The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Which Sandro Hit son would you use??? Sorry, kinda long!

I have a mare that I was hesitant to use with an S line stallion because she is a bit on the hot/nervous side and her oldest foal is just three this year. Both the fillies I have had from her are by Don Frederico. The youngest we lost in a freak accident this summer and the oldest is three and has been under saddle for a month. This filly is the quintesential "chestnut mare". Opinionated, bossy, dominant with people and horses and LOVES to show off, throw temper tantrums ect. She is VERY high energy and busy all the time. Very skin sensitive. She was a handful to start but wow, is she ever a SUPERSTAR under saddle!. She loves it, she tries really hard, she is very athletic and super behind. Three GOOD gaits and naturally forward. My trainer loves her and he starts a tonne of youngsters.

Now, I have heard that Don Fred often produces the above temperament, so I cannot say forsure that it is from the dam but who's to know? The problem here is that this mare is 16 hh and shorter legged and so are her offspring. I would like to add some height and leggyness but I want to keep this rideability (she is heavily linebred A line, so I am pretty sure it's coming through her). I am breeding for a highly competative dressage mount that is quality enough for a professional but RIDEABLE.

We did have a Sir Donnerhall filly from this mare's half sister this year (first S line we have had) and I am more than happy with her in every way. She is more sensitive, but definately my kind of horse. The type is super. I think typewise, Stedinger would be a fantastic match with the above mare and that is who I am leaning too. I realize the offspring often tend to be shy as youngsters but that is ok...this mare is very friendly and people loving. Anyways, which SH son will give me height , the SH type AND rideability?? Who would you use and why? Or , would you consider SH himself?

Here are a few pics of the mare (Longchamp/Arkansas/Akzent II).

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...2_edited-1.jpg
    http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...7_edited-1.jpg

Thanks a tonne!!
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

You should speak with Judy Yancey. Judy is a successful breeder and she has seen lots and lots of SH progeny, seen what they produce, seen what SH produces, frankly, it's hard to think of anyone in NA who has seen more. Overall Judy is a great resource… why don’t you give her a call?

The "hot/sensitive" nature of some Don Frederico offspring comes from the Trakehner damsire (Consul), and from Gotthard in the pedigree of the dam's damsire.

I absolutely would not use Stedinger on a hot/nervous mare unless you are capable of raising a hot/sensitive/highly reactive foal and getting it into the hands of a GOOD professional. He is a spectacular stallion that produces stunning offspring, but they need to be raised/trained/ridden pretty carefully by people with a lot of tact and patience.

I think you would be much better off using Sir Donnerhall on that mare.

Pretty girl!

I am not making a general suggestion for your particular mare, but you may want to consider
    Serano Gold (Sandro Hit- Grundstein II - Futuro) I bred him to my Rohdiamant - Akzent II - Traumdeuter) mare. Here is a link to his information, there are several photos and some video on the website. His semen was very good.
    http://www.hengststation-ahlers.de/s...old_en-50.html]

He has an excellent mare line, there have been several stallion sons from his dam, and a quick scan of the newly posted Oldenburg stallion selections appear that she has produced one by Dimaggio that is in this years licensing.
    SG has two sons in it as well.
    Last edited by sixpoundfarm; Oct. 15, 2009 at 12:51 PM.

There was a discussion of Sando Hit sons (in NA) started last November that might have some insights to add...
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...andro+Hot+Sons

I'd certainly go with the great man himself, Sandro Hit, as long as his semen is available.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Thanks guys
    Downyonder, I can't really imagine it being much more sensitive than the Don Fred filly ...I am ok with it as long as the rideability is there. By that I mean the try, the work ethic, the natural forwardness and the physical attributes that make the job easy . Sensitivity under saddle is good ...quick reaction is good. The horse will get into the hands of a professional who is very talented with young dressage horses and will stay there if need be.

What I don't want is a horse that is as my filly is on the ground but terrible to ride or one that has a poor work ethic. If this filly hated to work, I have no idea what I would do with her lol.

I have never really heard how the SH's are to ride? I know they aren't typically ammy horses but in all honesty I don't want to produce a "dumbblood" if you know what I mean?

Stedinger was first on my list because I know he VERY reliably produces tall. I also love the prettiness and type of his offspring..have yet to see one I don't think is drop dead gorgeous. Plus he is homozygous for black, which never hurts. In all honesty, we only breed a few foals a year and they are handled every day from birth ...they come in the barn at night until they are two year olds so it wont be like the foal is just thrown out to grow up with limited human handling. If there is a shyness or need for extra time, the foal will get it.

I also like Sinatra Song......does he throw height?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Well I have had 2 Sagnol foals and could not be more pleased with their super laidback temperments. My filly is 2yrs old and pretty well the "bombproof" type though moves very well and was a Gold Premium filly with the RPSI. Her dam was very quiet as well so could have got that from mom.
    My colt from this year was out of a MUCH hotter mare and I was a bit worried about this cross. However, he is just as quiet as my 2yr old! Sagnol definately has produced two very quiet foals for me that move very well and I love them both. I will definately be breeding back to him in the future!
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Sinatra Song does throw height. I have a 15 month old Sinatra Filly who is now just about as tall as her dam - 15.1ish. Safe to say she's going to mature a tad bigger than mom.

I wouldn't call her hot, nervous, or spooky at all. She's pretty much fearless. But she may very well have gotten that from her dam, though.

Judy

P.S. -- Another one you might want to look into is Soprano. He is Sandro Hit x Contender, I believe.
    Last edited by jdeboer01; Oct. 15, 2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Add on.
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

Quote Originally Posted by sixpoundfarm View Post
    Pretty girl!

I used Serano Gold (Sandro Hit- Grundstein II - Futuro) on my Rohdiamant - Akzent II - Traumdeuter) mare. Here is a link to his information, there are several photos and some video on the website. His semen was very good.
    http://www.hengststation-ahlers.de/s...old_en-50.html
    I second Serano Gold- we love our filly by him and mare caught on one dose

I had a Schroeder (Sandro Hit-Escudo I)colt this year out of my Dutch Ferro mare and he not only had beautiful movement but is the sweetest, kindest puppy dog baby I ever bred. He was sold quite early too but we are boarding him for his new owner in Canada until spring. Here is a picture from his AHS inspection at Hilltop Farm. He was also 2nd in the open 2009 colt class at FairHill Dressage Breed Show. I have to say though, he was sold as a jumper prospect, but I think he would do well in a dressage career as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sir Real LJStrot AHS3web1.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	26967  

Ooohh, we had a Sandro Hit out of our full TB mare. Superstition was a puppy dog in personality and had height and length of leg too. He was a premium foal and his new owners just love him.

This year we had a Soprano out of an older style Hano mare. He improved the length of leg on her as well and the inspectors commented on his good walk. He was also Premium.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    I think typewise, Stedinger would be a fantastic match with the above mare and that is who I am leaning too. I realize the offspring often tend to be shy as youngsters but that is ok...this mare is very friendly and people loving. !
    Donella, I know people keep saying that re Stedinger offspring on this board but my own experiences could not be more different. My Stedinger colt this year has a 10 temperament and was very people oriented from the moment he hit the ground (as soon as he could stand the first thing he did -befire nursing - was greet each of the 4 people in his stall). He has impeccable manners and is happy to oblige with anything asked of him. He stands perfectly for the farrier, vet, baths, bodyclipping, etc. When I come home in the evening he is always the first to greet me at the gate and runs around in little circles when he sees the headlights from my car - like a puppy. While it is true that his dan, by Hohenstein, also has a wonderful temperament, I have trouble believing that Stedinger produces shy kids because mine is the easiest foal I have ever had. In addition, the colt is very handsome and a very good mover. His dam is back in foal to Stedinger for next year, and if she has another colt I will breed her again to Stedinger to try for a filly.
    Last edited by YankeeLawyer; Oct. 15, 2009 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post

I have never really heard how the SH's are to ride? I know they aren't typically ammy horses but in all honesty I don't want to produce a "dumbblood" if you know what I mean?
    My riding horse is Sandro Hit x Donnerhall. She is very fun to ride. I would not say she is a beginner's horse because, while she is very safe, she does *exactly* what you ask of her without delay, so you need to ask her correctly. She is a great teacher because of this. She is the type that turns if you just think "turn," but is not hot or sensitive in a bad way. She can be a little lazy when you first get on her but once she is warmed up after a few minutes, she gets right down to work. You may have seen some vid of her - she is the dam of my Rousseau filly, Rihanna. I purposefully left her open this year so I can put her back under saddle.

Forgive me if I'm way off base (Dressage breeding is definitely not my specialty), but.. is there a specific reason why you're set on using a Sandro Hit son specifically? If you want a Dressage type that's leggy and modern and tall but that is calmer and more rideable, then why not consider an R-line stallion?

Isn't the R line well known for producing friendly, rideable horses?

Good point ASB, breed her to Rubignon, get super temperament, the height, the type and then call the foal "Right Hit"
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

If you're looking for height, I'd investigate the stallion 6# mentioned. Futuro, to the best of my knowledge, is very reliable for height, but that's not the only reason I like to see Futuro in a pedigree. A friend of mine used to have a Futuro mare who was an excellent producer in terms of rideability and movement -- and her foals were BIG: 17hh or better.

The only problem may be that that stallion is Oldenburg and you may me looking for Hanoverian-approved.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

If you want leggy and modern type, but also good rideability, why not try Blu Hors Romanov?
    I only know one Stedinger kid, gorgeous mare, very hot and sensitive, but good for a professional rider. The two direct SH kids I know . . . they are definitely not my cup of tea in the rideability department, for either an ammi or a pro.

Default Ok, I'll Chime in here

I've had foals from various Sandro Hit Line stallions and will give my impression..

I have a four year old by Stedinger out of a Corrado USA mare. Of course the mare is very personable, bold and inquisitive. Her son, is a bit cheaky and very smart but absolutely a safe and fun horse to ride. He could be a pro's horse for his gaits but has an amateur suitable temperament. If things are explained to him that allow him to gain confidence he is fantastic. And oh, wow what a canter! Best canter of any horse I have.

I also have a 2 year old Sir Donnerhall filly. wonderful type, excellent elasticity. A bit over reactive at times - so if sold (she is ear tagged as a broodmare for our farm), she would need to go to someone who is used to sensitive and has patience. I've been told by others that the Sir Donnerhalls do better once they have been put to work. Her damline is Feiner Stern. Her dam was also sensitive as a young horse. However, her other foals have not been so.

I also have a yearling Sure Hit filly out of a TB. She has expressive gaits and elegant head/expresion. She is definately the "in your pocket" type.
    Eowyn Brewer
    Serendipity Sporthorses
    Http://www.serendipitysporthorses.com

I'd also go with R line. Rubignon is an excellent idea... he's stunning, to the point where you literally can't even take your eyes of him. Whether he's in his paddock, or all braided and shined up... really a super horse. Nice long legs, short back, pretty head, sure seems like a sweet guy too.

I'd go with R over S any day, especially when temperament is a consideration. I'm not really on the Sandro Hit bandwagon, but I do like Stedinger. I've heard that he can produce difficult offspring, but for the most part they've been very nice looking horses, can't say I've ever seen one I didn't like. I also like Sinatra Song, he seems to be fairly popular and produces lovely long legged offspring. I'm also interested to see what Sir Donnerhall II does, I like him better than SD I as a youngster, but we'll see how he matures. Does he have a foal crop on the way yet?

I'm sure they exist, but I can't think of any off the top of my head, are there any Sandro Hit/ R line stallions out there?

Regarding Don Frederico, I've heard the same about his offspring being a bit ill tempered at times. I personally only know two; a two year old stallion who lives at my place who is the SWEETEST and most willing animal you'll ever meet (he apparently didn't read the book about how two year old stud colts are supposed to be crazy and only think about hormones.. he's such a lovely guy), the other is a rathy mean and nasty year old filly. Although as a whole, I have heard his offspring can tend to lay on the side of a little more challenging, interesting being a Donnerhall son... there's always exceptions though
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud