The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Default Evaluate the mare on the OC?

Somewhereinbetween?

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/i...lay&thread=930

It's far too soon for me to be making ANY decisions...

But I can make it there in a day...

I have a couple of confo concerns, but I am not used to looking at Track TBs. And those toes... I don't judge still photos well at all. I usually have to see them, and get a feeling...

Pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/somewhereinbetween
    (which keeps locking up on me, I s'pose others are looking)
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I honestly and personally think she is a very well bred filly. Her father is just stunning.
    When i looked at her on OC i really really liked her. She has a wonderful shoulder on her. She is a tad long in her front pasterns but with some better shoeing that might also help her stand a little better. she looks well shod but she also looks like she has a lot less heel than she normall would. She has
    obviously been very well taken care of. she is gleaming in good health.

Keep in mind the photos like these dont do the horse justice. Once she is home and fattened up i think she'll look like a million bucks. She has a bump on the outside of her left front leg but i wouldnt worry too too much about it. As long as its solid and theres no obviously signs of inflammation or lameness im sure she's fine. she looks, like i said, very well taken care of. for the most part she looks very clean legged, no ankles to write home about.

I would say GO FOR IT! For that price...and it is quite neg., i would take her home in a heartbeat. She looks very sweet and like a lovely lady. Im sure she would love to go home with you and have a new job in life! She is in danger of ending up somewhere bad so i would go ahead and go for it. go up and look at her, bring the trailer, and if you really like her...take her home. Im sure she'll look really really nice filled out

The mare gives new meaning to the term "downhill".... (short front legs, long hind legs). I also don't like the way her neck comes out of her withers.

A $600.00 horse costs as much to maintain as a $60,000.00 one, so the purchase price shouldn't be the only consideration.

Just my opinion......
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

I love My Gemsa Gem currently at Suffolk - pedigree here

And I keep coming back to The Power of Music
    Pedigree here
    -Jessica

Exactly what Siegi said, if you are looking at her as a riding horse. Yes, she is very well bred, to produce race horses. Actually I am amazed at just how short her front legs are. I'd pass, unless I was wanting to breed a racehorse.

there is also a LOVELY 15.3 hh bay geldig just posted for the same price who needs a home NOW! He is lovely and VERY VERY well put together. his legs look quite clean also, he just needs some better shoeing. check him out on the FL trainer listings hes one of the first ones and his add inside is listed as needing a home NOW!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    there is also a LOVELY 15.3 hh bay geldig just posted for the same price who needs a home NOW! He is lovely and VERY VERY well put together. his legs look quite clean also, he just needs some better shoeing. check him out on the FL trainer listings hes one of the first ones and his add inside is listed as needing a home NOW!!!!!!
    Cute but a gelding is really hard to get pregnant. I agree with Seigi, I didn't love the mare. Her neck is low and short. I also didn't like the withers, you would get a low score on saddle position I think.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Interesting that they are using a chain on her - is she really hard to handle? I am not crazy about her conformation - too downhill for my taste, and her neck is too short for her back. I would pass on her.

Gina

I like The Power of Music, also. I'm not sure the chain on the nose is indicative of anything other than it's used alot at the track. That is not a very good photo and the angles could misrepresent leg length, etc. Go have a look. I hate to just write off a horse that needs a home from one bad photo. Maybe she's not a "breeding quality" mare, not sure that photo can be fairly evaluated, but hopefully she'll find a home!
    PennyG

chains are used on just about every horse at the track, quiet or not.

What about this girl?

It's a bit hard to tell what her conformation is like from those pics, but she looks like a nice type and quite balanced overall. I like her shoulder and her hip, and her face is just lovely.
    Last edited by kookicat; Oct. 20, 2009 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Because I can't spell
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    What about this girl?

It's a bit hard to tell what her conformation is life from those pics, but she looks like a nice type and quite balanced overall. I like her shoulder and her hip, and her face is just lovely.
    What a nice mare!
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

What about this girl?

It's a bit hard to tell what her conformation is life from those pics, but she looks like a nice type and quite balanced overall. I like her shoulder and her hip, and her face is just lovely.
    She's a lovely girl. I'm very sorry about the quality of the pictures, but she had her eyes on the track and I think she thought she was going over, so she was dancing around a bit.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    She's a lovely girl. I'm very sorry about the quality of the pictures, but she had her eyes on the track and I think she thought she was going over, so she was dancing around a bit.
    Oh, no criticism meant. I can't take a decent pic of my horses when they're asleep, never mind race fit and at a busy race track. I think you do a grand job.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

While the short neck wouldn't bother me so much, the very downhill build would. I would pass.

I do like the Gem mare though! Just couldn't find a price.

I like the looks of this mare. She might be worth checking out.

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/i...lay&thread=997

Or this one

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=14247682

There's nothing that particularly screams in her pedigree nor her conformation. Why are you looking at another horse when you were on the fence to begin with about breeding another mare? Wouldn't this add to your troubles?
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

What about this girl?

She is lovely!