The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Got western? Yep, for your dressage critter

Lovin' me my western saddle, as shown in photo. Also have Pimp My Ride double ear headstall, covered with silver, matching reins and pimparillo curb bit.

Horse LOVES his western rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oliver saddle.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	26973  

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Lovin' me my western saddle, as shown in photo. Also have Pimp My Ride double ear headstall, covered with silver, matching reins and pimparillo curb bit.

Horse LOVES his western rides.
    Oh, Oliver has more than one outfit? He goes both ways? What a crazy concept!

Where is said "Pimp My Ride double ear headstall, covered with silver, matching reins and pimparillo curb bit."

We need pictures!

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I will take some this weekend. It is the most expensive outfit of all for just walking around in, since all we do in that is walk around. Every now and then he may do a bit of work in it, but those days he has a matching snaffle bridle, no pimpage but of course the leather matches.

Well of course the leather matches! Doesn't that go without saying?

How do you think I learned to sit the trot on the not-smooth horse I had as a junior (Rocket)?

I borrowed Patty's western saddle for several days. Once I got the hang of it using the Western saddle, it carried over to the Engolsh saddle.

No pictures, unfortunately.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

After I buy a jumping saddle, I'm going to save up for a Western one (don't know where I'm going to put all these saddles). I took two years of Western lessons and some days, I have a hankerin' to go round some barrels and do some pole bendin'.

I'd like to try cutting. However, as Denny (I think) said, I'd probably end up (on the ground) facing north on (from) a southbound facing horse!

I really like the Circle Y trail saddle I bought for my husband who still doesn't ride. It's very well balanced. Some do throw ya up against the cantle,I think.

Folks, if any of y'all ever get a chance to go to a Buck Brannaman clinic and watch him ride one of his two-rein or bridle horses, you will finally and forever be convinced that the imaginary boundaries between good dressage and good western horsemanship are a figment of narrow imaginations and nothing more. Good riding is good riding, period.

That said, don't forget that there is a lot of bad riding out there, alas--but no one discipline has a corner on it.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I wish I'd had my camera the day a friend of mine brought her fancy competition dressage horse and a new horse into the indoor. The new horse spooked while she was adjusting tack, and ran off, and wouldn't be caught. She mounted her dressage horse and did some amazing, effortless cow-cutting moves, quickly caught the naughty new horse, and brought him back to the mounting block. It was hysterical.

Oliver's girlfriend Sierra finds nothing wrong with doing the whole western thing- she pulls it off quite well

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/P1060939.jpg
    http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/P1060288.jpg
    http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/P1070132.jpg

But she also enjoys her rides in her close contact saddle or her dressage saddle equally as much, and *brag* does just as well in those rings too. SHe has taught me a good horse is a good horse, it really doesn't matter what you ride them in.

WOW I never knew we had so many cross dressers on this board!
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

MPW: Is that a quickbit I spy? I haven't seen one of those for years!

They were all the rage when I rode western way back when the earth was new.
    Just seemed so practical!

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    MPW: Is that a quickbit I spy? I haven't seen one of those for years!

They were all the rage when I rode western way back when the earth was new.
    Just seemed so practical!
    Yup! A friend gave it to me many years ago, it sat in the bottom of my tackbox, survived being thrown out once or twice, and when I decided to move over to the darkside with my mare I tried it on her- she LOVES it!

So cool!

My paint loves her baucher. So we use it even when I slip over to the darkside for a short ride. I can't imagine her going in my quickbit - high port w/copper roller.

JSM: cross-dressers and proud of it!

Monstrpony, you are so right!

And I'd love to see Buck Branahan. (sp)

I saw where there's a Jack Brainard clinic in se PA. . . probably at Willowbrook.

Haven't seen him ride, but Mark Rashid is pretty quiet and intuitive with his groundwork.

What English folks don't realize is that the good Western riders and trainers are concerned about things like the horse's footfalls and balance.

And yes that's what I say --- my horses and I are cross dressers!! I just rode my four year old mare in a Chris Cox clinic in my Western saddle with my English bridle w/French link dee ring. I guess I could have changed the bridle, but the mare didn't care! She got to herd cattle ! --- I was afraid she was too green for me if she decided to have a fit when she got near the cows. It was a non-event w/Chris on her.

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    So cool!

My paint loves her baucher. So we use it even when I slip over to the darkside for a short ride. I can't imagine her going in my quickbit - high port w/copper roller.

JSM: cross-dressers and proud of it!
    That's the exact bit I have- high port w/ covered copper roller. She loves the bit and goes so well in it- better than even a regular low or medium port. I am so glad I kept it for all those years. She goes well in alot of bits though- just put her in a double bridle for the first time and she took to it like it was nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    That's the exact bit I have- high port w/ covered copper roller. She loves the bit and goes so well in it- better than even a regular low or medium port.
    Mine might even be a spade. I'll have to dig it out and check.

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

MPW's mare also had high score of the day (and 3rd highest score) her first time out in the dressage ring. Oliver is madly in love with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    MPW's mare also had high score of the day (and 3rd highest score) her first time out in the dressage ring. Oliver is madly in love with her.
    I would say that Oliver has excellent taste. She's quite the looker.

Please sir, I'd like some MORE!