The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brain Surgery Tomorrow...you know ... GELDING?!? Anyone Else?

On of my youngsters is having brain surgery tomorrow ... and because he is an Omni (deceased) foal, I'm a bit worried. I don't want anything to go wrong ...

Anyone have any good advise ... ?
    Last edited by Oldenburg Mom; Oct. 20, 2009 at 02:09 PM.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

I wish your foal a quick, safe surgery and a fast healthy recovery.

Jingles coming your way from Ohio!

Oh goodness ... I thought everybody knew that brain surgery is gelding! SOR-RY!!!!! I've been referring to it as brain surgery for so long ... I guess I didn't think twice!!!

He is getting cut tomorrow ... You know, .... de-balled (eww that's kinda gross) castrated, ... he's going to be getting rid of all that testosterone!!!!

But thank you West Wind ... that was very sweet of you! I hope he recovers quickly too.
    Last edited by Oldenburg Mom; Oct. 20, 2009 at 02:28 PM.
    "For God hates utterly

OK, I'm still learning. I have only foaled 3, but the first "gelding" I went through the vet (at that time) was a little concerned about the boy waking up! I asked "he is going to wake up????" Thank goodness he did

The last gelding was much better,(changed vets after the first!) and have a much more pleasant boy in the barn that is focused.

Thanks for this learning experience

Hey OM,

We clarify it here by calling it a rear lobotomy, so that everyone knows it's the 'hind brain' you're talking about! I have a two year old who desperately needs to join those singing soprano. He's already pushing 16.1, so I'm hoping to slow the growth a little, if I can--so we're just going to have to tolerate his little mouthy self until the mares start to cycle again.

Remember loads of exercise afterward and since he's a babe, it will be loads of exercise for you or someone of your choosing (or is that begging?) at least a couple of times per day

Best of luck and loads of jingles for a speedy recovery from the rear lobotomy.
    Last edited by Zydeco Sport Horses; Oct. 20, 2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: to replace signing with singing:-)
    Terri Chabaud
    Zydeco Farm/Zydeco Sport Horses
    http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/ZydecoFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by Zydeco Sport Horses View Post
    We clarify it here by calling it a rear lobotomy, so that everyone knows it's the 'hind brain' you're talking about!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!! Tooooooo funny. That's great ... another classic for the CoTH dictionary.
    "For God hates utterly

I knew exactly what you were talking about O'Mom. One of my techs schedules these appointments alternately as " 10am XYZ farm Brain Surgery 2 yearlings 1 two yr old" or "XYZ farm remove brain tumors x3"
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Best of luck and fast healing to your boy, O'Mom!

I had my silver 2-year-old done back in January, and the vet got me cracked up with a story then. Yes, he called it brain surgery! And when he got out of his truck at the farm, he said, "Where's the victim?"

Anyway, his story from earlier in the week: He had just done one of his own colts earlier in the week after that colt got a bit rambunctious being handled. One of his kids (youngish kid, 6 or so?) had been around watching. After that colt acted up on him, he said, "I'm going to cut him right now!" and went for the supplies. His kid wanted to watch, and since you might as well get an education sooner or later, he said fine. So this young kid watched the whole surgery, just fascinated, and after the vet had finished, he looked around at the kid, who was wide-mouthed just watching all this, and she said, "He DESERVED that!"

Yep. My delightfully social little boy had his brain surgery before he deserved it, but I told him it was his own fault for being both a keeper and a male in my herd of mares. I specifically ordered a filly!

Quote Originally Posted by Zydeco Sport Horses View Post
    He's already pushing 16.1, so I'm hoping to slow the growth a little, if I can--so we're just going to have to tolerate his little mouthy self until the mares start to cycle again.
    I was under the impression that they grew bigger when they were missing some of the junk out of the trunk?
    But that mouthy thing goes away, right? Right? Oh please....dear God.

I too have a mouthy nuisance getting cut on Wed. He's only 10 months old but he reckons he knows what to do with it! Very compact with a very adult shape. If you didn't know any better, you'd swear he was a young pony stallion. He's a client's horse and currently he's being shamelessly wooed by a another client's mare - a hussy of a racing TB!

Bring on the brain surgery - the sooner the better I say!

Stoicfish,

It's my understanding that the 'reasoning' behind the concept of gelding late is that if a colt is intact, the testosterone goes into developing secondary sex characteristics and not height. This has been passed on by word of mouth and not through a vet but through the experience of more than one long time breeder. Here's hoping I'm not putting up with the oral fixation and shooting myself in the foot at the same time!

Of course, this colt's full brother wasn't cut until the late spring of his third year. He stood about 15.2 when I sold him in late summer as a three year old. The colt in question, from the following year (so he is two) is already 16.1, and he's intact--so apparently, I've just shown this is little more than conjecture at least with regard to my specific experience. Hey there Mr. Mouthy get ready! Someone please grab those pinking sheers!
    Terri Chabaud

Blue Ponies Guest

Cool

My yearling Balou baby "Cole" had his "brain surgery" yesterday too. He is feeling a little sorry for himself today

ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! It's taking place right now. I'm not there ... I'm such a pansy.

I hope my boy is ok ... sniff sniff sniff Poor little munchkin. It's not HIS fault he can't keep 'em. It's that nasty TESTOSTERONE!!! Grrrrrrrrrr.

(worry worry worry worry worry worry)
    "For God hates utterly

OMOM, I am sure he will be fine. THOUSANDS of colts get castrated every year, and complications are pretty rare (so I am told).

As for the height thing - a German vet told me a few years ago that it is believed that testosterone in the system causes growth plates in the long bones to close sooner rather than later. So if you are worried about the colt getting too tall, leave him intact until he is 2-3 years old (if you can stand him that way). If you want him to get taller, castrate him at a youngish age.

*Whew*

I am now the proud owner of a very handsome yealing gelding!

Poor leetle munchkin. I hope he's not hurting too badly...
    "For God hates utterly

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    I knew exactly what you were talking about O'Mom. One of my techs schedules these appointments alternately as " 10am XYZ farm Brain Surgery 2 yearlings 1 two yr old" or "XYZ farm remove brain tumors x3"
    Hahahaha. I just saw your post ... don't know how I missed it... but, anyway, brain tumors ...*snort*
    "For God hates utterly

Hey Mom,

So glad to hear that he came though fine and is doing well. Will continue to jingle that his recovery is swift. Now get out there and chase him around.
    Terri Chabaud

O. Mom,
    Very glad your boy is doing well.
    Last time I had one done he was a jack. Yep a donkey. They had to give him a ton of sedation to knock the little guy down. So operation went well, he is lying on the grass and the vet said he might be under for a little longer cause of the amount. I was sitting on the grass with him, holding his head, making sure his eyes were ok. 45 minutes later and he is still snoozing. Someone came out to relieve me so I could eat. I gently set his head down and went to get up. Well the donkey looked up, jumped up and followed me! Apparently he was just enjoying the cuddle - what an ass! Besides asking me (by lifting his leg and pointing with his nose) where the boy bits went, he was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerole View Post
    I too have a mouthy nuisance getting cut on Wed. He's only 10 months old but he reckons he knows what to do with it! ....

Bring on the brain surgery - the sooner the better I say!
    My mouthy nuisance is 7 months old. Alas, the one testicle which had descended has now retreated... much to my disappointment.

My little man was gelded today. (Almost 5 mon) Textbook perfect, all the little bitties out, stood up nice and sensible.