The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Arabians on the Hunter Circuit

Wondering if there are any Arabs who compete on the regular hunter circuit. Not the Arabian one or the Arab-sporthorse one, but the ones like HITS or Wellington. Back in the day my barn had an Arab who could win 3' hunter classes all day at Ocala. Does anyone have similar stories?
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Prior to aging out of the ponies, I showed a purebred in the larges and was consistently high in the placings. I bred that mare, trained, and did everything with her myself. I now show her on the Arab-sporthorse circuit since I can't show her as a pony anymore. You'll find that most of the ponies, if they aren't Welsh, are going to be at least Half Arabs. I know a lot of people who hide their horses breeding on the open circuit. Even in the Arab-sporthorse circuit, most of the half-Arabians don't look anything like Arabs. In fact, there is a stallion that the Desiderio's have that is a purebred but you would never guess it. He looks like a warmblood. You can look at pictures from this year's Sport Horse Nationals at http://www.donstine.com/show/SHN_09Show.htm and look at the hunter/jumper sections.

My trainer has a little black Egyptian Arab named Zhar Beduette, who is now 24, that did quite well for herself as a GP jumper. She retired to life as a brood mare, and has a few very nice jumpers on the ground, including Icarus de Carolina (http://chadalefarms.com/breeding.html) I can't find any pictures of her at the moment, but if I turn some up, I'll post them.
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.
    ~Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelurus View Post
    My trainer has a little black Egyptian Arab named Zhar Beduette, who is now 24, that did quite well for herself as a GP jumper.
    FWIW, Zhar-Beduette's sire is "Blue Star" breeding (with a Saudi import in there) and her dam is almost all CMK breeding with a dab of Fadjur. I would expect a good performer, but "Egyptian" is pretty much a misnomer. Bring on the pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Quote Originally Posted by ambar View Post
    FWIW, Zhar-Beduette's sire is "Blue Star" breeding (with a Saudi import in there) and her dam is almost all CMK breeding with a dab of Fadjur. I would expect a good performer, but "Egyptian" is pretty much a misnomer. Bring on the pics!
    I will be the first to admit, I know absolutely nothing about Arab bloodlines. I was always told she was Egyptian (and don't know any better), but in any case, the point was simply that she was an Arabian doing high level jumpers. Quite a feat, Egyptian or otherwise, as far as I'm concerned Still working on pictures...
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.
    ~Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere

Kaelurus, not picking on you, just thought I'd discuss her pedigree some more. It seems really common with Arabs, for some reason, that people will identify one "name" horse in the pedigree and assume everything else is the same. In her case, though, you have to go rummaging pretty far back in her pedigree to find anything that went through Egypt. :-)

People will probably like the Arabian jumper (pix from the mid-50s!) here: http://faeriecourtfarm.com/photos/we...les/SENRAB.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

I know that my barn has a Polish (I think) purebred Arab who I showed in the 2'6 hunters this summer and she could for sure do the jumpers except she's soooo spooky...
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

My Arabian (Rebel) could hold his own in the hunters. He was never absolutely brilliant but he got the job done. He carried my toosh around the equitation classes too. That was his best class probably because he never jarred me out of place. Now he is my boyfriend's trail horse and my want to be barrel horse. I love my little Arab...he's just an all around good egg.

Not these days at WEF-----

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Fan View Post
    Not these days at WEF-----
    Agreed. The chances of seeing an Arab at WEF are slim to none. Even in the pony ring. It's all welsh now.

My new mare is half Arab half Oldenburg. She hasn't been started over fences yet, but my trainer thinks she will be a good hunter. Her movement, especially her trot, is absolutly fantastic. If she jumps as well as she flats she will be in the hunter ring for sure. She has so many Arab traits (drives my trainer crazy) but I think they all work in her favor. She has a very refined look, she's light, athletic, she seems to just float when she moves. But she's got a stride that is huge for her size, lots of power, and she's such a pleasure to ride. As long as her gets her jumping ability from the warmblood side of her family I will be happy!

When I was younger I had a purebred Arab gelding that was a superstar. I primarily evented him, but we also played around in hunter/jumper shows, gymkhanas, and he was super for chasing cows around at the farm. He was so athletic and had the biggest heart. I never took him to any big "A" shows, but he could clean up in the hunters at local shows.

This is the only jumping picture I could dig up of him:
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2em0wlx.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat95 View Post
    Wondering if there are any Arabs who compete on the regular hunter circuit. Not the Arabian one or the Arab-sporthorse one, but the ones like HITS or Wellington. Back in the day my barn had an Arab who could win 3' hunter classes all day at Ocala. Does anyone have similar stories?
    I showed a purebred at HITS in the mid 90's.

Here is a pic of him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocky jump Reg 12 b cropped.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	27002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocky jump triple bar fixed.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	27003  
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

This is a purebred I showed at the Evergreen Classic in the late 80's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KCsmall less pink lo res.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	27004   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KCballoons.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	27005  
    The Inverted Y
    www.allanglos.net

www.SHNpayback.org

Quote Originally Posted by allanglos View Post
    This is a purebred I showed at the Evergreen Classic in the late 80's.

pretty horse! and i love that picture with the hot air balloons that is SOOOO cool

Quote Originally Posted by eqrider1234 View Post
    pretty horse! and i love that picture with the hot air balloons that is SOOOO cool
    Thanks

His name was Kseynri. Sired by Seynri and out of a Ga'zi daughter.

He is around age 16 in the baloon photo and 18 in the other one.

I have some Anglo Arabians I show now in the open shows. I'll have to dig out those photos later. They do very well.

And for those who don't think Arabian breds are at these shows, you would never know.

As a matter of fact, one of my homebreds, I learned, was sold to a H/J person, and marketed by the agent as a Dutch WB/TB cross. He was actually an Anglo sired by Alota Gator Bait and out of an Anglo mare (whose dam line was Bold Ruler/Turn to). I tracked him down and told the new owner, who was very surprised. So, even the owners don't know they have Arabians
    The Inverted Y
    www.allanglos.net

www.SHNpayback.org

Talking Allanglos

I love your horses. I too have a half Arabian (Bey Shah grandson) half appendix QH. The TB sire of the mare was Red Crescent by Prince John I believe. He was standing in the Pacific Northwest in the early 90's.

I would love to hear what you think of my gelding, he's 8 now and seems to be a very natural jumper. I showed him in schooling shows that my barn had in Dressage for mileage and he did well.

Next year we plan on doing hunters at some schooling shows...Any insight you have in showing these non-traditional horses in hunter/kimper's would be great.

BTW At the last show I went to one of the trainers asked me what breed of warmblood my horse was.....I just smiled and told her what he was and got an "Oh" from her as she walked away...

Thanks

Pam
    Matinee Idol "BeeJay" Dressagemeister Imperial Gem "Ruby" Farewell my friend, forever in my Heart.

Just where do you think people get their "partbred welsh" ponies at? I bet a suspiciously large number are "half arab ponies" in disguise with hunter owners too ashamed to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Just where do you think people get their "partbred welsh" ponies at? I bet a suspiciously large number are "half arab ponies" in disguise with hunter owners too ashamed to admit it.
    Most Arab/Welsh ponies that I have seen are lovely.

Yes they are and I think a larger percentage of "welsh" ponies are part arabs then people want to admit. Which is a shame to have to hide the breed of your horse despite how well it does.

People seem to not notice that most German Riding Ponies imported to the states often have a fairly high percent of Arab in them. I guess most can't understand the passports/ pedigrees or perhaps don't want to.
    I was Champion one year at Pony Finals with a pony that was out of a 3/4 Arab mare. He was a wonderful pony, but I assure you my sales efforts would have been inhibited by publicizing that to the hunter market. For years Mrs. Dunning mixed Arab blood in many of her larger ponies with the famous Anisha. If I am not mistaken Tickled Pink was a large part Arab, as was Special Effects. Older names, but they would still be competitive today.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014