The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Opinions on the best time to sell babies/fillies

I have planned to sell an '09 paint filly that we bred - sometime!! My original plan was to sell her as a weanling, but as that time approaches I have mixed feelings. I know the best time to sell a foal is when they are cute and cuddly - forget selling as yearlings - or wait until they are 2 or old enough to start a profession. This filly has siblings who matured to 17 hands and every day she is bigger and better and looks to be one of the bigger "sport horse" type of paints. We have only the one paint broodmare and don't really breed for the registry horses. Would you think it was best to try to market her now or just wait until she's a late yearling or two year old. Not only is she a spectacular filly - conformation, color and movement wise...she is also homozygous for the tobiano gene - does "that" fact make a difference to buyers?? We are retaining a full sister which is the only reason this filly will be for sale at all!! Thanks for ideas.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Price her at what you would like to get for her knowing this is a tough economy to sell in. If you get what you want, great. If not, you are going into it knowing you might keep her til she is 2.

The best time to sell youngsters: 3 days, 3 months, or 3 years old. Most other times you are dealing with awkwardness, butt-highness, etc. In general though I only advertise during their weanling year or late in their 2 y.o. year (and I will show them to people that ask), because other times they look gangly and awkward.

Gina

Best time to sell - right before the first vet bill!!

Personally I try to wait and see what talent they might naturally possess and then go off what I'm seeing. Right now it's just hard to sell anything, so holding on might be a better option.

Thanks all. This filly just amazes me. She's never had an ugly day since she was born. Tall, well muscled, great mover, well balanced and totally in proportion. She's just getting so big and elegant I'm wondering if I should wait to market her to get the most value. ( I wouldn't turn down a sale EVER though, you never know what they'll do to themselves tomorrow!!) Do people buying to "riding horse" give any value to a homozygous filly for breeding down the line???
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    Thanks all. This filly just amazes me. She's never had an ugly day since she was born. Tall, well muscled, great mover, well balanced and totally in proportion. She's just getting so big and elegant I'm wondering if I should wait to market her to get the most value. ( I wouldn't turn down a sale EVER though, you never know what they'll do to themselves tomorrow!!) Do people buying to "riding horse" give any value to a homozygous filly for breeding down the line???
    If they have any thoughts to breeding in the future...yes. As far as not having an ugly day......she is not a yearling or 2 YO yet!!