The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had a Greenie Night tonight, too... My 6-y.o. OTTB is usually cow-placid and lazy as a sloth, but tonight I had to longe him pre-ride for the first time in close to a year. It rained all day, so he didn't get turnout (not usually a problem), and I also interrupted him before dinner and he knew it.

Oye vey. With all the drama at the other end of the longe line, you'd think he was trying out for PFR Saddle Bronc of the Year.

About all I can say of the post-longe ride was that we had some good leg yields, that was about it. And unfortunately it's supposed to be cold and rainy/snowy for the next 3 days (meaning likely no turnout), and I'm out of town until Monday so he won't get ridden, The best I can hope for is that the barn staff will relent to my begging and turn him out in the indoor for at least a couple of minutes if there are no lessons going on.

I'm not looking forward to Monday's ride.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Since the weather has gotten colder, my greenie has decided spooking is fun and stopping is overrated. Granted, he's been spooking at things like another horse flipping a salt block holder around the paddock, but this is a horse that I can ride past hay baling equipment.....while it's in use! The stopping thing is almost fun, but not the best when you're stuck in the 40m x 20m indoor!

Oh, and I haven't had time to ride him since Saturday. And I won't have time tomorrow either. That means in two days, I will have a hates-to-be-cold-and-hasn't-been-ridden-in-a-week green TB on my hands in 45 degree rainy weather.

Joy of joys. Maybe he'll surprise me and be good. You never know with greenies!

Oh how I feel your pain. My 7 (almost 8) yr old TB/Paint, who I've had for 2 years, was going great...we were having some great rides, everything seemed to finally be progressing after several interruptions...then, out of the blue, he started getting more spooky, and spooking at one particular end of the ring that never bothered him before..he was bucking at the canter...then 2 rides in a row he spooked and bucked me off..so, we realized he had not been worked as much during the week due to my and my trainer/mother's other responsibilities, so we determined we would get him worked at least a couple times a week..well last weekend, after being lunged during the week, he was back to his normal, relaxed self...his awesome, comfortable canter..relaxed jumping...Now we know we need to keep him consistently worked or his alter ego (the bad one) comes out..of course it's supposed to get cooler down here this weekend, so I'm sure my Saturday ride will be fun, fun.

I have the ultimate greenie situation. I'm a greenie and so is my horse. I have been riding for 20 years (saddleseat) but just started jumping in May. My horse is 9 and just started jumping in May. We were doing fine until my new trainer decided I needed to trot all the crossrails instead of cantering and now he wants to take off too soon and jump too big. I know I can't miss this step in his training but will I survive it is the question.

[QUOTE=bearcombs;4440337]At any moment you may experience random acts of bulging, leaning, head tilting and/or twisting, loss of steering, lack of responsiveness, sluggishness or loss of impulsion, excessive and/or sudden impulsion, possibly in combination with any of the previously mentioned side effects of being a four year old TB mare. You may also expect to experience bouts of irrational attitude, which may include but is not limited to tail swishing, ear pinning, or just plain feigning ignorance or deafness. An occasional buck and/or rear has been previously sighted but at this time is not to be expected, and definitely not tolerated.QUOTE]

This cracks me up--I thought I was the only one with this issue! My green TB does not have the excuse of being young (he's 10) or a mare--but he still will randomly throw in any combination of the above whenever he feels the need. Most likely to see such displays when another horse has left the arena, or when he can see all of the other oh-so-lucky horses outside in turnout while he is stuck in the arena working with mommy.

No rear or buck has been seen; however, rooting, pulling, bit-grabbing and smashing mommy's leg into the wall have all been witnessed on previous occasions.

I'll join the greenie support group. My new mare is 7, but still green & is learning fast how to buck! LOL She's generally quite willing to try anything, but every once in a while, that mare attitude comes though when she doesn't want to do something & wowza's, look out! Last Tuesday, we were going around quite happily learning how to do collected trot when suddenly she decided "she'd" had enough & her haunches flew out. I kept my leg steady & pushed them back in, so she decided to try & drop her head & BUCK!!! Of course, this stopped the exercise until I regained control, so she tried it again the next time I rode.......sigh.......greenies, gotta love 'em!!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Thank God it's not just me. I keep repeating I love my mare, I love my mare. This whole summer she's been amazing but oh my god... the fall friskiness will be the death of me! Every time we trot anywhere near the direction to home, it's WW3. We attempt a canter pickup, and it's head swinging, grunting, and turning into a pretzel. She is just too fresh lately. And I am home sick with the flu, and haven't been riding because of that so god knows how this will go this coming week... Horrible! I keep telling myself there is light at the end of the tunnel, but boy is it frustrating at times!

As crazy as this thread is, this is a huge sigh of relief that I'm not the only one! My greenie thought it would be fun to spook and bolt across the 100 X 200 arena today. Luckily, I stayed on but boy, it's a little unnerving sometimes! It seems like there is no fall this year, just went from summer to winter!

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    I had a Greenie Night tonight, too... My 6-y.o. OTTB is usually cow-placid and lazy as a sloth, but tonight I had to longe him pre-ride for the first time in close to a year. It rained all day, so he didn't get turnout (not usually a problem), and I also interrupted him before dinner and he knew it.

Oye vey. With all the drama at the other end of the longe line, you'd think he was trying out for PFR Saddle Bronc of the Year.

About all I can say of the post-longe ride was that we had some good leg yields, that was about it. And unfortunately it's supposed to be cold and rainy/snowy for the next 3 days (meaning likely no turnout), and I'm out of town until Monday so he won't get ridden, The best I can hope for is that the barn staff will relent to my begging and turn him out in the indoor for at least a couple of minutes if there are no lessons going on.

I'm not looking forward to Monday's ride.
    I found myself one day last spring wondering if my greenie was part Lippazner as he performed near perfect caprioles on the lunge line. Luckily, usually even if he's wild on the lunge hes pretty quiet under tack. All of our horses were "perky" this past week and my baby was no exception. He was pretty good, but we too had to go back to lunging before riding for a few days. On Wednesday he was an ass and spooking at everything and anything-poles on the ground, a pumpkin, dirt, a jacket handing on a jump standard. He spooked at nothing and took off but because he is lazy lazy lazy that only resulted in a lope for about 10 strides before he decided that was a bad idea.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

I need to join the greenie support group as well I have two four year olds right now. I trailered one over to an arena for my lesson Friday night. I'll just start by saying that he is no small boy. He's a running bred QH, about 16.1 and built like a freight train, with legs to match. He is super sweet, adorable, lovey, you name it. I've been trying to get the boys out of the house a bit, just for lots of life experiences, and up until this week, they've been doing really well. We've even taken them to the mountains recently and had a very enjoyable time on a three hour ride.

Anyhow, on Friday night we get to the arena. I tack up and take him in. Typically, you could set a bomb off in front of his face and he'd maybe stop and look for a moment, then carry on like nothing happened. Very laid back.

Well - there was one 17 + hand horse, and one 18 hand horse in the ring, as well as us, another horse his size, and one smaller. OMG - you would have thought the two big ones were going to literally eat him alive They'd come towards him and he would just panic. It was actually kind of comical and I couldn't help laughing at him when he was finished trying to do the spin and bolt thing. He was absolutely petrified of them Poor guy - he had a very traumatic evening. He was going sideways and backwards so fast that I had to do a lot of apologizing for his behavior. I did get told by everyone that I can sure stick to a horse though.......

My other guy, I took to the arena today. No lesson, just a ride. He was a nutjob as well. No spooking at other horses, but there was a stud turned out nearby that made him completely mental, he tried to destroy the trailer on the way over, was high as a kite in the arena and then decided to be a jerk loading up to go home when he normally hops right in with little to no prompting.

I hope it's just this wacky weather we're having, cause they're starting to drive me a little bit crazy myself!

lol...my new 5 year old, fresh off the track TB arrived yesterday We had cool, sunny fall day today with a brisk wind and man was he feeling good. Definitely made me feel that the winter of ground work I have planned is a gooood idea.
    Integrative BodyWorks Blog
    'Cause every pony deserves a good rub!

...And then there's the OTHER side of baby greeniedom, too, which is that here I have a young horse who physically NEEDS to wait and take the winter off, and he was So... Freakin... AWESOME yesterday that it's really really tempting to keep him in training through the winter and do what, for him, would be a "rush" JUST to get him into the show ring next year.

Talk me out of it, people... My hand keeps trying to sneak over to the phone... It's like that Dr. Strangelove thing...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief