The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

jumperlady Guest

Default Looking for barn in San Fran Area as well as coast to coast shipper.

I am moving out to San Francisco in February, and I would like to start looking for some hunter/jumper barns and trainers. Does anyone have any good experiences or advice they can share?

In addition, I'm shipping my mare from the NY area, and I was wondering price/shipppers/etc. What's the cost of flying vs. hauling?

Thanks in advance!

There was a thread on here recently addressing trainers in the SF bay area. You could do a search and see what you find.

Also, Bob Hubbard is always a choice for x-country hauling.

ps-you are going to LOVE the bay area. and getting to ride all year long is a nice treat for someone coming from back east.

pps-where in ny are you from?

Second Bob Hubbard - shipped my guy from Saratoga to Portola Valley, I think it was around $2500?? They do layover's though, so your horse isn't pent up standing for days on end, that had me sold. Didn't think it was worth flying my guy to CA, he had had to do that once from Ireland already

I rode with Colin and Toni McIntosh until my horse injured himself. They have a great training program and a fun community. www.mcintosh-stables.com.

There is another thread on this. The determining factors in this area are, what type of training do you want, lessons, what are you willing to pay. Coming from NH originally, I had a really hard time adjusting to the different types of food/turnout, etc. But, there are private facilities in the area if that is more what you are looking for - basic, take-care of your own horse, all the way up to full service show barns that are travelling to area shows 75% of the year.

Are you going to be living in San Francisco itself or another city?

Shaggberg Guest

I ride with Nina & Mariano Alario, "Estancia". Our barn is in Petaluma, CA which is about 40mins north of San Francisco. They do Hunters, Jumpers, Ponies, etc. I've been with them for about 2 years and I absolutely LOVE them. Our barn is very professional but also has a family feel. Feel free to contact Nina, nina@estanciafarms.com or myself Shaggberg@mac.com if you have any questions.

Good Luck on your search!!

I have to go against the grain and say that I had a TERRIBLE experience using Bob Hubbard. Would not use again and would not reccomend.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

Where in the Bay Area will you be living/working? The Bay Area is quite large and traffic can be a problem depending on where you live/work and where your horse is located. Give us some more information and everyone will be able to offer you more help.

Also what are you looking for in the barn? Again let us have an idea and we can offer suggestions.

Kathy

I've also had crappy luck a few times with Bob Hubbard.

The barn where I work just had some horses fly FedEx from Seattle, WA, to Indoors. It ran $3500+ one way.

Sonoma Valley Stables (Hope and Ned Glynn) are great. They are in Petaluma.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

jumperlady Guest

Thanks everyone! We are still narrowing down where we will live out there. We will make a trip out in Dec to look for apts, and I wanted a few barns to look at as well.

I ride jumpers. I'm looking for a show barn that offers basics like turnout, blanketing - but I don't need/want mare in a full training program. I currently pay $850 for board/turnout/blanketing and then I'm charged per service outside of that (lessons, etc.).

I'm very excited to get off the east coast ride all year long. I'll search the other thread and see what I find. Thanks again!

I think you will find that most serious trainers out here want the horses in full training if you want to show with them. Especially in the Bay Area, places are either private or trainers lease a bunch of stalls.

Ashley Herman Guest

Default Riverside Equestrian Center & Sonoma Horse Park

I saw your thread tonight inquiring about a Bay Area barn. Are you still looking? I run Riverside Equestrian Center which is located in Petaluma. We are 35 miles north of San Francisco. These 4 hunter/jumper trainers train out of our facility: Meredith Herman, Marian Nelson, Hugh White and Lise Quintero. If you haven't already found a barn let me know if you would like to come by and take a tour. In addition to being a fantastic boarding facility we are also home to Sonoma Horse Park which is a brand new, world class horse show facility. For 2010, we are hosting seven rated shows, of which five are "A" rated. Our boarders are especially looking forward to having "A" horse shows at home. I would love the opportunity to show you the facility. The websites are www.riversideequestriancenter.com & www.sonomahorsepark.com

My cell: 415.518.2145, Email: ashley@sonomahorsepark.com

Best,
    Ashley

Default Derby Hill

Buddy & Vanessa Brown will be located at Stanford Equestrian Center beginning January 1. check out www.derbyhillfarm.com for info about their program.

I ride jumpers. I'm looking for a show barn that offers basics like turnout, blanketing - but I don't need/want mare in a full training program. I currently pay $850 for board/turnout/blanketing and then I'm charged per service outside of that (lessons, etc.).

Alder Lane Farms in Cotati, CA has two jumper trainers located there - Dusty Blackwood and Mattias Ekeroth. Beautiful facility and great trainers..

http://www.alderlanefarm.com/

As some folks said.. many trainers in the area will only take your horse into their program with full training. If the horse isn't in full training, you can find boarding situations, but the only services offered would be feeding and cleaning stalls. Many places make you do your own turn out and blanketing. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but that's what my general experience has been. Also, like other poster's said... SF traffic can be BRUTAL, so where you live and where the barn is... huge deal. It can mean the difference between spending hours in traffic.

Bob Hubbard has done a lot of shipping for our racing barn. Good service, good people working with the horses. I would second checking into FedEx. Domestic prices are pretty reasonable when shipping that distance. Hubbard has typically taken about a week, give or take a few days, for a coast to coast ship. Even with the best shippers, that's a tough trip on a horse. Might be worth the extra money to get it over in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeB10 View Post

Alder Lane Farms in Cotati, CA has two jumper trainers located there - Dusty Blackwood and Mattias Ekeroth. Beautiful facility and great trainers..

http://www.alderlanefarm.com/

I have a shipper who is going to making a trip to San fran area in a week or so. He is charging $1200. I have used him recently and was very pleased.

Default shipper

equine express is outstanding

safety, cleanliness
    daily communication
    customer service
    reasonable
    many options

above and beyond a shipper

i have used several times, CA to NY
    NY to CA, TX to NY,

ask for mike alexander
    track trash