The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Arrow What Do You Think Of This Horse (Conformation Wise) For A Jumper?

A friend of mine is looking to buy this 2001 15.3hh Hungarian Warmblood / Trakehner and was wondering about her conformation. She’s done jumpers, eventing, dressage and if my friend were to buy her she’d do jumpers and (if I can convince her to do) some dressage with her.

I’m no expert, so I thought I’d turn to COTH for some help! And is it just me or does her LF look really funky- clubbed maybe?

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn96/cigar_fan1/CSI/

Thanks
    Last edited by Dressage.For.Life.; Oct. 20, 2009 at 12:21 AM.

That LF looks clubbed to me, guess a set of xrays would help determine if there is a problem.
    Yeah, she has a big ol' head, but she looks like she's kind, and while her lines and angles are not my cup of tea, I know nada about what a Hungarian WB is supposed to look like. (what do you expect from a retired event rider who prefers TBs?)
    Love her back, and she looks uphill
    She might be absolutely a doll to ride. Her legs appear clean in the photos, except for that humpy kind of thing going on with the LF coronet band. Your friend might want to be sure that's not calicification that is going to affect her way of going down the line.

The more I look at her, the more I like that big head, and love those long mare ears.
    What would you try if you knew you would not fail?

Quite clubby in that left front. That will usually mean the angles of P1, P2, and P3 don't align like we want them to. I would get an x-ray of that foot just to be safe.
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Oooh...and the other topic made it just sound like she wanted to lease. Buying would be a definite no in my book.

Videos:
    http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...se-298933.html

Edited to add: For $10k?? Double pass. Google "HS Csillaghullas".

For riding and not breeding? She may be fine. I showed a gelding for many years, including mini-prix jumpers, that had a clubby foot. He was NEVER off on it, but it was a bear to keep shoes on it. Certainly didn't affect his ability to jump, or do anything really.

Since you asked for opinions, "I" would not buy this mare, unless she was already successfully showing at the level I want and is sound in a competition schedule and had the right temperment. I don't like her neck (muscled like she goes around inverted all the time) also don't like how it ties into the shoulder and chest, or her feet.

Others can disagree with me, just my two cents based on the photos provided.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

For 10k you could get an "okay" Low Children's/Children's/AA jumper. I look at her videos, and it seems like she's barely clearing those 2'9" jumps. I see a horse who is not an easy ride, who is not worth the time and training to improve her. She may have free jumped up to 4'6", but I can't see her doing that with a rider (and I'm sorry, but that does NOT look like a 4'6" fence, and even if it is, the rampiness makes it a very easy obstacle. You make that oxer square and I guarantee you she'd have it down). She's already tucking those hind legs up underneath her and throwing her head up on landing as if she's uncomfortable at anything above 3', and adding a rider to the mix--which is going to change her balance--will mean that she's going to be even more uncomfortable.

I look at what looks to be a club foot along with the rest of the horse who is downhill with an upside down neck with a long back and angles in the rear end that tell me she will never be a talented jumper, and that's the end for me.

Looks like this horse's best bet would be eventing. She did look very decent XC, and her dressage wasn't terrible, even if she did appear a little forward and overflexed at times.

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Since you asked for opinions, "I" would not buy this mare, unless she was already successfully showing at the level I want and is sound in a competition schedule and had the right temperment. I don't like her neck (muscled like she goes around inverted all the time) also don't like how it ties into the shoulder and chest, or her feet.

Others can disagree with me, just my two cents based on the photos provided.
    {Edited to add--I didn't realize there was a video--comments based on photos}
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Default Conformation

She looks like a nice tempered mare. Her LF is slightly clubby, but it may not affect her. Her right knee is very offset and that would bother me more. Overall she looks like a nice horse. The bottom line though is that if she can do her job than who cares about the conformation issues. If you were going to breed her, my opinion would be different, but if she is sound to ride than go for it.