The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possibly relocating, whats the horsey life like near Hartford CT?

It's just a possibility at the moment but I need to start doing research. What are some good boarding barns near Hartford and/or Windsor CT? Need lots of turnout in safe fencing, hay, GOOD care and outdoor arena at least.

Also, are there any good real estate agents specializing in horse properties out there?

What are good towns or areas to live in within 45 mins of Windsor that are good places to live for horse people?

Are there any of those equestrian communities out that way and does anyone have any experience with them??? I was thinking that might be the best of both worlds. Horses in the backyard under my care but major facilities like rings/trails maintained by association fees or something??

I'm not totally in that area, but I was over there recently a few times, and really surprised to find the whole area from around Windsor and north, east and west, is very pretty and very horsey. One good resource for the "tri state" area (NY, CT, MA) is www.justhorses.com They have listings of boarding barns, etc. Also look for the Horseman's Yankee Pedlar (they are online, too). They cover New England, and have lots of listings and ads for barns and services - stuff you will never know about otherwise!

Equibrit - it's cheap compared to Westchester!

I'm not Equibrit, sorry!

Thanks for the link though, I'll check it out. Hopefully some others will chime in with personal recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeRoute View Post
    I'm not Equibrit, sorry!

Thanks for the link though, I'll check it out. Hopefully some others will chime in with personal recommendations!
    That's weird - there was a reply from Equibrit, saying it was expensive in the area. Now its gone. ? Oh well.

What's your riding discipline? Are you looking for a farm, or a boarding place with a house in a town? 45 minutes gives you a pretty big range of areas to choose from. Do you like rural/remote or a place with movies, restaurants, etc. nearby?

You will also find ads in the Steed Read (www.steedread.com).

twofatponies,

Well, I do a little bit of dressage and jumping and trail riding. I guess you could say combined training. I don't do anything seriously/competitively. I would probably prefer an eventing oriented barn or a H/J barn. I do want a high level of horsemanship at a barn though. I'm used to taking care of my horses myself and want to feel comfortable leaving them in someone elses care.
    I am not sure if I would board permanently or not but I'm sure I would have to for a while during the transition and it may take a while to find just the right piece of real estate. Maybe I'd love boarding so much I'd decide not to buy another farm to keep horses at. But most likely I'd want a small farm or at the least a home in a rural setting. I don't like suburbia.

CT does seem to be a lot more expensive than where I currently live and the weather isn't any better... so I'm thinking of scraping the whole idea. Who knows. I'll need to think about it more.

CT is a big hunter/jumper state. Anything near and around hartford isnt really country or rural; it in fact is quite city-like and we'e loosing farmland here by the minute...lots of city-dwellers moving into housing developments. When you get into the northeastern hills or in the northwestern part of the state you get back into the small-towns and working farms. We have lots of state parks here to ride at and i can say the ones in northeastern, CT are quite nice. its much like being in VT sometimes.

CT is a very expensive state to live in, in fact i think it is the MOST expensive state to live in the country. then again thats why we are the richest state. We get the hell taxed out of us and boarding at a nice facility with good trainers can run high in price. Land is definately not cheap here.

Try horsecountry realestate. They usually have some nic properties for sale or can point you in that general direction.

I live in northeastern, CT, in a small town, and i can get to hartford in 20 min-1/2 hr depending. The farther you get away from hartford; and into the hills; the more the winter sucks so prepare yourself. Its OCT 15/16 and it started snowing yesterday around 2pm and its still snowing at 20 after 7 this morning. Thank god the ground is too warm for it to stick. Those of us who live in the hilly part of CT usually get the brunt of the winter weather and it really isnt pleasant for those who dont like snow and bad winter conditions.

overall its a nice state to live in, but it is expensive. hartford is right in the middle of the state and we're a very small state so its not a bad commute from the small towns on the outskirts. I will say that due to the tremendous amount of development, etc. land is not cheap here and especially farms are not cheap.

I live near Manchester, CT (right near Windsor). It's a great area if you're a horsey person :-) Tons of places to choose from in all price ranges. And yes, it can be an expensive state, but there are also affordable areas to live. As a previous poster said, the further out you get from Hartford, the more rural it becomes, and in some cases, the less expensive. If you're looking for rural but convenient to Hartford, check out eastern CT (Somers/Stafford/Ashford/Columbia/Colchester, etc). You can live there and feel like you're away from all the commotion, but easily get into Hartford if that's where you work. As far as barns, there are a ton of H/J barns in the area. There are also dressage/combined training/western barns but I am less familiar with them. I board in the Marlborough area and pay $500 per month (board just went up a little bit this month). That gets me all-day turnout in a field, a nice indoor ring, a big lighted outdoor ring, GREAT boarders from all disciplines, GREAT barn owners who live on site, and I also get to park my trailer there. They rarely have stalls open because people rarely leave :-) Up the street, there's a show barn that charges $650 per month for basic board. I don't think it includes daily turnout (you have to pay extra). They have a small indoor and a nice outdoor. I actually trailer in there for lessons but board elsewhere. Of course, you can also find places that charge $1,000 or more per month. Depending on your needs, www.steedread.com and www.justhorses.com can be good resources. I love this area - I grew up here but have also spent a good deal of time in San Diego and Florida. I was so happy to come back (although last night's SNOW was a little unpleasant). Hope this helps - if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me

Thanks guys! I really do appreciate the information. I have forwarded this thread to my DH and looked at Steed Read and Just Horses and about a zillion real estate listings. I'm not really feelin' it. I really would not want to go to the bother of moving anywhere to go somewhere that the weather is the same as where we are now.

Thanks guys! I really do appreciate the information. I have forwarded this thread to my DH and looked at Steed Read and Just Horses and about a zillion real estate listings. I'm not really feelin' it. I really would not want to go to the bother of moving anywhere to go somewhere that the weather is the same as where we are now.
    Maybe try the Carolinas? Warmer, and quite horsey.

If you can move farther out that Hartford/Windsor, try Granby/Hartland/Suffield/around there - definitely more horsey. You could also go more pricey and go Simsbury/Avon! I grew up in Bloomfield (town next to Windsor) and rode in Granby, then my mom had a backyard barn in Hartland, then in high school I rode in Simsbury..! And now my mom works at barns in Granby and Suffield.

I recently read that CT has the highest horses-per-person or horses-per-square-foot number in the nation!

(and CT is expensive, but not as bad as Eastern MA, where I am now - oy!)

Also ask around on the equinesite.com forums - they have a CT forum!

I HATE with a passion the Hartford airport
    that's all i can contribute
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Hey RolyPolyPony,

Thanks for the input! I grew up on the North Shore of MA but didn't really get down to CT ever. I moved away from MA years ago though.

For now I think we are taking a wait and see stance and have made contingency plans for all "what-ifs"... I am still gathering some information about CT in the event that the choice about relocating is removed and we have to move. But for now I think we're going to stick it out where we are.

Hey RolyPolyPony,

Thanks for the input! I grew up on the North Shore of MA but didn't really get down to CT ever. I moved away from MA years ago though.

For now I think we are taking a wait and see stance and have made contingency plans for all "what-ifs"... I am still gathering some information about CT in the event that the choice about relocating is removed and we have to move. But for now I think we're going to stick it out where we are.
    No problem! Good luck if you stay, good luck if you go

Can you specify your horsey needs/desires a little more? Like what makes a "good" boarding barn? Trails? Lessons? Showing? Turnout? I'm in the area, might be able to point you to a couple of places...

Also, what about the human scene? What are you looking for in a place to live?

FWIW, I don't know of any equestrian communities in the area, though that could just be because I haven't heard of them.

Yea, CT can be expensive, but if you love to ride there are some wonderful areas in the the NW part of the state. Canton/New Hartford have many small family owned barns and horse properties. One thing to keep an eye on...if you have a trailer and like to get out...is to be close to the NY border where the land is amazing for riding and alot of incredible trainers, clinics, hunterpaces, etc.
    You might also tap into the USEA Area I website.

Good luck! And welcome to Connecticut. It may be expensive....but for good reason, it is a great state to live in.

RolyPoly...we have the highest horses per capita of all the states...the most horses as compared to the numbr of people living here. So we have higher percentage of horse owners vs non-horse owners than other states.
    You'd be amazed at how many peope do own horses in CT...driving through some towns in winter when the leaves are off the trees makes it easier to see into backyards and there are a lot more fences, small barns and run ins with horses peeking out than most would think!

Alternative Route...no, CT won't be cheaper on average than your area. Some towns will be cheaper to own horses in than others though. And a lot will depend on things like if you show, what discipline barn you're looking for, or if you want your horses at home, etc.

Near Hartford actually has quite a bit of horsie areas. Glastonbury is right outside of Hartford...about a 10-15 minute commute coming into Hartford on Rte 2. There's a buttload of barns there...mostly h/j barns. Seven Js, The Pines, Hunter's Run, etc. A lot of private barns that offer boarding and also a condo complex that has a stables too and is right next to Ct River trails. Wethersfield (10 minutes from Hartford) has Meadowgate Farm and is h/j, Cromwell (15 minutes from Hartford) has Riverside and Evans, C & M in Bolton (10 minutes), Four Winds in Andover (15 minutes), Oak Meadow in East Windsor and Windsor Stables in Windsor (both 15 minutes), etc. The area is pretty horse-dense. Lots of trails too. And shows are an easy commute, farriers and vets easy to find, as are feed stores and hay suppliers.

Average full board without training and without indoor runs about $400-$500 and board with an indoor runs about $600-$700 without training. Backyard private board runs on average about $350-$450 and some places offer rough board too. Not as easy to find pasture board in that area.

All within the Hartford area in an easy commute are barns for western pleasure, western gaming, hunter/jumper, eventing, dressage and saddleseat.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I live 15 minutes from Hartford and the town I live in is expensive and the taxes are high but I've lived in this town all of my life. There are a lot of horse barns in Connecticut and there are always some horseshows going on during the weekend. The board fees vary depending where you live.

Connecticut can get cold in the winter and it snowed on Friday which is unusual for October. Usually this time of the year we have an Indian summer but I guess not this year.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    CT is a big hunter/jumper state. Anything near and around hartford isnt really country or rural; it in fact is quite city-like
    Not necessarily - I live close to Misty Blue and we are about 25 minutes south of Hartford and we have horses galore around here. Very country like.

In town, on the street where I take lessons, there are 4 horse facilities in a row. 2 quite large ones.

But you are correct - land is very expensive around here, depending on which part of the state you're in.

Board varies also. You can get a nice back yard facility for $450, or a fancier place for around $650 and up.