The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Inguinal hernia in foal?

I posted this under Horse Care but didn't get any response. Hoping a breeder will see this and chime in.

I just found a swelling in the abdominal area on my six month old filly. I will have the vets out first thing in the a.m., but from an internet search, my guess is that it is an inguinal hernia. Can anyone share their experiences? Surgery? Can it be done laparoscopically? How much stall rest afterwards? I am so worried. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Charles Town, WV

It's probably an umbilical hernia and is fairly common. How big is it? If it's a small one and only one or 2 fingers in size, just put pressure on it for 5-10 seconds several times a day as you handle the filly and it should resolve on its own. Won't hurt to have the vet check it for you, but that's what they'll probably say.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!