The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default dressage schooling show apparel

It says "formal attire not required", of course boots and helmets are. So, would you wear, formal attire (I'm just doing the Intro tests for heaven's sake) or would you just go with my preferred uniform of tweed hacking jacket, patterned stock tie, brown field boots, brown dressage bridle (my saddle is two tone brown and black, so I can really go either way with it. While it won't be any trouble to do Navy jacket, black dress boots etc, I will be nervous enough (been a while since we've shown) and my brown boots are more broken in ie, more comfortable. If anyone thinks it would be an advantage while riding a HUGE draft cross to wear formal attire (he's not drafty, just likely to be the biggest horse there), I'll suck it up, but based on the temps here lately, I'd just as soon wear my tweed.
    Did I mention how big my butt looks in white breeches????

It really depends on the area. Around here, schooling show attire is just a polo shirt in any color (or turtleneck if it's cold), breeches (also any color), boots (doesn't even have to be tall boots), and a helmet.

In other areas, people dress for schooling shows just like they do for licensed shows.

Have you been to another schooling show in your area to see what the trend is?

I agree -- for schooling shows here in the SE, clean breeches, clean boots, and a nice shirt of your choice will be jsut fine. I usually use a *gasp* navy saddle pad and *gasp* brown breeches. For a while I even had brown reins on a black bridle. Really the judge doesn't care as long as you are clean and neat, she is watching your horse. No matter how many snotty glares you get from the local DQ's (they always make me laugh...).

I think it's good to maintain just one set of show clothes, the set which is useful in the most circumstances. That means one set for recognized and schooling shows - the dark coat, the white breeches, etc.

Rather than have choices and more than one set of show clothes to maintain, I had one set and stuck to worrying about fewer things.

Default slc

I don't need to purchase anything, since I foxhunted for several years, I have both formal attire and "ratcatcher". Since I've never actually done a "dressage" schooling show, I wasn't sure what most would wear. I'm more comfortable in my field boots as they are broken in more, and let's face it, tweed shows very little slobber/dirt, etc. Also, warmer than my navy jacket. My horse is a liver chestnut, and I've several nice jackets that look smart with his coloring. I'll be doing a rated show next month, so I'll have to trot out the formal wear for that one, thought I'd save having to have it cleaned at least one more time. Unless my trainer has a fit...

I'm doing a schooling show this upcoming weekend (also just Intro A & B) and am wearing white breeches, tall black boots, a nice collared shirt (actually, a cool Arista show shirt that has a slight embroidered pattern that I lucked out on at a sale!) and gloves. Just skipping the coat and stock tie.

There are people in my area who go to schooling shows in very casual attire and colored saddle pads, then some that dress quite nicely. I think it's a matter of preference to a certain degree. I prefer to keep it pretty polished.

I'm going to one on the 31st and wearing a costume...

Otherwise, i just wear clean beige breeches and a polo with whatever clean saddle pad i've got in the tack room that day. Provided its neat and clean, i dont think it matters. Its just a schooling show. Be comfortable.

When my daughter goes to schooling shows I always take as much care in her turnout as I would if she was going to a recognized show. Her pony is spotless and braided, she wears a black dressage coat, white pants, and black tall boots (I have been accused of being anal) The judges have always commented on how they appreciate the attention to turnout. I think whatever you decide to wear as long as it's clean, well fitted and put together nicely you will be fine!!
    My DraftX could kick your Dutch Warmbloods BUTT!

Around here, when a schooling show states 'formal attire not required', people show up in half chaps or full chaps and paddock boots and sometimes collared shirts, sometimes not....

....so, any tall boots and 'show jacket' of any kind is 'overdressed'. Not that people look funny at anyone, just not the norm at such shows.

For your first schooling show, you will be fine. If the show bill specifically says formal attire not needed, I would skip the coat alltogether, and just wear a polo or turtleneck, with a vest if needed for warmth. As long as your boots and tack are clean, it does not matter what color you wear. I would stick to a plain saddle pad, white or black.

I entered one of my youngsters in his first schooling show this coming Sunday. I'm the breeder and owner, not the rider.

Because he is for sale, I need really good video and photos so we'll be taking that into account on what the rider wears and the attention to tack.

I bought a gorgeous white saddle pad for the occasion.

Default going with "schooling casual"

Based on today's ride, we'll be going with a turtleneck, vest, clean boots and tack and a silent prayer for some small slice of obedience. We went down centerline today looking like a drunk anaconda. Yuck.

In my area it depends on why you are going to the schooling shows. If you are doing the schooling show series because it's cheaper than the USDF shows than you would ride in collard shirt, light breeched and boots because formal attire is not required. If you are using the schooling show to prepare for recognized that will happen later in the season I like to treat them as recognized shows with complete turnout for the horse and I. However I do think that I look better in photographs in my show whites that in schooling clothes.

I'd shown only recognized for so long, I kinda wondered what to wear for a schooling show. I decided on my white breeches and tall boots, a white turtleneck, and a fitted vest (blue). I wore my helmet, of course, and gloves. I didn't braid, but otherwise my horse's turnout was regular show, i.e., clean tack, shiny bit, off-white saddle pad. Looking back, I wish I'd used the lovely blue quited pad a friend sent me: It would have matched the vest. LOL As long as it's clean and neat, I don't think it's any big deal. Some of my fellow competitors were in full show turn out - jackets and stocks, others wearing sweaters, and one gal navy breeches and a polo shirt. The judge was a USEA Eventing judge.