The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeding any old mare - as long as it is registered

Just makes me sad. I advertised our foster horse for adoption on craigslist and this is one of the responses that I got - what an idiot. Thankfully we don't allow breeding for our adoptions anyway.

Hi, please tell me if Lily is registered. I need broodmares but they must have a pedigree and must be breedable. That is the only way that I can afford to keep them anymore.
    In todays economy I have to sell their foals for very little and nobody wants grade horses at all, thanks.

Yes, because God knows when I want to breed a quality foal for anything, the first place I look is the rescue barns. Just as long as she's a registered something!

Tell him she's a very rare Pintapaintarabaloosa Quarter Walking Show Horse and is only to go to a home with a stalion of the same breeding.

C'mon people, how many ads as well as giveaways do we see with the caveat 'she'll make a GREAT broodmare if you don't want to break her to ride!', when the mare in question is fugly, a conformational trainwreck, and unregistered.

Or she's nutso, thus untrainable, or has a bad injury that makes her unrideable. Um, if she's not able to be ridden because of her injury, what makes anyone think she'll be able to carry a foal's weight, especially in the last few months?

Plus, why would anyone want to breed on a nasty temperament?

I could go on and on, but y'all know what I'm talking about. Whenever I see an ad like any of the above, I just want to geld the owners.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Yes, because God knows when I want to breed a quality foal for anything, the first place I look is the rescue barns. Just as long as she's a registered something!

Tell him she's a very rare Pintapaintarabaloosa Quarter Walking Show Horse and is only to go to a home with a stalion of the same breeding.

I am going to do EXACTLY that the next time!!!! Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Pintapaintarabaloosa Quarter Walking Show Horse
    Not related to the thread, but you just gave me a new expletive to use when I'm working with my *difficult* mare within the grandkiddies' earshot! Many thanks!
    On hoofbeats and heartbeats, your love came to me. With carrots and kisses, I now set you free.
    RIP, my beloved RootBeer (4/1973-8/2007)

Point them to Fuglyhorseoftheday, LOL! Seriously, maybe they will learn something. Even a lot of registered horses aren't meant to be bred.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.