The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thicker square saddle pads..

I bought a custom square saddle pad from Smartpak last year and used it maybe about 5 - 10 times and it started to rip...plus it was too thin. My guy has a sensitive back and the square one I got was just too thin for him, he did not like it (aside from the not lasting very long). Aside from using my good white fleece show pad, I have been using a thick western pad for daily riding, (purple by the way, when everything else is hunter green ). Are there any thicker square pads out there, or am I just stuck with my clashing western pad and/or the fitted fleece show pad, when everybody else gets to use their cool square pads with the neat embroideries and colors?

I got a Horseware Ireland one once as a bonus buy from Dover and I really like it.
    It's reversible, and quilted, and a little more "plush" than the regular square pads.
    i think it actually has some filling. Mine is a few years old now, I use it on multiple horses and wash it often, and it really is wearing very well. I would definitely get another. I think Dover still has them. I have a sensitive back one too (two of them actually) and they both really like it.

**I just checked on Dover and didn't see the one I have, but they had several others that had some filling and were a little fluffier.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Thanks, I will check that out.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I have a Roma reversible saddle pad, and it has worn like iron. Wash it, and it comes back all fluffy and in great shape:

http://www.wcircle.com/inc/sdetail/10184
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

I have a poly pad that I bought about 10 years ago and other than a small tear that it got from moving and not being packed right, it has been wonderful! My guy has a very sensitive back also and he just can't handle the thinner pads...

Check out seamsright.com

I use only the Mattes square fleece pad. Wouldn't you know, it's one of the most expensive ones out there, but I have found it to be far superior to everything else I've tried.

[QUOTE=Jaegermonster;4444309]I got a Horseware Ireland one once as a bonus buy from Dover and I really like it.
    It's reversible, and quilted, and a little more "plush" than the regular square pads.

There on some of these on ebay right now if you search rambo saddlepad- I really like mine and washes great!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara_F View Post
    I use only the Mattes square fleece pad. Wouldn't you know, it's one of the most expensive ones out there, but I have found it to be far superior to everything else I've tried.
    OK, I was looking at that in the Smartpak catalog (you're right, not cheap), it still looks a little thin. Do you (or can you) use another pad under it?

I was also looking at the Kensington saddle pad (much cheaper), it looks to be a little thicker..anyone ever use those?

I have the Roma - waffle weave, padded, washed it dozens of times, padded at wither,
    not too expensive.

I love the Horseware pads--last forever and are pretty cheap!

I was also looking at the Kensington saddle pad (much cheaper), it looks to be a little thicker..anyone ever use those?[/QUOTE]

yes I have a kensington pad as well and that pad is my absolute favorite. I love how it breathes,maintains it shape and out on the trails, it does not pick anything up. It is nice and thick!

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'll go ahead and try the Kensington, it's cheap enough, and if it doesn't work out there are plenty of girls at my barn that will take it. Still, if anyone knows of any others that are thick and hold up with time, please let me know.

alschiavo Guest

I use a polypad as well and I really love it. The only downside is they take FOREVER to dry when you wash them.

~audrey~

I use this pad It has a fleece lining on the top part of the pad, so it's some extra padding under the saddle without the extra bulk under your leg. At my local tack shop they run $29.95 and it comes in every color imaginable. I also have the same pad in a dressage size. My schooling pads I've had for several years, they wash great. My black show pads still look great. The one I've had for about 4 years and it hasn't even faded with washing.

Quote Originally Posted by alschiavo View Post
    I use a polypad as well and I really love it. The only downside is they take FOREVER to dry when you wash them.

~audrey~
    I have two of the polypads and love them. I even toss them in the dryer for a bit. Love them--extra $, but found them on sale at Bit of Britian site-worth it.
    Tater-my Western Sport Horse
    http://www.clipshack.com/5539

I have this Lettia pad. It's the thicker one made by them. I'm not sure how old it is as it came with my -slightly used- dressage saddle this spring, but it's looks great and seems very durable.

Thumbs up Rambo Saddlepad

I have two and they wear like iron, dry fast and don't shrink. I usually wash them in cold water and air dry but a couple of times DH threw them in the dryer or washed in warm water. Still no shrinkage! I went through two polypads that shrunk and became too small for my saddle so I'm very happy with the Rambo's. They don't slip either.

Another vote for polypads. they are thick, last forever, thickness doesnt compress over time. they are a little pricey, but not really considering they will last a LONG time!!!
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"