The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long till you show a body clipped horse?

A friend of mine is going to clip her daughter's chestnut with lots of chrome pony this weekend for the Penna. 4-H state finals next weekend and she wanted to know from coth members if they think that the coat will look good enough by then, as in grown in enough to not look too bald. She is an experienced clipper, but has not done a flashy chestnut before.

Give the pony a bath first, spray with show sheen or some kind of slick spray, and use a brand new blade. That will eliminate any tracks or uneven clip marks.

The pony is going to be a weird color but if you take steps to make sure the clip job is GOOD, he'll look fine. This time of year there will be a LOT of clipped horses so he won't stand out as being "bald."

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have clipped horses the night before they show with no problems. Yes, the color is going to change a bit, but as long as you are experienced enough not to leave clipper marks, it will be fine.

It is important to make sure the horse is *really* clean before you start. Bathe and dry under a cooler if necessary. Clipping is also the one time I will use show sheen on the coat; it really helps the blades slide through the hair evenly.

After clipping, I give my horses a hot oil treatment. They get bathed again to remove any bits of hair or traces of clipper oil, then I will slather them in conditioner (including the mane and tail) and let that sit for a few minutes before rinsing. Then I do a final rinse with a bucket of warm water that has had a few squirts of baby oil added, applied with a sponge. It really seems to help the coat.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Be sure you're using the right size blade so you don't scalp him and get him very clean/slick beforehand. I've clipped a horse at a show before and had him show the next day; looked great. Ideally a week though to let the coat really get shine in.

If you aren't experienced with not leaving tracks, do it 1 week before.

I have shown mine the day after a clip. He is a chestnut. I just spritzed some show sheen on and off I went.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=292400180

What everyone has suggested is spot on.

Remember to overblanket him. Keeping him toasty is going to keep him from getting fresh from the clipping. Warm up with a 1/4 sheet or 2 even. Don't let him get cold or you'll have a fresh pony on your hands which is never a good thing.

Good luck.

p.s. What's the difference between a good clip job and a bad one?

Two weeks. :-)

As long as she uses the correct blades (nothing closer than #15) he should not be "bald", just freshly clipped. IMO, I think nothing is prettier than a horse that was clipped day of, or day before showing.

#10 blade and it'll be fine.

Chestnuts give me the most heart palpitations when clipping. That first swipe always makes me sweat when you go from beautiful copper chestnut to peach pony. No matter how many chestnuts I clip. I will always have that "what have I done??" moment.

Call me strange, but I love the way chestnuts look when they are clipped... The pony will look fine... if nothing else he'll look better than he would unclipped and sweaty.

I like the way it looks too, but it's such a drastic change it freaks me out every time.

My old chestnut turned the color of dirt when I clipped him. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the color my new chestnut is going to turn...
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by QM2 View Post
    What's the difference between a good clip job and a bad one?

Two weeks. :-)

Exactly right! My clip jobs suck, so I always hide the horse for a week or two until the lines go away.

Oh, and this will be the first year I'll be clipping my chestnut. I'm already bracing myself for the peanut-butter color.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Thank you for the replies. The pony came out looking good. He looks like a dun now, but shiny, and not "peachy", like I thought he would.
    I love that color.

He'll look just fine. Mine only takes about a week to "grow in" and not look bald. I've shown my pony the day after getting clipped too, and it certainly never has affected his placing.

go by the tack shop and see if they have any Silverado Shine Highliter. It's in a pink can with a green cactus and black cap. It's the BEST shine stuff ive EVER used. Seriously. Screw show sheen, afro sheen, nothing compares. It even smells good

Spray it on his body, rub it in with a towel. put a bit extra in the areas you really want to show off (like if he's got a really nice neck, put some down the center of his neck to really show off the definition)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthehorse View Post
    I have shown mine the day after a clip. He is a chestnut. I just spritzed some show sheen on and off I went.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=292400180

OK WOW whoever clipped that horse needs to make and sell the video instructions!! they would make a fortune!!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

When I was still leasing Harrold and took him to Pebble, he arrived on a Monday, was clipped on that Tuesday, and showed Thursday-Sunday. Granted we were in the jumpers so it probably wasn't as big of a deal as it may have been in hunter-land, but he looked great. My trainer swore up and down that he went faster right after being clipped, thus the motivation to do it upon arriving at Pebble

Hairy monster unclipped: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1044030002
    And Hairy-monster clipped: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1044030002
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1572480181

This was either 3 or 4 days after I clipped my horse.
    -Grace

Quote Originally Posted by hellerkm View Post
    OK WOW whoever clipped that horse needs to make and sell the video instructions!! they would make a fortune!!
    Twas I! But in September, summer coat clips always look better than winter ones. He is older and gets a very thick coat in the summer, I had clipped him already in August but he needed done again before this one as their winter coats were starting in pretty good, its been a chilly fall here.

Default 3-4 years ago I clipped Espiranza

3 days before leaving for Indoors, and she won the hack. Just take more care in clipping when time is short...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com