The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Bergamon being "jogged" in western gear at Stargate in Argyle, TX...

Ya, was pretty shocked to see the local mexican barn worker "jogging" him in full western tack around the property....Unbelievable. Why would you want to mess with him?? If he needs to be worked, do something else.

Pehaps he was enjoying a hack around the property?

Oh noes, he iz ruined 4 LIFE!!!1

Pffft.

Ditto on the 'so what?' Maybe that's his regular routine.

Seriously? Western cooties?

and wtf is up with mentioning the barn worker's race? Would it matter if the groom was South African or West Indian?
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Was he really Mexican or are you just using "Mexican" as a catchall for "brown"? Because, that's really just delightful.

And you really think that getting casually trotted around in whatever saddle is going to negatively impact the horse? HEAVEN FORFEND he go for a relaxing hack. The only place he should be allowed to exit his box is under tack in the double amirite?

For the record when I was a working student at Lendon's one of the horses had a very good relationship with the head groom and he would ride her on a regular basis -AND DO ARENA WORK. They would WTC around and be generally adorable together. Was it classical? Did he have any real dressage training? No and no, but they had some kind of groove going on and the horse was better for having her little "Lupe rides".

Again with the 'and.. ?'

I work my horse around like he's HUS - head down, reins apart, in a jog - it lets him relax. I always do it after I've worked him 'properly', and at shows, just before i go see the judge, so he's relax to go in the ring.

And so what if it was western tack ? Maybe he likes it, because it has a different feel on it ?

It doesn't take much to shock you if your shocked seeing a horse jogging in western gear.Whoopidy doo.Do you think Bergamon gives a toss?Do you think his life should be restricted to the arena?Please.

so.....The Aryan Nation disapproves of a Warmblood horse being ridden by a 'mexican'?

This discussion isn't even worth participating in.
    Last edited by slc2; Oct. 16, 2009 at 05:36 AM.

I regularly hack out my serious dressage horses in my western tack. OH THE HORRORS!
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

I used to occasionally hack my PSG schoolmistress mare out in the field in western tack. She liked it. I also used to ride her bareback with a halter and a lead. She liked that even more.
    If we put her back in her double bridle and her dressage saddle, she would go back to doing all her dressage stuff.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Well, he IS in Texas, after all ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

monstrpony has it right. He IS in TX.

For all those up in arms about the mention of the barn worker's race, I really do NOT think that was because the OP was being racist, it was probably just because in TX that's how many of the people refer to the barn workers. It's like a label, kind of like saying "Indian Summer" weather. People are not thinking of the race, they are using a label they are familiar with. Can it be construed as racist? Yes, but most often by non-Texans. Are some of the people who use it racist? I'm not sure that's something we'll know unless we now and meet the OP in person.

Now, picking on the fact that the OP is shocked by western gear on the horse and seeing it jog around--well that is worthy of the more derisive replies out here.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

For all those up in arms about the mention of the barn worker's race, I really do NOT think that was because the OP was being racist, it was probably just because in TX that's how many of the people refer to the barn workers

That does not mean it is not racist.

Default for those that don't know....

Stargate has finally sold and most of the horses are being auctioned off in November...including Bergamon and Nassau.

So, perhaps they are fitting him up for the sale???
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Get a life.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Default Versatile stallion; good for him!

The style tack does not matter. Who cares about the equip and who was on him? Hey, at least the horse was out and getting excercised! Additionally, I think this shows the versatility of the stallion; good for him!

So, I just rode one of my dressage horses in a Dually Halter with reins and a western pad and anti-casting surcingle to hold it on (he's way too big for a bareback pad); am I a sinner?? Oh, and this is my FEI I1 horse and only the second time I'd ridden him bareback - first time with anything resembling a halter or hackamore!! We did passage, trot S/I and H/P, canter S/I, tempi changes, and pirouette's bareback and w/ halter! Needless to say, I was beyond ecstatic that we could be so connected together, sans any specific equipment!! Good boy; whata guy!!

I had the amazing good fortune to ride in Spain a few years ago, and many of the horses that could do higher level dressage movements also wore more traditional tack and rode out on the trails. They seemed so happy with their jobs.

In my opinion, the owner of the hacienda rode as good as, if not better, than the top-rated dressage riders. His seat was beautiful, and he always rode "Western-style" using just one hand on the reins. His horse was perfectly collected on a loose rein, in a snaffle bit. (Oh to ride that beautifully!)

In fact, it was seeing this that convinced me that dressage has absolute relevance for trail riders and vice versa. His horses were unflappable but with lots of "brio."

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Eggie, as I said, it CAN be used in a racist way, but often it is used as a daily term and no one thinks about what it means.

I believe with words it is the intent behind them that defines if it's racist or not. It's also up to the person who uses it, and the person the comment is directed towards. How do you know the OP is not of Mexican descent? We just don't know enough to throw out comments stating that the intent was to be racist. I think people are MUCH to liberal with that term. It's like when you disagree with our President on an issue you are immediately labeled racist. Or if you tried to describe how he looks to another person who was not from here and didn't know who he is. Wouldn't you have to say something about color or race in there, if you're describing his physical looks? And don't some people use their ethnicity as a badge of honor?

I just guess that I wouldn't throw the term around so easily. When you live in Texas, it's VERY different. Ask the groom what they think, and ask the OP exactly what they meant. Then we will all know how it was intended.

Done. I'm off my soap box! (I've just lived in the deepest blue and deepest red states, the farthest north, and the farthest south. I used to be shocked by some things that were said, but when I realized how the locals viewed it when they were saying it and when people were saying it about and to them, I learned to wait to judge and will not ever just throw the label of racist around.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I'm with Velvet on this one, I didn't pick up anything derogatory re the "Mexican" reference, would folks mind if someone referred to you as "American". I don't know why, all of a sudden, this term sounds bad, it just refers to their country of origin. But, for this reason, I typically use the person's name or refer to them as "the gentleman" that cleans stalls or grooms for so-n-so, etc. It sounds more respectful.