The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Foods that your horse tested positive for (or none)

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • No significant food allergies

2 11.11%
  • Soy

4 22.22%
  • Wheat

9 50.00%
  • Corn

11 61.11%
  • Barley

5 27.78%
  • Oats

8 44.44%
  • Alfalfa

2 11.11%
  • Flax

4 22.22%
  • molasses

5 27.78%
  • other

7 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Default Results of Food Allergy Testing - A Poll

Having recently tested 4 related horses for food allergies, I'm curious as to what the results are that others have had when they have tested.

I started the poll:
    horse 1 : carrots, soy, wheat
    horse 2: Wheat, corn,barley
    horse 3: Beet Pulp, molasses, apples
    horse 4, soy, beet pulp, apples
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

My horse tested positive to beet pulp, borderline positive to soy, and borderline to barley. He also was positive, etc to various weeds and trees and grasses, and, well, life in general. The biggest help so far has been getting the beet out of his diet. There was much debate, anxiety, gnashing of teeth, and so on over the soy, but he has done VERY well on the feed I have him on now that contains soy with no issues (he's "fat" for the first time in his life, so now I'm wondering if the beet caused more than just skin issues). Weeds are another issue, but we are leaving that problem behind us for now with the coming of winter, and our Ag guy is already devising a plan for next spring for our pastures that will help to some degree. I was worried about our hay (timothy, which he I think he is borderline positive for), but he's totally fine with it, as well.

He is a perfect example of the fact that these tests aren't conclusive and aren't necessarily 100% accurate. It was dead on about the beet (which I suspected for awhile), and he definitely has issues with things out in the fields, but everything else seems, so far at least, to be a non-issue.

Alfalfa and rice bran.

Never officially tested, but I have had two allergic to alfalfa.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post

He is a perfect example of the fact that these tests aren't conclusive and aren't necessarily 100% accurate. It was dead on about the beet (which I suspected for awhile), and he definitely has issues with things out in the fields, but everything else seems, so far at least, to be a non-issue.
    I know that in people, severe allergies to one food that is still in the diet can cause adverse reactions to a variety of foods that will eventually go away when the real offender is removed.
    I would not be surprised if that was not the case with your guy.

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

One of my guys is allergic to wheat, corn, oats, rice bran and orchard grass. That makes it about impossible to find a commercial feed for him. He gets beet pulp, barley and alfalfa. It really has made a change in his overall health.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    One of my guys is allergic to wheat, corn, oats, rice bran and orchard grass. That makes it about impossible to find a commercial feed for him. He gets beet pulp, barley and alfalfa. It really has made a change in his overall health.
    LMF Low Carb Stage 1 has none of the offensive things in it. I'm feeding one that is allergic to all grass hay, corn, oats, barley. He can eat flax, rice bran, beet, alfalfa, soy, and wheat. That is pretty much all he gets save the wheat, because I don't feed it. Finding supplements is also a chore because they can't have any of the offending foods in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Seal Harbor View Post
    LMF Low Carb Stage 1 has none of the offensive things in it. I'm feeding one that is allergic to all grass hay, corn, oats, barley. He can eat flax, rice bran, beet, alfalfa, soy, and wheat. That is pretty much all he gets save the wheat, because I don't feed it. Finding supplements is also a chore because they can't have any of the offending foods in them.
    Thank you Seal. I contacted LMF to get an ingredient list and it does indeed have rice bran. Darn it anyway.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

My pony was tested and wasn't allergic to any feeds, just inhaled stuff. The grasses she was allergic to was the pollen from them, not the actual eating of it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    Thank you Seal. I contacted LMF to get an ingredient list and it does indeed have rice bran. Darn it anyway.
    Huh, I have a tag sitting here from a bag of it and no rice bran on it at all. Interesting. Sorry to hear that! I will have to look at the bags I just bought that are at the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    I know that in people, severe allergies to one food that is still in the diet can cause adverse reactions to a variety of foods that will eventually go away when the real offender is removed.
    I would not be surprised if that was not the case with your guy.
    hmm, interesting and very logical. This would make sense to me. Thanks for that little tidbit of info!

I would not trust what ANY blood test told me for food allergy. Blood allergy testing for inhalents/ enviromental allergens in horses is not nearly as reliable as skin testing. Blood allergy testing for food in our horses, dogs and cats is HIGHLY inaccurate. Lisa

I really didn't expect rice bran to show up as an allergen. Since it has proteins in it, it makes sense, but geez RICE?
    Interesting how many are allergic to corn.....