The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need a new hunt coat, suggestions?

I have an older Navy Caldene and an older Navy TS now.

I would like to branch out of the Navy but besides this classic color what direction can I go? And, what brands do you tend to like? Thanks!

What color horse do you ride? I like conservative colors with a fun lining. Dk grey with a blue or rose lining looks good on a grey.

Another vote for charcoal! I have an RJ that's charcoal with subtle striping to make it fun. Wish it had a prettier lining though.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Ariat jackets all the way! The are expensive but the quality is amazing! I've had mine for going on 3 years and it is still in mint condition. The plaid is nice too. Colors: navy goes with everything. Charcoal or gray on a grey horse, navy on a chestnut horse. Bay you can go either way- it depends on how dark your horse is.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Horse is a light chestnut, almost dark palamino with huge white blaze. Would I be an outcast in a Brown/Blue (subtle of course) jacket with a blue lining or something on those ends?

I've been wearing conservative Navy forever I have no idea what is the 'in'.

Ariat huh? I will certainly look into them! 3 years is a good shelf life still being in mint condition! There seems to be a few jackets on the RJ line. Any specific one better then the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    Horse is a light chestnut, almost dark palamino with huge white blaze. Would I be an outcast in a Brown/Blue (subtle of course) jacket with a blue lining or something on those ends?

I've been wearing conservative Navy forever I have no idea what is the 'in'.

Ariat huh? I will certainly look into them! 3 years is a good shelf life still being in mint condition! There seems to be a few jackets on the RJ line. Any specific one better then the other?
    Brown jackets= ok on the local circuit, A circuit nono. For a chestnut, blue is the best way to go. I know a lot of judges have a pet peeve of wacky linings, so stick to classic navy/black lining if you can. The jacket is mostly in mint condition: the only thing that happened to it was that it has a small rub on one sleeve from when I fell off, and one of the buttons almost came off from the same thing, but the rest is amazing quality.

Ariat is a really good brand. RJ is ok, but really it all comes down to what fits you best. I know I tried both the Ariat and the RJ, and the Ariat ended up fitting me way better. It was longer in the torso and more fitted. The RJ was more boxy. Bottom line: go to a tack show with lots of jackets and try them on. Don't order online because if you have to return it it just costs more in shipping.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/