife does dressage the husband jumpers. I have seen some excellent riders come from there. They are in Suffern
    Taking it day by day!

I was also going to mention Linda Mancini. We liked her very much and she worked well for my daughter.

If you will be in the Warwick area (as opposed to Yonkers), you could also check out Katie Moriarity at On Course Riding Academy in Lafayette, NJ. It's about a half hour to 45 min. drive from the Warwick area. Warwick has some very pretty areas.

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurGuinness View Post
    I ride with Gilles Barrandon at Granny Fox Farm. He is one of the most intelligent horseman I have ever worked with. He has young horses in training and primarily teaches and competes in the jumpers. His wife Esther Noyen Barrandon is also very talented and they both have the resume to prove it. The most impressive part is watching the horses they train go...happy correct horses!
    http://www.petitgalop.com
    Agreed! Gilles is talented and a true professional.

I would also highly Recommend Linda Mancini and Debbie Haimowitz both available to train out of Goshen, New York at Old Field Farm http://oldfieldfarm.net