The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Will Black Walnut ASHES be safe in pasture?

My BO can be completly clueless about horse care sometimes... I am sure she has no clue about Black Walnut...

Long story short, she had a scrappy Black Walnut tree in her yard, and when the tree surgeons came to trim limbs from her oak trees, she had them cut down the BW as well. So, now there are BW sawdusts all in her yard, which should be ok as horses never, ever go in there. BUT the trunk and limbs of the BW and all this huge mess of oak limbs are in three huge piles in the pasture and I assume she intends to burn them later. So, this means BW ashes in the pasture. Will this be ok? What if the BW does not burn completely?

If they're truly burnt completely, no big deal, since all the oils will be gone. It's the oil in the bark/wood pulp that causes the problems.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Thanks. I don't know what her plan is but obviously she didn't have this stuff hauled off. I had no idea she was going to take down the walnut tree or I would have mentioned the walnut thing. I will make it a point to mention the walnut thing.... in case there is ever a next time. Don't think there are any in the pasture but there is a wooded area and, well, honestly I have not closely examined every single tree in the woods.