The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *Spinoff from Safechoice thread

Can someone recommend a feed for my horse? I currently have him on safechoice but would like to switch. I don't like the idea of the ingredients being changed all the time.

Here is some info on my horse:

6 year old standardbred-we live in Florida

gets about 4-6 flakes of light t&a per day

out on pasture all night

he is in light dressage work

takes an ulcer and joint supplement.

currently gets a half scoop of feed twice daily (the regular square scoops)

TIA
    be kind to your horses mouth!

There are many excellent feeds out there. Tell us what your priorities are. Are you looking for something low starch? Do you want more energy, less energy, or about the same energy level that you've got now? Does your horse have allergies, or are you perhaps ingredient-phobic (I for example am ingredient-phobic about corn, but other people dislike soy or alfalfa or whatever)? Do you need something pre-mixed, or do you have the facilities to mix ingredients for each meal? Do you have the ability to soak ingredients if necessary (thinking here of beet pulp)?

And most importantly, what brands are available in your area? No point in us recommending something that you can't even get...

Offhand suggestion? 1lb ration balancer, or a vit/min supp, and a couple of pounds (or whatever he needs) alfalfa pellets.

Easy

i am fine with his energy level now, but i am bringing him back into work after a lameness issue. so right now we are trail riding and doing long and low trot work to build topline. he is an easy keeper for the most part. in my area nutrena, seminole, manna pro, purina

i do not like the idea of soy in his food, i've just heard too many bad things about it. he also gets a bran mash once a week.
    be kind to your horses mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by dbadaro View Post
    i am fine with his energy level now, but i am bringing him back into work after a lameness issue. so right now we are trail riding and doing long and low trot work to build topline. he is an easy keeper for the most part. in my area nutrena, seminole, manna pro, purina

i do not like the idea of soy in his food, i've just heard too many bad things about it. he also gets a bran mash once a week.
    Of the feeds you listed, I'd chose a Seminole product.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Bulk prepared feeds CAN change ingredients depending on availability-part of the country has bad weather and a poor yield so the cost goes high and supply scarce? Feed mills will use something else.

Many times I have used a brand name and seen a horse suddenly change in condition-go to read the label and it has changed from what it was. Big, respected names and small mills alike.

That is one reason I have come to prefer a good hay based diet and will go to something like an alfalfa cube over a bunch of additives or commercial preparations. Yeah, hay is inconsistent quality wise too-but you can see and smell it, even in a cube, and know your supplier and his sources.

I'm not convinced that soy is anything other then a legume usually in plentiful supply and reasonable cost wise. Not sure I'd be in a hurry to switch if a feed containing it has worked well for you. Now, if you suddenly have one higher then a kite? Then you need to go read that label and see what has changed. But of the horse has not changed on a feed it's been on for awhile and is in good health? I wouldn't switch.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.